Help! I Have Pinched, Pressed, Popped & Scrubbed But Acne Wont Let Me Be

Posted on Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012 at 12:34 PM

By Jennifer Obiuwevbi

I’ve had a protracted battle with acne and it feels like no matter what I do, I can’t get rid of it. I have have peeled, pressed, popped, scrubbed, lotioned, moisturized and ignored it in the hope that I’d wake up one day and find my mirror mirror on the wall telling me that I’m fairest of them all

This is the story of thousands of people living with acne and it can be really frustrating.  However, I think that knowing about acne and how to deal with it is a step in the right direction.

There are two types of acne scars: depressed and raised (suitable names if you ask me). The depressed acne is the type of acne that goes into the skin.  They look like little pits or depressions on the skin and occur mainly when there is a loss of fat or muscle underneath the skin surface.

Raised acne scars on the other hand, are those that appear above the skin surface.
Acne, comes in different variants and  includes papule (pimple), boils, cysts, whiteheads and blackheads. The first hints of acne appear at the puberty. Usually, sebaceous (oil) glands attached to the hair follicles on the face, back and chest are stimulated at the time of puberty because of the elevated levels of hormones. Sebum (oil) is produced (Sebum is a natural substance which lubricates and protects the skin) and with the increase in oil production, there is a change in the manner with which the skin cells mature so they are predisposed to clog the follicular openings or pores (the pore for your hair follicle). These clogged follicles gradually enlarge causing a bump on the skin. As the follicle enlarges, the wall may rupture, allowing irritating substances and normal skin bacteria access into the deeper layers of the skin, ultimately producing inflammation.

Inflammation near the skin’s surface produces a pustule; deeper inflammation results in a papule (pimple); deeper still and it’s a cyst. If the oil breaks though to the surface, the result is a “whitehead.” If the oil accumulates melanin pigment or becomes oxidized, the oil changes from white to black, and the result is a “blackhead.” It is therefore safe to say that Blackheads are therefore not dirt and do not reflect poor hygiene.
There are varied factors that cause acne in its entire ramification. Some of them include; too much exposure to the sun, pressure from collars, chin straps, tights hats, helmets and the like can aggravate acne. Medications may kickstart or worsen acne such as those containing iodides, bromides or steroids. Your occupation could also have a hand in it as you could be exposing yourself to industrial products and fumes. Then, there’s also the use of cosmetics.  I know the ladies might not be happy to read this part but it’s a bitter truth. Some cosmetic products are pore clogging and using too many products for your face may cause more damage than good.

It is important to read the ingredient description on the overleaf to ensure that you are not, as my granny would say it, pouring sand in your garri. Water based products and those definitely containing glycerin are usually safe.
After all this the question you should be asking by now is: how do I get rid of it? The answer? You can’t!

Acne is bound to come up, either in the form of raised pimples or boil. Your body needs to produce oil. But, there is a way out! There are many ways to treat and prevent acne. Here are some non-surgical ways to get your skin L’Oreal worthy. Remember that nothing is cast in stone and bear in mind that results for different skin types. Find what works for you and stick with it!

Natural:

Vinegar — Vinegar acts like a mild chemical peel to remove the top layer of skin, and it promotes a turnover of old skin cells, which are replaced with new cells.

Lemon or lime juice — Applying lemon or lime juice to acne scars will help lighten the color of the scars so they’re less noticeable.

Cosmetic:

Dr. Dennis Gross tells us that we should “look for ingredients with skin lightening and anti-inflammatory benefits, such as retinol, vitamin C, bearberry, mulberry, licorice root extract, and azelaic amino acid.” He also warns you to stay out of the sun: “UV rays in sunlight can cause acne scars to darken and may even slow down the healing process,” this is a major reason why we should wear sunscreen 365 days a year (even though Naija people feel they have extra protection.)
 Glow by dr. brandt (with light transforming skin illuminators): It works to illuminate the skin and smooth out any unwanted textures.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skin Care: Gross’ eponymous line and his new Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution is developed just for the treatment of acne. “Together, ferulic acid and retinol are proven to decrease the hyperactive production of pigment, which will lighten red or dark acne scarring.

Clinique’s even better clinical dark spot corrector: It is a serum that works to improve the clarity and evenness of your skin over time.

The ultimate tool needed to make this a sure banker is PATIENCE. There are no overnight miracles so be diligent to whichever treatment you’ve chosen and you’re acne scares are sure to fade away.

Please share your acne tales and your tried and tested treatments.

Photo credit: redmart.com | mypinktasticlife.com | shopmasc.com | completedisbelief.co.za |123rf.com
Jennifer ‘Penshy’ Obiuwevbi is a writer/copywriter/content developer. She studied Mass Communication at Babcock University; where she co-hosted a radio show. She loves to write, live life, play dress up and is ‘Adele’ at heart. Follow her at @penshy and http://penshee.blogspot.com to find out more.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 57 Comments on “Help! I Have Pinched, Pressed, Popped & Scrubbed But Acne Wont Let Me Be”

Comments
    • Soraya October 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I can also recommend Obagi NU-Derm- it is not cheap but it is a proven product that has been shown to reduce the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation by gradual lightening of the skin- however, it is a prescription product that must be prescribed by a physician or dermatologist!

• obagi saved my face October 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

After being in nigeria and having people give me different creams (bleaching creams that gave me eczea spots, creams that increased my pimples, and creams that made me darker) OBAGI is definitely the way to go. i was a bit weary about the hydroquinone but after 1 year of using tretinoin and hydroquinone, and suffering from tretinoin peeling, my face is just gorgeous. and i stopped hydroquinone now, and just use tretinoin to dab on my pimples, but the pimples are not as dark, and i can deal with that because i’m not about to go on a lifelong journey with hydroquinone. i now use tretinoin for the occasional spots i get and use vitamin c serum from the same obagi line. obagi saved my life. i don’t know if they have it in naija, but it works. it also works for melasma and hyperpigmentation.

• Shoo shoo October 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Birth control pills are an effective method of clearing up the skin…not just to prevent pregnancy. In fact most people use it to regulate their hormones as we tend to have hormonal imbalance, that cause painful periods, acne, etc.

Don’t want the pills? Then how about a change of diet – less diary and processed foods and more water to flush out the toxins (also hydrates the skin). Use non scented hypoallergenic face cream and salicylate based products to wash your face.

With acne comes scars, and that can be tremendously more annoying that the acne itself. But don’t worry, I personally have a very quick fix to this problem recommended by my dermatologist. Buy a skin lightening serum (the liquid ones), and dab with cotton bud on the dark spots after you wash your face before bed time. Remember they are quite strong so you don’t want to use it all over – unless you want to bleach, which isn’t a good idea. In a week or 2 you’ll see the spots have dissappeared to match your tone. Like I said, don’t over do it or do it during the day. Lightening serum and sun are not a pretty combination.

Good luck

• ToBechiStyle October 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Depressed acne occur usually after you have had cystic acne- occurs as a result of collagen and epidermal damage. A healthy regime of washing your face and a weekly ( or as needed) facial steaming works to help open pores.
      You CAN get rid of acne. What you mentioned above are mostly topical treatments.Diets also play an important role in getting rid of acne.Fried foods should be eaten sparingly and foods that one is sensitive to and are known to cause a breakout should be avoided. Vinegar acts more like a skin toner and helps with the pH of the skin when used correctly.And the writer is correct: EVERYONE needs sunscreen.

• csl October 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

cut the crap and get a script for roaccutane

• Malika October 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

a mixture of lime and sugar helps to reduce the blackheads.

• Ginika October 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Brilliant scrub, it works better with brown sugar.

• Chattyzee October 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I recommend doing the following, (if you don’t already do it) – Wash your face at least twice a day, keep it moisturized, change your pillow cases as often as possible, (I use proactive cleaner and neutrogena also) and use facial scrub. Sometimes, leave water to dry on your face. Those things work for me. Good luck!

• CuriousShe October 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

With lemon juice, be sure not to used it daily and to use it topically only. 3 times a week works. Lemon/lime juice is very acidic so I’ll say dilute it if you must use it all over your face. 2parts of lemon juice to 1 part of water.

And the key to fighting acne is to truly keep it simple. In these matters, patience is key.
      When I was fighting acne, I wasn’t ever very patient. I’ll jump from product to product. After a while, I decided to just chill. I stopped wearing foundation for a year. I stopped purchasing those overpriced microdermabrasion packages and I stopped worrying about what everyone thought of my face.
      I got a decent face wash that I started using twice daily, a serum for the hyper pigmentation and a moisturizer. I occasionally use a mask and a toner(Rose water is my favourite toner)
      I recommend Yves Rocher products if you’re in NA. They’re all natural, not as pricey as the Cliniques/Lancomes/Estee Lauders and they work better in my opinion.

Now you really don’t need these many things in your routine. I’m just a product junkie ^_^ lol.

Let’s radiate our beauty ladies!!

• Avon Naija October 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Try Avon’s Clearskin Range for Acne or Avon’s Professional Skincare Set for Acne – the best in the market for Acne. Order yours today from Avon Naija distributors of Avon Products in Nigeria.

• Aij October 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Clinadmycin lotion or cream in the morning and Tretinoic acid at night. Works very well for acne. Use a acne free oil wash in the morning like neutrogena. Use the clindamtcin after washing. Then you can apply a non comedogenic face cream afterwards. At night, use the wash again. Apply Tretinoic acid. Never use Tretinoic acid in the day cos of sun exposure. It could be damaging to your skin if in contact with the sun. The regimen can tend to over dry the skin in some people especially in the winter so if u notice drying, you can skip a day of use and do every other day. IMPORTANT: Tretinoic acid is highly teratogenic (causes birth defects in babies) so it is important to not try to get pregnant while on this. Oral contraceptives or barrier contraceptives is highly recomnended. If you are trying for a baby, stop medication at least one month prior. Hope this has helped

• Zina October 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

So, so True.. but to add, these are Precription Medication For US folks and its also good to Add an antibiotic eg Amoxicillin(systemic and Topical treatment). I struggled with acne for over a year, using etc and etc with no solution. I decided to go see a Dermatologist and they Gave me this COMBO within 2 months everything was gone even the monthly Visitor had no breakout on me. My lil brother has the same problem and these items are not in Nigeria when he checked so i sent them to him. Hopefully it works. Cos weather and Diet has a Major role to Play….

• @ajiriavae October 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The most important thing is to cleans twice daily with a cleanser that is good for your skin type, use a good toner to be doubly clean and exfoliate often. Also, be sure that you wash your bed spread/ pillow case often as the dirt could clog your skin.

• :) October 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Obagi will turn you white, don’t do it. A D.C. dermatologist recommended it, I don’t even remember if it worked, I was too alarmed by the drastic change in my complexion to notice. If you really want it and live in naij, saw it at med-plus, no prescription needed. Bought the sunscreen, because it’s awesome.

Neo-medrol is all I used and my face is happy. No ridiculous morning rituals.

• sealed lips October 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

All the recommendations sef na wao…. Lets be honest different things work for different skin types and people. In my opinion,its best to find what suits your skin. I have heard of tomatoes,baking soda,honye,lime and sugar, even ‘palm oil’ etc funny as it may sound these things work for some people. I used to be product junkie Iv tried way too many products.Sometimes its best to give the skin a break from all these and just do the normal skin routine,drink loads of water,eat fruits , wash your sheets and avoiding oily food. Thats my resolve as i am yet to find what will completely eliminate these scars and stop break outs. Trust me the pricey ones DO NOT WORK. Murad ,CLINQUE, etc

• http://splittingissues.blogspot.co.uk/ October 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My dear, you hit the nail on the head with ‘different things work for different people’. I suffered terribly from adult acne and nothing…nothing worked! Antibiotics o, creams o, natural products o, nothing! The doctor told me my facial skin had become desensitised to acne products so none of them will work.
        He referred me to a Dermatologist who put me on accutane but after reading the side effects, I dumped it and went down on my knees in prayer (no joke!) Then I got rid of all acne products and used just black soap to wash my skin. No cleansing,no toning ; sometimes moisturising with any available body cream when my skin gets too dry.
        It took skin months…my skin is clear. shikena! I still get the occasional spot but that’s it.
        So know your skin, know what works for it and stick to it. And most importantly, pray…never fails and you have nothing to lose anyway!
        Bless.

• sealed lips October 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

LOL @ going down on ur knees . Great to hear that the soap worked for you. These dermatologists and ACCUTANE sef. When my GP ran out of ideas, the dermatologists he recommended tried the accutane trick on me and girl i tell you, that was the last time he and my GP ever saw me……. I cant risk being barren or having problems with my reproductive organs or having deformed kids cos of acne. I might try the soap and see if it will work as it has for you.

• Tokunbo October 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Go and take Doxycycline anitbiotics for 10 days! It absorbs into the bloodstream to fight the bactera! trust me! Ask ur skin Dr. Thank me later

• Sandi October 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

GBAM!!! I swear people skip out on black soap a lot. People we do not need to spend so much money on expensive creams. Your skin is the first sign of anything wrong in your body. How is your diet? Do you eat enough vegetables and fruits? Do you drink plenty of water? Cut out gala, processed foods from your life and you’ll see a difference.
          No matter what you do from the outside, if you do not take care of the inside, the outside will still have the same problems. Yes it will occur continually and you will also continually become immune to the drugs and acne treatments and you’re back to square one.
          So treat yourself better.
          Eat your fruits and vegetables, to detoxify your system, drink lots of water to replenish and hydrate your skin, and use all natural products. I use honey to wash in the morning, honey and black soap at night especially when I wear make-up, and once a week I exfoliate with honey and turmeric (ata ile). Those things do not cost anywhere close to accutane etc.
          To the person that recommended birth control pills, please do note that they’re now listed as a carcinogen (cancer causing) by the World Health Organization.

People better living, better health, better beauty. Ciao

• ije0ma April 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

will definitely try your method which is to pray. thanks

• AnONYMouS October 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I havent read the post neither did i read the comments but i am on an acne treatment that is changing my life….it is called TAZORAC. Omg! Tazorac is a life saver…I dont know if this ointment is available in Nigeria but boy in just 3weeks I have seen amazing results. I no longer wear make up as much as I used to…it doubles as an exfoliant and helps reduce scarring. So far I join the millions of Tazorac users in America to testify that this product works. Sometimes I wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and scream omg! this is magic…lol

• Abena October 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

After suffering from severe acne for 13 years and wasting money on all sorts of products, I will say if you are at the point you can’t take it anymore then your best bet is accutane. Now 2 years after taking accutane for 6 months, I have not had a single pimple on my face.

• AnonYMOUS.. October 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I’ve heard very terrible things about accutane… Reading the severe side effects scares me a lot; I dont think my condition is that bad.

• Baby October 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You must not get pregnant while on accurate and for 1 year after stopping. It can damage your baby severely.

• Abena October 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Well people react to drugs differently and the side effects of accutane are very dangerous to say the least (some have reported of suicidal thoughts while taking accutane). My dermatologist read out all possible side effects to me and I knew what I was getting myself into. I underwent blood tests and other tests to ensure my body could tolerate the drug. I was put on contraception before, during and after accutane course and every month, I had to do blood and urine tests for the entire six months. Thankfully, the only side effects I experienced were dry skin (no complaints here because my face had always been too oily), occaisional joints aches and chapped lips (vaseline was my best friend then). I was also kept at the same dose throughout to minimize the side effects. Accutane is a dangerous drug and should only be used as a last resort when all have failed and going on accutane was one of the best decisions I had ever made. To each their own.

• Alison October 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’ve never had extreme acne but when I do breakout, I always like to use Seacret Mineral Mud soap as well as the Mineral-Rich clarifying mud mask. Mud soap for daily use and Mud mask for spot treatments. I’ve always been on the “oily” side and noticed a HUGE difference after using both products. I love how the product is all-natural and does not contain any alcohol, the last thing I want to do is put some type of chemical on my body which eventually goes inside. A big No-No for me. I agree with everyone to always cleanse twice a day and keep moisturized. :)

• Egusi October 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Try raw african black soap (not packaged and smoothened like normal bar soap try raw rough looking one) or turmeric soap – black soap available locally and online too if you are in Nigeria and turmeric soap online just google both clear are natural and treat eczema and quite affordable too

• Baby October 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Springs Spa, Utako, Abuja has Obagi products.

• Amber October 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Just get what works for you..everybody’s skin is different.and all u people using anything with retinion,make sure u check with ur doctor if u intend to get pregnant and also don’t look at just the effects of the product u get now but also the long term side effects that u won’t be told when buying the products.Skin cancer is the worst.Dont get more than u bargained for

• Tokunbo October 4, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I remember one of my friends back then used to was her face with her urine LOL! Because of pimple coz she had really huge bad ones! I recommened she starts taking Doxycycline.. for 10 days….which is an antibiotics that fights pretty much all bacteria especially Staphylococcus bacteria. Which is usually found on the skin surface area and absord into the epidermis through skin hair! Her face cleared up day 2 of the medication! Vam!

And also Doxy is good for STDs like Chlymidia and Gonorrhea. It is my power atibiotics! it’s expensive here in the U.S and u need prescription. So when i go to naija, i go to a reputable pharmacist and buy packs…N1500 a box! Cheaper!

• Triangle October 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

@Tokunbo I’ll definitely try out the antibiotic. Let’s see how that goes.
      @Topic. I used to have the smoothest face, d envy of all. I mean after d whole teenage stage passed I was ok. My face being very oily usually had jst these tiny white secretions after a while, I took care of that with ‘nu image’ facial cleanser. In recent times the onset of Acne has been something else. I have tried all products, you name it. Black soap, clearasil facial cleansing soap, clean & clear, funbact-A, Benzoyl peroxide, Sudocream, baking soda, jst to mention a few. All these at different times though. My face remained d same and got even worse.
      Guess what peeps! The cure was easy and cheap all the while. Who has heard of aspirin mask. I saw it on an online forum. I got Aspirin for 50naira, its quite a lot. I ground some tablets (like 5) mixed wit a teaspoon of water and applied to my face, left on for 15mins and washed it off.
      Its been 2days and my face is like magic. All the Acne has dried up, no new ones are coming up. I have never been happier.
      Warning though, it should be applied jst once a week, cos it contains salicylic acid they said.
      And to think I had an easy solution all the while :)

• dory October 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

@tokunbo, for real then i will try it today

• Emily.G October 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The key to combating severe acne is to keep it simple; pick a good skin care product and have a skin care regimen. Clean your face in the morning and at night with a gentle cleanser and warm water (not hot). If a basic facial cleanser doesn’t do the trick, try a product that includes an acid such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or beta-hydroxy acid. Acids help cut oiliness. After all that cleansing don’t forget to replenish the skin with a good oil free moisturizer. Newly opened MK Megastore in ikeja stock variety of skin care product from the United States. And always remember…Beautiful skin starts with healthy skin. So take care of your body by drinking plenty of water and eating healthy foods.

• anonymous acne October 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The problem now is which do i use, una don mention plenty things. I havent used aything on my face for 2 years but im just tired of this acne joooh. I want my smooth face back,

• Emily.G October 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Try Mary Kay Acne-Fighters Set Includes: Velocity Facial Cleanser, Velocity Lightweight Moisturizer, and Acne Treatment Gel and Blemish Control Toner 3. Mary Kay Acne-Fighters can help you reclaim clearer, healthier-looking skin. All four products have been clinically tested for skin irritancy and allergy; they are non-comedogenic and dermatologist-tested. Then you could also add their Clarifying Mask 3 (is for blemish prone skin) as part of your skin regimen. Good luck!!!

• myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com October 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I get nervous whenever I read articles that are not by Skin Therapists or Dermatologist, then again real life and trial experiences also help. This article was great HOWEVER!! LADIES you need to first of all KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE.
      - If you are PRONE to CYSTIC, BIG FAT BOIL TYPE acne, especially since PUBERTY then you are ACNEIC, this means you need a special skincare regime for yourself, for example THROW AWAY those heavy scrubs, (st. ives, etc) scrubs on cyst, tears the skin and spreads the bacteria around, causing MORE acne. the rule for acneic skin is “Be gentle and use effective products”. however if you have oily skin (which most black women do), and get the OCCASIONAL pimple (around your period time, high levels of stress, change of diet, etc) then you are not and need to address the pimples with topicals like Sulfur, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid (if you are NOT allergic).

Ladies please do NOT go and GRAB strong prescription medication for occasional acne, ACCUTANE IS EVIL! PLEASE READ THE REPORTS!! Tazorac, Retin A, Tretinoin CANNOT be used if you are pregnant or trying to get Pregnant. Hydroquinone is dangerous as well and unneccesary since there are healthier options for lightening dark spots caused by acne.
      As skin therapists, we do our best to give proper information on products to use for various skin conditions on our blog (myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com).

please, KNOW and RESPECT THY SKIN
      whatever you do, don’t SLAB ON strong “medicated” cream on your face because your friend did it and it worked, We all have different skin types and conditions. you will only be setting your self up for more wahala

• Sandi October 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

May God severely bless you. Nothing else to be said.

• hermosa October 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

NEO-MEDROL. thas all you need. I discovered it during this summer holidays in Nigeria. the rest are a waste of your money. its N1.300 in the pharmacies. and i should know, i tried every possible acne skin treatment that you’ve heard of Retina A, Tretinoin, Clinique 3 steps etc… none worked!! NEO Medrol!! try it!!

• MsSexy October 8, 2012 at 7:25 AM

For acne, i’ll do Makari acne soap and cream, toner and cleansing lotion, all these prescriptions r not good, one has to be careful and for some people it’s just their diet that’s messing them up, I can’t imagine having fried egg, fried yam and a 5litre jug of coke for lunch and you want a smooth skin, impossible.

And also Makari has this oralight tabs for acne and terrible blackheads, the good thing about this is that it’s 100% herbal and it works wonders, just be patient and wt all these products, u’ll smile. MyhairmybeautyNig u have said it all and I wl not add more, ladies beware of cheap products, if you can buy Lb shoes, Lv bags, there’s no reason not to buy original skin care products for ur skin, it’s one life they say anyway.
      For me #team Makari forever, u need to see my skin, am glowing and am free from acne or any skin problems!

• Shelly_Ann October 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Wow…I really like the focus Bella is putting on acne these days. It certainly does seem to be an increasing problem in Nigeria. I found this article on Bella a few weeks ago to be very intresting too…

p.s I heard Makari can be really bad for some people – causing acne when they didnt even have before

• Mssexy October 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM

i think d problem is people buying what is not meant for their skin, v had friends with oily skin picking products for dry skin and what do you expect? total break out or skin anger…..lol
        so what I do is I look out for their specialty store, ask for a beautician on duty and they tell me what to buy, not all products on shelves is for all skin

• Lily October 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

An easy and effective way to get rid of pimples/acne is mix yoghurt and oats make sure it is not too watery, wash your face first dry it and apply the mixture on your face, leave it on the face until its dry after that rinse off and wash your face with warm water, dry and oil your face apply baby powder after 5 minutes. Do this twice a day for a whole week and you will see improvements. And this also works for people with or without acne, it makes the face soft and smooth.
      P.S. The fermented mixture is most effective.

• Seun October 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Wow all this info. Super confusing. My own issue is that I have black spots on my cheek like so many and it’s so annoying and affecting my confidence. I get tired of being asked what’s up with my face when I don’t apply make up and I just want the spots gone. Someone said it may be cystic acne. I don’t really know. In really at a desperate point. I know I need patience by sticking to a regime but it does get frustrating. I’ve read this piece like 4 times and walke into medplus to get panadol and I saw Obagi staring at me. I only got the blender one which is to lighten the spots although the pharmacist was asking me o get tretonoin as well but I was like dude this thing isn’t cheap now after getting the blender for N19,800 I should now get the other for about 17k… Whew. These facial issues sha because I always had radiant clear skin and started this off and on battle for about two years now. After reading different views on Obagi, accuatane and etc here I’m just like WOW!! So I’m just gonna try this Obagi thing and see if it lightens these spots as that’s my main issue. Will go see a dermatologist too though as mine may be hormonal or dietary just because. Sigh. Thanks BN for such posts as reading the experiences of others via comments really helps. The acne or spots battle is really a trial and error one until you find what suits your skin. I definitely don’t want to bleach or have products mess up my skin. Guys please feel free to help a sister out here. You can tell I’m super worried about it. Thanks

• AnoNYmous October 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Like someone said and I agree, all these heavy scrubs are not really good for the skin. I havent found a cure to my spots too (I even have Bacne too..^_^. I started using Cetaphil cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. These products are super light. I am also in the process of changing my whole make-up (powder, concealer, foundation) from MAC to Bare Minerals…as Bare Minerals are non-comedogenic (not sure I got that spelling right).

• sassycassie October 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

NATURAL black soap works like magic!!

• :) October 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

True @ praying. I prayed and neomedrol was going to be my last stop and God answered as the train pulled up. So I prayed and used neomedrol. Lol. Coming from someone that has used EVERYTHING!!! It’s then that aunties and even my mum that had used it remembered that it helped clear their faces at on point in their lives and none of them remembered this when I was suffering. I had to stumble on it thanks to prayer!

• zheloyi October 14, 2012 at 7:35 AM

What I’ve discovered from painful experience is that those overpriced products DON’T work!!!
      My Clinique Benzoyl Peroxide lotion cost about 6k and my face only became darker after 3weeeks of dedicated use.
      My Pharmacist advised I changed to a cheaper N600 one and I saw results barely a week after.
      I also got a this Skin Success ACNE MEDICATION CLEANSER that has been doing wonders.
      These two don’t even cost up to 2k and those huge annoying pimples that used to pop in the middle of my face are history.
      Even the black spots are fading now. There’s nothing more satisfying than getting your money’s worth.
      And ofcourse I’ve changed my diet and my bottle of water is always in my bag.

• enitan October 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

now im very confused. i need to get rid of my black spots (and breakouts) and there are too many conflicting suggestions *sigh*

• Isabella October 28, 2012 at 7:26 AM

It depends on the type of acne you have, if it is hormonal and by that I mean you breakout during ur monthly visits or when ur stressed, if you don’t know I will advice pay attention the next time these two happens and see or if you just have few breakouts that won’t go away try using vecuten for your breakouts. I tried it when I came to nigeria and was breaking out real bad and none of these cleaners worked, its 450naira or less and it works it was recommended by a doctor. For the dark spots, try Elizabeth Arden alcohol free toner, it works like magic but in nigeria its one the high price end 5200 but the bottle will last u for months and it works effectively but it’s hard to get. Try big supermarkets like nextime or everyday or likes of those. It’s not only for the face anyways and it’s a win win products.hope these help am very sure they will. I breakout badly even in America here during my monthly visits and when am stressed and nothing worked even Clinique, I have tried a lot of products and these two work for me finally.

• Isabella October 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM

By the way the vecuten is a small white tube……

• amarachi October 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

i m so confused i dt no d one to go 4

• Ethel October 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

See a dermatologist for a proper and effective treatment. Instead of trying one treatment after the other.

• bolanle November 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM

blackspot iϨ my problem.

• anne December 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM

omg afta readin all dis i must confess i dont knw wat to do anymore cos i ve tried all n yet is lik nuffin is workin lik sumone said ve left evryfin to God to heal me cos i dont knw wat to do,wil kip takin akot of water n fruit to see wat happens cos it so shameful evrybodi askin u wasup wif ur face.#sad#

• blessing December 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Guyz am more dn confused,i ave black spots and sunborn on my face and am so sick of it, pls i need advice @mssexy pls does makari av any tin 4 me

• Rachel May 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

use avon wonders,it works wonders

• Speechless in River Niger July 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The most valuable piece of information in fighting acne was given to me by my mother, I have the worst kind of pimples at really embarrassing times in very obvious places like right in the middle of my forehead.

Guess the solution:
      Never, ever ever, touch your pimples, just leave them if possible wear makeup when u really need to at other times make sure your face is as clean as possible and use only natural products such as shea butter or olive oil etc as moisturizers if necessary.

Most people are always marveling at how nice my the skin on my face is, because if followed her simple rule.
      I’ve tried it and it works, you could give it a try too. Best of luck!!