News

BREAKING: Oby Ezekwesili steps down from Presidential Race

BellaNaija.com

Presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN) and former Minister of Education Obiageli “Oby” Ezekwesili has announced that she’s stepping down from the race.

She made this known in a series of tweets on Thursday morning. She wrote:

Following the reactions of Nigerian citizens at home and abroad to the 2019 Presidential Debate held on Saturday 19 January 2019, and after extensive consultations with leaders from various walks of life across the country over the past few days…

I have decided to step down from the presidential race and focus on helping to build a Coalition for a viable alternative to the #APCPDP in the 2019 general elections.

This coalition for a viable alternative has now more than ever before become an urgent mission for and on behalf of the citizenry.

Over the past three months, I have been in private extended talks with other candidates to make a coalition possible that would allow Nigerians to exercise choice without feeling helplessly saddled with the #APCPDP.

In doing so, I have not hesitated to offer my willingness to step down my candidacy in order to facilitate the emergence of a strong and viable alternative behind which Nigerians can line up in our collective search for a new beginning.

My commitment in this regard has been consistent and in consonance with my agreement, at the request of then aspirants under PACT in 2018, to supervise their internal selection process as an outside observer passionate about building this alternative force.

Despite disagreements within the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria on these and other issues, I have decided that it is now necessary to show by action and example my determination on this issue by stepping down my candidacy and focusing on building the coalition once and for all.

1. Pee

January 24, 2019 at 7:33 am

Nigerian politics is like ludo… just scattered and confusing

• Anon

January 24, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Ludo isn’t even scattered and confusing.

2. nene+

January 24, 2019 at 8:02 am

stepping down to support who? Another unknown candidate? If you don’t want support Atiku,kuku join APC ma. History will note all who joined to inflict Nigeria with the plague called Buhari!

3. nene+

January 24, 2019 at 8:03 am

….if you don’t want to****

4. Tony

January 24, 2019 at 8:36 am

True leader. A coalition will go a long way to kick out politics of failure. If only Nigerians could keep tribalism aside and focus on new and younger people that will be great.

5. Better Decisions

January 24, 2019 at 10:21 am

I respect your decision Ma and wish you -and Nigeria- the best.

6. hahaha

January 24, 2019 at 3:29 pm

bunch of jokers….if these “not too young to run” candidates had formed a coalition long before now… we might have had a chance of voting outside pdp or apc….yet they rode to the end causing distractions up and down….none of these candidates alone ever stood a chance against the big two….

• Tincan

January 24, 2019 at 5:20 pm

It’s a shame that it was left this late but the situation might not be irredeemable. It’s what they should have done all along but if you listen to Fela D’s interview with Wazobia FM (the pidgin English one) on YouTube, he is clear that that’s what he and a few others wanted but that certain individuals were saying ‘me or the high way’ which I find very disturbing. The excuses given by Moghalu and Sowore for not carrying on with PACT makes me suspect that they are the individuals not playing ball. That’s not just a shame but a concern because by some miracle they win, it tells you the kind of leaders they’ll be. Better than APCPDP but not great leaders.