Scoop

Creative Theft or Creative Coincidence? BBNaija’s Tobi Bakre called out on Twitter for “stealing” Ideas | Here’s his Response

BellaNaija.com

Big Brother Naija 2018 housemate Tobi Bakre has had to defend himself on Twitter this afternoon after he was called out by a rising photographer for “stealing” his ideas.

According to the photographer, Ayo Max of Shutter Bouy, he had emailed Tobi Bakre about a possible photo shoot collaboration and in the mail he had shared the concept of the photo shoot. He says that while the mail was never acknowledged as received, he was surprised today to see new photos of Tobi Bakre in a very similar concept to what he had shared in the mail.

He wrote:

@tobibakre you cannot steal my idea and go ahead to use it , I sent you this mail after meeting you in person at the #stylebyzenith event and you said you didn’t have time that I should mail you which I did and you never replied. Not knowing you actually got the mail and used my idea .. it is very wrong and this is bad of you to do bro.

He also shared the content of his mail to Tobi, sent on the 7th of January.

Tobi Bakre has responded to the allegations in a series of tweets.

He says:

He also shared other photos from the new shoot he worked on with the clothing line.

So BellaNaijarians, what do you think – Creative Theft or Creative Coincidence?

1. judith

February 11, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Creative theft

2. Tess

February 11, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Unfortunately Tobi, this has cast some aspersion upon your Integrity. The explanations given sound just like the denials of a smart thief. We may ever know the truth but if i were a creative, I would be very careful with my ideas around you.

3. Seriously

February 11, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I will call it a creative theft, no matter how you want to twist it. Tobi Bakre don’t deny you weren’t aware of this email. You didn’t respond because you had something else in mindz If not, your team managment failed then.
    The truth is, pure creativity has been stagnant for the last ten years, people are simply following trends instead of original creativity. However, this is not a coincidence at all.
    Some of these “celebrities” are so full of it I swear.

• didi

February 11, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Thats not true#seriously may be some how in nigeria. Even a few nigerian photographers are original. Maybe you need to check up the real definition of creativity in your phone.

• Seriously

February 13, 2019 at 2:29 pm

It’s true. Pure creativity is lacking particularly in Art, music and entertainment. And a lot of things are recyled.
      And this is not to say there are not few ones out there who are innovative, and creative but majority are simply following trends and what will make the fastest money. Take youtube for example, majority of them are following what’s popular from makeup, plastic surgery, traveling, pranks and fashion.
      Music has the same content. Girls, sex, drinks and being lit. I can go on and on but nothing truly blows your mind in an extraordinary way anymore.
      Technology and medical advancement is a different topic.

4. Iyaibeji

February 11, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Tobi, on this very issue, you stole someone’s idea. Do the honourable thing and tender an apology rather than this your response.

5. Baybie

February 11, 2019 at 11:09 pm

This is purely creative theft and he was caught in the act. Many others in the entertainment industry do this on a daily basis and you all keep supporting them with your money.

6. Omalicha

February 11, 2019 at 11:22 pm

Na their problem be that.. e no concern me

7. Photoshoot everywhere

February 11, 2019 at 11:40 pm

Please what I want to know is what is the purpose of all these photoshoots?

• Radiant

February 12, 2019 at 11:14 am

My thoughts are that they create awareness for the professionals behind it (usually the credit sections mention their names). So if I like the pictures or a particular concept in it, I seek the professional(s) for business.

• Elle

February 12, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Hahahaha! That was funny.

8. iamOdino

February 12, 2019 at 8:39 am

Lol. Something in me still don’t believe Tobi sha.

9. Kkay

February 12, 2019 at 9:17 am

My observations – this young man “tries too hard”… desperate!
    I can’t stand dishonest people.
    It’s obvious you stole that young photographer’s idea.
    Hide it from man but, you can’t hide it from God no matter where you hide it.
    You will reap what you sow!

• Taj

February 13, 2019 at 5:39 am

I couldn’t have put it better. Tobi comes across as desperate and tries TOO DAMN HARD. Not hating on the hustle but there’s just something about him…His photos shoots make him look like an mgbeke tbh #justsaying

10. Mahka

February 12, 2019 at 11:13 am

The whole idea is really Chessy… Man on a white horse?..; nothing creative or new. Either way Tobi apologize to that young photographer ngwa ngwa

11. Chinonye

February 12, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Coincidence it is… He has proof of pictures from the shoot. The mail didnt even give details.

12. Entrepreneurs_lawyer

February 12, 2019 at 10:38 pm

I choose to believe Tobi on this and I am speaking form experience as an IP lawyer. Ideas are everywhere and yes, 2 or more people can have the same idea or concept at the same time.

• yes maam

February 13, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Yes multiple people can have similar ideas but when you have had access to someone’s work, it is different. You cannot unlearn what you know. Why not hand over your computer and let forensics check if you did see the email or not? 🙂

‘Coincidentally someone else came to me with it, is just amateur.!

13. the foodies hive