Sweet Spot

Harvard Graduate Shares Inspiring Success Story

BellaNaija.com

Facebook user, Shannon Satonori Lytle, shared his success story on his page yesterday. It’s very inspiring tale on how determination can get you where you need to be to become who you want to be.

Harvard Graduate Shares Inspiring Story to Success

Read his story below:

In high school, I flipped burgers at McDonald’s so I could afford the privilege of taking the SAT. I fed and cared for my three baby siblings until they went to sleep and stayed up until 4am to do my homework. I walked home through a dangerous part of the city after extracurriculars because I couldn’t afford a car. I stuck my laptop out of my window at night to steal my neighbour’s wifi and finish my schoolwork.

I was scoffed at and told, “from this part of Ohio, only the children of doctors and lawyers get to go to Ivy League Schools.” In college, I panicked when my laptop broke because I had worked 150 minimum wage hours to buy it. I scrubbed toilets, shelved books, and sold clothing so I could chase my dreams and travel the world. Throughout my life, I have manoeuvred and begged for every kind of subsidy and coupon. I’m the son of a warehouse worker and an immigrant; a first generation student.

Today, I graduated from Harvard.

Source: facebook.com/shannonlytle

1. Rukkah Muhammad

May 28, 2017 at 7:44 am

Beautiful.. well done young man, better days await u…

2. Truth-be-told

May 28, 2017 at 7:47 am

If you dream it, and work hard at it, you will achieve it. ?

3. Teekay

May 28, 2017 at 8:31 am

A little something for you all that think the grass is way greener over there (aka they pluck money from trees in the US of A). The same applies everywhere. Work hard, work smart, be determined. Have a blessed week.

4. Marlee

May 28, 2017 at 9:12 am

I salute you. In life it’s only focus and determination that get us exactly where we want to be.

5. Phineas

May 28, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Inspiring, good to see young people still working hard to succeed and not everyone is looking for a short cut.

6. unadite

May 28, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Wow!. Truly inspiring! “I know I can, be where I wanna be, if I work hard at it, I’ll be where I wanna be’

7. Oma

May 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I am inspired!

8. Me

May 28, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Beautiful story but it seems incomplete to me. What about the funding for the Harvard education? Based on my understanding the father is the immigrant so technically the son may have been born in the US and therefore entitled to Student Loans etc by virtue of citizenship. People need to get the whole picture, a job flipping burgers cannot pay for a Harvard Degree. Someone else who may be aspiring needs to know because hard work, dedication and perseverance is one, finances is another and a big deal in attaining this without a scholarship especially for international students.

• John

May 30, 2017 at 12:53 am

Harvard and other prestigious schools meet 100% of demonstrated financial aid. This is both basic and well known among the reasonably well informed.

• iJo

May 30, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Did you read his post properly? He already said he is a first generation graduate. Every well informed person knows education at an ivy league school is expensive even for American citizens. Hence, the availability of financial aid!

9. To "me"

May 28, 2017 at 6:00 pm

His father is the factory worker his mother is the immigrant. YOU don’t have the complete story. Harvard gives academic and financial need based aid out to almost all of its students. No one pays for the full tuition. He’s not just a poor boy he’s a brilliant one at that. Valedictorian of his class and all around amazing person.

10. ak

May 28, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Harvard has one of the largest education funding pool in the world, by virtue of his status as a first generational student to attend college he would have been eligible for scholarship in that category and can get as much as full tuition scholarship based on the amount they have available, his SAT scores etc. He could have also taken a loan or gotten federal aid which isn’t a big deal in the US, even international students can get private loans.

• ak2

May 29, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Pls copy the version you read so Bella can post it. Private loans are available to international students but how many people with a blue passport and good credit score are willing to sign off on you as a guarantor taking into consideration the risk involved if you fail to pay up? How about the interest rates?Do you know that you need to start paying off your private loan 6mths after graduating and that means a job immediately (we all hope for the best but one needs to be realistic, how soon is one getting a job?). Then how much is the job paying? As an international student you need a H1b visa in other words a company that’s willing to sponsor that and how many American organisations are willing to sponsor an international student when they may as well hire an American one who doesn’t cost them extra? Are you coming back to Nigeria to get the job? Look, there is a lot involved than just saying private loans are available to international students.

11. fleur

May 29, 2017 at 4:27 am

And he has the face of an angel……..that is the next success story to watch. Mark my words. He aint gonna slack. That drive is the difference between rich and okay.

12. Tony

May 29, 2017 at 12:26 pm

He should not deceive himself or anybody. He did get a scholarship from the school of course, so he shouldn’t deceive anyone . Sometimes, they just write these things to discourage others from going there and if you follow that , you will think that’s the way. Nice story though.

• Ferrari

May 29, 2017 at 7:46 pm

you know he had to have had really good grades to earn a scholarship, right? so yes he really did work very hard under very harsh conditions and poverty to achieve this. don’t try to still it from him with your bitterness and envy.

• Ferrari

May 29, 2017 at 7:46 pm

*steal

13. Hannah

May 29, 2017 at 3:08 pm

This is beautiful…Keep it up drl

14. Michael

May 29, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Hmmmm, nothing is as strong as human spirit n determination to succeed n b countd a success.Congratulatn