News

Why I Collect Ransoms in Dollars – Notorious Kidnapper Evans

BellaNaija.com

Chukwudi Dumeme Onuamadike a.k.a Evans | Photo Credit: NAN Photo

Nigeria’s “richest and most notorious kidnapper” Chukwudi Dumeme Onuamadike, also known as Evans, has said that he chose to collect ransom in dollars to be different.

He made this known on Sunday while speaking with journalists after he was paraded at the State’s Police Command in Ikeja.

He said he started kidnapping in 2015, after he left his spare parts business.

His claim however contradicts the police’s statement which said he was declared wanted in 2013 after a failed kidnap.

Evans claimed that he lost N20 million to customs officers, which made him to leave his trade.

He was arrested in his mansion in Magodo area of the state on Saturday.

Evans, who, according to the police, has collect $1 million from at least four victims said:

I can’t figure out how much I have collected so far or how many people I have kidnapped, but I have kidnapped up to 10 since 2015. I chose to collect ransom in dollars to be different, and the maximum I have collected as ransom so far is 1 million dollars. I work in two groups. A team moves with me to kidnap victims while we hand over to the other team that takes the victim to the hide out. Kingsley introduced me to kidnapping, but I usually get my ammunition from one Chinedu and Ehis whom I met at Ago-Iwoye. I also do drug business that enabled me to buy my property.

Photo Credit: NAN Photo

1. C

June 12, 2017 at 5:00 am

Am I surprised more at Nigerian police actually finding and prosecuting a criminal or that sm1 actually gave this guy 1million dollars. Please if any1 kidnap me god forbid but if anyone try kidnap me just no say u suppose happy if person give you $50 that’s 7hours of back breaking labor above that your market don loss be that.

• lala

June 12, 2017 at 9:05 am

yea we all will like to say that, but the day they kidnap your son, daughter, worthy husband or wife, father whom you know labored to make you who you are today you will be willing to give more than a million if you have it.

….i want to believe you are worth more than that to some people as well

• Dami

June 12, 2017 at 5:15 pm

if you have had any close relative kidnappediatrician, trust me even if you have 100,000 naija as your life savings….you will produce 2million dollars. these guys are merciless. They don’t give a hoot about your life.

2. o

June 12, 2017 at 8:10 am

They should also investigate the ppl that paid $1m cash. These guys don’t just kidnap randomly (most times). They must have gotten info about those that had that kind of money. About 4 different ppl paid $1m as ransom. Is it even legal to have that amount in cash?

• Cyn

June 12, 2017 at 8:41 am

You do realised that between 2010 and 2014/15 $1million was 150 t0 197 million naira?
      The fact that you don’t have it doesn’t mean hardworking people don’t. Esp businessmen like transporters and traders.

• Summer

June 12, 2017 at 9:01 am

They don’t just kidnap fire! May they not kidnap your relatives. They know who to target o. There are billionaires in this country, legit and shady. $1 m was less than 200m before recession so you don’t even have to be a billionaire. And we know that some people have way more than that 200m in their accounts. Some sell off assets urgently and/or borrow from friends and family. Plus they’re probably friends with bank CEOs so the money gets changed to USD asap, no questions asked. And if they’re close/rich enough, sharp sharp loan. I read somewhere that they’d keep some victims for months!

All we have to say is Thank you Lord!

• lala

June 12, 2017 at 9:06 am

My father thought me not to think every rich man is a thief. God can bless more than the devil

• Seriously

June 18, 2017 at 2:20 pm

You raised legit question and points. But Nigeria is a lawless country. The response to your comment is even more distorted. Its not a matter whether you have it or not. There are a lot of Nigerians doing illegal business to become rich.
      The people who paid the money should also be investigated, there’s a connection somewhere. How does he target people he kidnaps?
      Here in the u.s you can’t walk around with $1mil cash. I guess none of them use bank bcos the banks should have been aware something shady was going on

3. Tri.

June 12, 2017 at 8:30 am

What I don’t understand is why after acquiring such wealth and properties via kidnapping, he didn’t go clean? He could have laundered his ill gotten money into any legal businesses and stay off crime. Foolish cunt!

• Babym

June 12, 2017 at 8:39 am

Greed!

• lala

June 12, 2017 at 9:08 am

Apart from greed, the only reason anyone will do this to get money in the first place is because his heart is desperately wicked so since he never purge the heart, he will continue to be wicked nanni

• EbonyFre

June 19, 2017 at 10:25 am

A shoddy rich Yoruba man will do that. He’ll clean up nicely!! Not Ibo

• EbonyFre

June 19, 2017 at 10:25 am

*shady

4. Me

June 12, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Biafra will be one hot mess! Everybody will be kidnapping everybody. Please let them go FAST! And no, I am not a tribalist, just a realist.

• KPOMKWEM

June 12, 2017 at 2:50 pm

YES, YOU ARE… IGBOS HAVE THE GREATEST NUMBER OF HARD WORKING PEOPLE IN NIGER AREA. HENCE, THE CAUTION FROM OJUKWU THAT “WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE AS A PEOPLE IS TOO FRIGTHENING TO ATTRACT LOVE.”

• Tosan

June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am

You are a stupid tribalist. If they check u now,u will be nothing to write home about!!!

5. Elwar

June 23, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Don’t judge any man’s wealth until end of his life.