News

“We are not Rapists”: Taxify Drivers hold Protest in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Taxify drivers are currently protesting around Lagos, carrying placards with inscription “We are not rapists,”  “We are not kidnappers,” “We are partners in this business,” “No driver partners, No Taxify, No Uber, No Riders,” “We need respect from riders,” among others.

The protest is coming on the heels of recent events where actress Dorcas Shola Fapson accused a driver of attempting to kidnap and rape her. The driver, in his response, claimed she refused to set her destination, and that resulted in a fracas between both of them with the actress using pepper spray on him.

The driver, through his lawyers, had also threatened to sue her for defamation of character if she doesn’t issue an apology.

See photos and video of the protest below:

1. Beht why

February 1, 2018 at 4:30 pm

“We are the sole of this business”. Same, my dear, same.

• miss_nk

February 1, 2018 at 8:58 pm

lol illiteracy is a terrible thing

2. adelegirl

February 1, 2018 at 4:44 pm

What spurred this protest – the DSF saga or their dissatisfaction with Uber and Taxify? They may not all be rapists and kidnappers but please there have been several stories about Taxify and Uber drivers who raped, assaulted, kidnapped or were downright rude and unprofessional to their riders. Insincere people – they should have protested against the criminal elements in their midst when stories about sinister drivers became the norm.

3. Seriously

February 1, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Misplaced priorities. What about you guys work on making sure your riders feel safe. And the drivers don’t act suspicious. Respect and trust is earned and reciprocal. When I take uber here, I take extra precaution. This is the U.S where it’s a lot safer than Nigeria. I’ve never experienced bad things neither do I feel like uber drivers are rapists but it’s just for my own safety.

4. mrs o

February 1, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Oh please! These people are their own problem. Yesterday, one taxify guy shows up in a car different from the one that he registered on the app. I refused to go on the ride and the guy ws legit trying to get me to go with him, saying that its not a big deal! Same thing happened this morning with another driver! Now, they wonder why people are wary of them. Taxify seriously needs to vet their drivers. I dont see why you would be driving a car separate from the one you registered if you are not a dodgy character! And now they are here crying foul. Mscheeww

• Yellow sun

February 2, 2018 at 7:28 am

Different car different driver..the photo on the app was different from the him totally and he didn’t even know the correct name he registered with..ahhh
      I said pls Go ..he refused saying he will take me..i just walked back into my office and used uber instead…

5. Philadel

February 1, 2018 at 6:18 pm

I am confused. Where is Taxify in all of this?
    In a business where the employees (the drivers) feel like they can directly address the customers (the source of income) in this way and not their employer, especially in this time of PR healing, they just made things worse for the company.
    It would be interesting to see how Taxify reacts to this.

6. Philadel

February 1, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I am confused. Where is Taxify in all of this? Are these people protesting on behalf of Taxify or is this an independent protest? And if the later is the case, do they still have jobs after this? Because from how I see this, they are directly addressing Taxify’s customers, and accusing them of being rude, as well as acting under the insinuation that they are the “sole” of the business – ie they the drivers not the riders.
    In a business where the employees (the drivers) feel like they can directly address the customers in this way and not their employer, especially in this time of PR healing, they just made things worse for the company.
    It would be interesting to see how Taxify reacts to this.

7. Cutie

February 2, 2018 at 9:20 am

Beht why do we over-do our tings nah…

8. Bade

February 5, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I honestly feel bad for them. True, they are not perfect, and maybe not the most polished professionals. But, many of these drivers are honest, hardworking, diligent women and men trying to make an honest living in a difficult country. I don’t know what to make of the DSF allegations, as it is quite confusing. But, I will say that Taxify should use this opportunity to strengthen their processes to protect innocent riders and drivers alike from such problems in the future.