News

Abraham Kiptum WINS Access Bank Lagos City Marathon for 2nd Year in a Row

BellaNaija.com

He won in 2016 and today, he crossed the finish line first once again.

Kenyan Abraham Kiptum won the Lagos City Marathon this morning with a time of 2:15:20.

The first woman to cross the finish line was Rodah Tanuyi.

The first Nigerian man to finish the race was Pam Mwanta. He will receive a N1 Million prize.

Nigeria’s Hannah Babalola also became a two-time winner as she won the Women’s Wheelchair category.

Congrats to the champs.

More updates soon.

1. #Proudnigerian

February 11, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Please do the marathon in Kenya lol what is the point keeping lagos on a stand still and another nationality wins? I am not understanding. It’s either you do it in Kenya or make it strictly a Nigerian marathon . Congrats to the winner tho??

• Receive sense

February 11, 2017 at 3:15 pm

You’re talking trash. So when foreigners win the Boston marathon it’s okay but when a foreigner wins a Nigerian marathon it’s not okay? Nansense. ??

• Native Son

April 23, 2017 at 12:13 am

Proud Nigerian,

The Access Lagos Marathon is an INTERNATIONAL MARATHON!

That means, it’s open to everybody on Planet Earth.

After all , they are giving awards to the top Nigerian finishers with the winner getting a million Nairas. So, regardless of who the winner is, the top Nigerian, whether he finishes 20th, wins a million Nairas.

Secondly, if you want to be like us, (I am Kenyan by the way) the only way to attain that goal is to copy what we do (as well as our great neighbours to the North, the Ethiopians)!

Learn from the best and you will be good even if not great!

If you keep it only to yourselves, you’ll continue being mediocre as far as long distance running is concerned.

Every time we are grouped with Nigeria in the WC qualifiers or AFCON, we end up losing 3-0 to you guys and we don’t cry about it!

We’d all like to be like you in football but we won’t cry just because we are not!

Step up Nigeria and stop the whining.

Oh, and by the way, Kiptum (Abraham) and Tanui (Rhoda Jepkorir) the two respective winners of the men’s and women’s races can’t even place in the top 50 in Kenya..

They’d be very lucky to crack the top 50 but I can bet a thousand dollars that non can crack the top 30.

If you are scared of these guys, you should see the real warriors who run New York, Boston, London, Tokyo, Boston and Chicago, Berlin, Paris e.t.c……the top marathons in the world.

Rhoda ran 2:37.

This year’s Paris winner, Purity Rionoripo ran 2:20 while the men’s winner, who also happens to be her husband (Paul) ran 2:06!

Abraham Kiptum ran 2:15 in Lagos.

I know the topography and weather are factors but everyone who was in Lagos including the Ethiopians is a second tier marathon runner.

Come on guys, come on Nigerians, pull up your socks.

We are lonely at the top!

Native Son,
      Nyahururu, Kenya.

2. Sugar

February 11, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I think winners shoukd be disqualified from registering next year. This same guy will keep winning in 10years ic they allow him again. There should be some set rules

3. Sugar

February 11, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I think winners should be disqualified from registering next year. This same guy will keep winning in 10years if they allow him again. There should be some set rules

4. #Proudnigerian

February 11, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Ahn ahn why are you angry na. It’s Lagos, it’s Nigeria I do not care what happens in Boston. Please take chloes cupcake icecream for the pain.

5. Mahka

February 11, 2017 at 5:40 pm

BNers, I ran the same race in 7 hours 30 mins…I must praise myself cos am not even half of Wat this Kenya guy is but I attempt to walk the same path he did…it wasn’t funny, I thought it was fun until 3rd mainland bridge…chai.
    Pls clap for me. I’d so happy. Lol
    ps, not doing this ever again, my medal will be proof for twenty years???

• Mannie

February 11, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Congrats Mahka!

6. #Proudnigerian

February 11, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Atewoooo????

7. Nonso

February 11, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Hardwork and consistency sure pays. Congrats to the winners and all that participated.

• Faith Basilia

February 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

Sure o,my brother…all we need do is work harder and stop complaining about other people’s success.That as far as i know them is their resources,and Nigerians need to put in more effort/s,and encouragement,most especially on marathon racer/s.

8. LemmeRant