BellaNaija Style presents the Body Shape Series Vol. 5: Hourglass

The BN Body Shape Series with Eki Ogunbor is back with the final shape today. The last four posts in this series have been on the Apple shape (click here if you missed it), the Pear shape (click here if you missed it) and the Carrot shape (click here if you missed it) and the String Bean shape (click here if you missed it).BN body shape fruits

The body shape we’ll be talking about today is the Hourglass shape, it’s also referred to as peanut or bombshell. This shape can wear almost anything with their beautifully proportioned figure, just remember to be tasteful with your choices and avoid creating a wide mid section so you don’t look bigger than you are.

Award winning on-air personality, Tolu Oniru aka Toolz is our favourite hourglass bombshell!

Toolz for Ndani TV's The Juice - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 025

Characteristics of the Hourglass Shape

• Your bust and hips are well balanced and aligned
  • You have a defined waist and in most cases, a well rounded bottom

Hourglass body shape bella naija march 2016Tips for Your Top

• Wear tops with a defined waist or define your waist more with a slim waist belt.
  • You can also wear tailored and well fitting shirts just avoid it being too tight.
  • Low cut necklines like a V-neck or strapless top helps show of your neck, which is a slim part of your body.
  • Wrap tops and dresses help accentuate your waist and hourglass figure.
  • Don’t be afraid to try prints.

Tips for Your Bottom

• Body con styles are great for this shape.
  • Pencil skirts help to flaunt your hips, but really you can wear flared and A-line if you wanted to.
  •  Wear straight cut jeans/trousers for a structured look. However, bell-bottoms and flared jeans also work.
  • You have slim legs so feel free to show them off tastefully.

• Big ruffles or bows in your fuller areas, it could add unwanted bulk to your shape.
  • Wearing bulky clothes or layers around your slim areas could make you look bigger than you are.
  • If you have a fuller bust, avoid necklines that cover up your neck like a turtle neck top/dress.
  • Skirts that are too short, or they will make you look heavier than you are.

Toolz is a great example of an hourglass girl and she doesn’t shy away from flaunting her curves in body con dresses.

Toolz for Ndani TV's The Juice - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 026

This oleku style is great because the knot helps accentuate her slim waist.Toolz-Promo-Photos-October-2015-BellaNaija0013

The wrap style of this dress is perfect to flaunt her slim waist

Toolz for Ndani TV's The Juice - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 022

A peplum dress/top always works as well for a lot of other shapes and the hourglass as well.

I also really like the dress she wore here at her engagement party.

British/Ghanaian actress and TV presenter, Peace Hyde is another lady with an bomb hourglass figure.

peace hyde bella naija march 2016 a

A body con/pencil dress is always a good idea and I think this length works perfect for her.

peace hyde Shuga-Season-4-Premiere-September-2015-BellaNaija0031

This is a great red carpet look for her, it’s simple yet her body does so much for the dress.

peace hyde bella naija march 2016 2

I really like this asymmetric skirt, she rocks it well with her shape.Peace Hyde

She looks great in this iro and buba.

Reality TV star entrepreneur and queen of body con dresses, Kim Kardashian is popularly known for her hourglass figure and hardly anything looks bad on her.

MIAMI, FL - FEBRUARY 02: Kim Kardashian arrives at Zuma Japanese Restaurant at the EPIC Hotel on February 2, 2012 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Alexander Tamargo/Getty Images)

She’s also not afraid to play with shorter hemlines to flaunt her slim legs.

bella naija march 2016 PAY-Kim-Kardashian

This look is all about balance. She has more volume on the bottom with the wide leg trousers and defines her waist with a long sleeve crop top. One thing for an hourglass girl to avoid is wearing a big top with trousers like this, it will hide your curves and could make you look bigger.

Check out Kim in this red ball gown, just goes to show you that with an hour glass shape, you can still play around with volume in the right way.

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA - MARCH 02:  Kim Kardashian attends the 22nd Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards viewing party with Chopard at the City of West Hollywood Park on March 2, 2014 in West Hollywood, California.  (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for EJAF)

Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson is an example of the slimmer hourglass shape.

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - JANUARY 16: Actress Scarlett Johansson arrives to the 62nd Annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel January 16, 2005 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

She looks stunning in form fitting dresses for both red carpet looks.

HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 22: Actress Scarlett Johansson attends the 87th Annual Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland Center on February 22, 2015 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

This structured jacket doesn’t do very well to enhance her hourglass figure, it hides it.

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - JANUARY 16: Actress Scarlett Johansson arrives at the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at The Beverly Hilton hotel on January 16, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

Although I like this dress, I think the sleeves may have been too heavy and it takes your attention away from her figure/slim waist and make her shoulders more pronounced. What do you think?

Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson also has an hourglass figure and isn’t afraid to flaunt it with body con dresses.Mercy Johnson - December 2013 - BellaNaija 03mercy-johnson

Photo Credits: Instagram | @kimkardashian@toolz_o, WOW Magazine,,, Alexander Tamargo/Getty Images, Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images, Cindy Ord/Getty Images, Jason Merritt/Getty Images, Barry King/Getty Images, Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images, Kevin Winter/Getty Images /Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for EJAF

46 Comments on BellaNaija Style presents the Body Shape Series Vol. 5: Hourglass
  • nene March 29, 2016 at 5:08 pm

you tried this time. very accurate list

• Majestic March 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Lovely…but I don’t think it’s every time one wants to wear figure-hugging clothes…so there’s nothing wrong with Scarlett’s outfit(with the trousers)..

• mz titilitious March 29, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Abi o in short, flared skirt and a nice top it, looks nice too

• Big Tee March 29, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I like this one….thank you, you’re welcome……but first….move all I wanna see is the yansh.

• Kiks March 29, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Please why is she calling what Peace Hyde is wearing iro and buba..

• Sabifok March 29, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Dang, Can I just say that Scarlett Johanssen is the hottest woman of ALL time.

• Squad March 29, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Fammm…she doesnt even have to try.

• “changing moniker “ March 29, 2016 at 7:02 pm

She doesn’t need to try at all… Plus that gown with the big sleeves is fine o… Shows her curves wella… Not everytime bodycon

• Jet March 29, 2016 at 7:51 pm

1000 likes for this. Scarlett keeps serving, she is my definition of hot and sexy.

• californiabawlar March 29, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Hmmmnnn…I’m supposed to be hourglass…but I aint got no ass….Maybe I am what @Tosin referred to as ‘gizzard shape’ lols.
    My shape started popping quite early, so as far back as my early teens people would always get surprised when they saw my back view….I started feeling weird. It’s not as if my yansh is flat o, it'[s just not as exaggerated as my other curvy parts.
    Thanks to my supportive friends and family though, they have over the years told me God knows what He was doing, that every thing would have been too much and all over the place if I had a ginormous ass to go with my shape….if not for una…I would have been out here working these streets seeking approval from every Gbenga, Uche and Hassan. God bless you all! **sniff**sniff**

• kilipot March 29, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Eku ipolo wo o. CaliforniaBawler. I see u lol.

• californiabawlar March 29, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Ese sa, Olohun a je ki aje wogba….
        Shoot…I forgot to drop my info! Missed the number 1 rule of marketing and advertisement. Abeg interested parties hit me up on
        Motto: our past might be uninteresting…but the future is hella bright…

oniranu ajeyin awo.

• True Sorrella March 29, 2016 at 5:45 pm

This is pretty cool, Toolz is just stunning!

• Egusi Soup March 29, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Hour glass ko, waist trainer ni.

• Ewa March 29, 2016 at 6:38 pm

• Californiabawlar March 29, 2016 at 6:58 pm

What do you have against waist trainers? No disrespect to my less curvaceous sisters but if some people hire Jillian Michaels plus Hulk Hogan for the training, you will not even smell these shapes up here, much less achieve it. Just let people be biko…

• Halima March 29, 2016 at 7:34 pm

@Egusi soup lolzzzz. Calm down o, it’s not everyone that has an hour glass figure that wear waist trainers. Some women have that figure naturally.

• Halima March 29, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Yay! Team hour glass!!! I guess this body shape is the reason for waist trainers. Can’t try that stuff please it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

• mz titilitious March 29, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I’m hour glass gat my butty but nt as big as tools or Hyde.. duh…

• bn March 29, 2016 at 7:26 pm

who asked you!!!

• ATL’s finest March 29, 2016 at 7:56 pm

@,BN nobody. It’s called freedom of speech.

• Omaa March 30, 2016 at 10:19 am

Ah ah, you claimed pear shape all the way under that post, then right now you are claiming hour glass. Anyway, I don’t blame you. It can be confusing at times but then, there’s a calculator for this shape stuff.

• Drknite March 29, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I will take an hour glass shaped girl any day.

• Dee March 29, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Really nice write up… But I don’t see anything wrong with scarlett johansson’s jacket and blush dress looks.

• bn March 29, 2016 at 7:25 pm

thats not kim kardashian real shape oh!! nah surgery!!!

• Niyoola March 29, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I’m wondering if you chose today’s Naija celebs for hits/comments?

While it may seem like the proportions are right, it’s what your body looks like without body/shape-alteriing undergarments that matters. Big boobs+hips does not equal hour glass.

Mercy used to be hour glass, before she started having kids

Scarlet J is the MVP hourglass< what?!?!?!!?!? She's bangin'without even trying.

i'm still wondering at Michelle Obama's classification …….. "she hides the bulk with her a-line, skater and pleated dresses

• Hm March 29, 2016 at 7:30 pm

instead the oyibo – you coulda included the likes of Daniella Chioma Okeke

• Anon today March 29, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Tried liking your comment many times but they wouldn’t let me. I concur.

• King Bey March 29, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Scarlet’s body is a win for me..I love Mercy,s body too but others are looking like bag of fufu and without the power of body magic there tummy/waist will spread everywhere…

• onika March 29, 2016 at 7:46 pm

team hour glass……i stalk toolz and kim for styles for africa…….and the clothes have been making. this days are bodycon,but i feel shy in them….lol

• Carina March 29, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Hourglass or not, Toolz, Peace needs to hit the gym! Wait when they become pregnant and give birth. Their body size including their breast will be massive. Truth is bitter! I am not Lepa shandy… I am chubby. Still battling with my weight. When I see some fat chicks, I get hope but when I see average size chicks, I cringe!

• Anon March 29, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Toolz = an illusion of hour glass.

Mercy Johnson = real hour glass.

• vanessa March 29, 2016 at 8:35 pm

very true! look at her pic with captain demure or whatever his name is…and her pics alone! LMAO

• DeeLamz March 29, 2016 at 9:12 pm

#TeamHourGlass woop woop!

• stephanie March 29, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Fat does not equal hour glass biko. i’m sorry I can;t trust these things and you ppl again. They are selling hourglass in the shop, one size fits all. Of course if u squeeze a blob from the middle itll find a shape..

• tum tum March 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Mercy isnt hourglass. She is more top heavy and has never really had hips…no?
    Toolz….Sigh…I hate the fact that she doesn’t wear better shoes. She needs to be wearing a 4 -4 1/2 inch heels to make her legs look leaner.. Her legs just look odd all the time…like they are too fat to fit or something. She is a waist training, photo shopping pro!! So until I see her in person I will always think she is just a fat girl, trying to be slim..sorry
    Peace Hyde…now SHE is hour glass!!

• Fela March 30, 2016 at 12:47 am

Peace Hyde is not peaceful at all, she is too sexy!!!!!

• Bey March 30, 2016 at 1:04 am

But Toolz and Peace Hyde are they related. Peace is like Toolz hotter little sister no?

• mabel March 30, 2016 at 2:11 am

Champagne glass nko? Anyway sha, I claim the hour glass shape too. Breasts and hips aligned. Even if your breasts like let it be 44dd, we are all hour glass.

• Papermoon March 30, 2016 at 8:32 am

Toolz is not hour glass. She is pear. Her hip and bum are far bigger than her bust. She has a figure Like Oprah Winfrey. The bum and hips are wider than any other part of the body.

• aishat March 30, 2016 at 9:59 am

this could have been me but semo and ogbono wee not agree!

• Woody March 30, 2016 at 11:05 am

BN you said an hourglass means ‘Your bust and hips are well balanced and aligned.
    You have a defined waist and in most cases, a well rounded bottom.’ But Peace and Kim are the only ones who fit that. Tools is Pear shaped and Scarlett is more string bean. Just my thoughts.

• Iphee March 30, 2016 at 12:16 pm

It’s all fun and games for the pear/ hour glass girl ( esp those on the bigger side) when they are younger. Lugging all this weight all day every day in your 60’s and 70’s … It takes it toll
    Scarlet is the perfect kind of hour glass to be !!!!

• Tosin March 31, 2016 at 11:18 am

TGIO – thank God it’s over.

Every body is beautiful. Every nigga is a star.
    and I don’t care what your figure is, me I’m figure awesome.

See, we’re blabbing about women being free, but how? after you’ve finished all your ‘credit’ on irrelevancies, when will you be great?

• Tosin April 4, 2016 at 2:23 pm

oh, and some of the examples here are what you call exaggerations or caricatures. even look at your picture of a groundnut up there, now compare with the people you chose…