News

Is It “Funny” for Women to Have a Cat Fight? Watch & Let’s Talk About It

Real Housewives of Atlanta - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 (2)

Real Housewives of Atlanta - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)

Reality TV has never looked so messy.

The hosts of ABC‘s The View including Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg, recently discussed the show everyone is buzzing about – be you in Lagos, Nigeria, or Atlanta, Georgia.

It’s the Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunion taping with the cast – NeNe Leakes, Kenya Moore, Phaedra Parks, Kandi Burruss, Cynthia Bailey and Porsha Stewart.

Kenya and Porsha who don’t see eye to eye, caused an internet and TV storm. Porsha dragged Kenya by her hair to the ground.

On The View, Barbara asks a very important question, why is it considered “funny” when women have a cat fight?

You have probably seen a cat fight while strolling on the streets with your friends and hearing people saying “leave them, let them fight”.

Watch and let’s talk about it?

Kenya Moore’s Statement
During the taping of the Reunion Episode for the Real Housewives of Atlanta, I was violently attacked by Porsha Williams. The episode, which aired tonight, Sunday, April 20, 2014, was taped in front of an audience of over 50 people, which included cast, crew, guests and executives, who served as witnesses. I called 911 to report the incident. The Atlanta police conducted an independent investigation, which included viewing the raw footage of the incident. As a result, Porsha Williams was charged with battery. The authorities will decide her fate, not me.

There are many inflammatory statements made by cast members to and about each other particularly during the reunion tapings. Many have made untrue, denigrating, disparaging, and inflammatory statements against me in an attempt to provoke me, but I have never reacted in a violent way. My intellect and my brain are my most powerful weapons—not my fists. If people get so angry that they lose control and admittedly “black out” and resort to violence, those persons must be held responsible for their actions. Being a cast member on a reality show does not absolve people of their rights.

After being repeatedly attacked by an abusive boyfriend at the age of 17, if someone puts their hands on me, I will not just let it go. With that said, I sought self-defense training developed for the Israeli military. I’ve also been trained in weapons. I can take someone down in three moves. It took discipline for me not to respond in kind. As violent responses escalate, they can quickly result in severe injury or even death.

Being the second Black woman to be crowned Miss USA, there are little girls who look up to me. I would never want those girls, my nieces, or my future children to see me fighting anyone. That’s the lesson we should all want to send, especially to young people—that no matter how angry someone makes you feel by what they say to or about you, violence is never an option. #stoptheviolence

1. Sexxie

April 23, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Wow! Kenya? I’m impressed. A new level of respect for her from this day on. Absolute NO to violence. Nothing beats self discipline.

• Leye

April 24, 2014 at 3:15 am

Girl, Ms Kenya shut up and have several seats. Pulling this “guilt” card of having an abusive boyfriend and having black girls look up to you is balderdash

2. looters

April 23, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I watched this re-union which is the part 1. I don’t support violence in any way. Porsha shouldn’t have gone there even if it was just pulling her hair not actually hitting her. However, I blame bravo tv for even allowing those props. I think the one that irked me was the sceptre. That shit is sharp and dangerous, i dont know how bravo tv would have allowed that in the midst of a group of women verbally attacking each other. That megaphone she used was mad annoying. Porsha I’m sorry but you should have told Andy to ask Kenya to get rid of those things.

3. ss

April 23, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Kenya don nab Porsha for this one o,we should always have control over our anger no matter what…anger makes this worse

4. D.W

April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Used to be Porsha’s biggest fan…unfollowed her seconds after that disgusting hoodrat behaviour.

• naijababe__

April 23, 2014 at 8:25 pm

i guess youre not a true fan then….put yourself in her shoe what would have been your reaction

• Ayo

April 23, 2014 at 9:41 pm

That does not mean you should attack the person, no matter what. Does is mean a man is justified when he beats his wife because he was provoked. Please lets preach non violence. Porsha needs to grow up

5. Teejay

April 23, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Kenya! Girl, sat your ass down. You don’t go about pointing scepters in people’s faces, provoking them and not expect to get beat! Shows like this bring out ratchet behavior in me that I never knew existed.
    This is what I’m trying to say to Kenya though. You are not a saint in this story. So here, have your seat(s). _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    I am not defending Porsha by the way, it just sickens me that Kenya remembered she has little girls looking up to her AFTER the whole incident. Bellend.

6. SOLO ACT

April 23, 2014 at 8:05 pm

the thing is people say Porsha was provoked, which i think is total bull crap! the only time you should use your fists is when someone is already beating you, self defense. physically assaulting someone is a CRIME punishable by jail time. You should never let someone push u into going to prison. Porsha was also insulting kenya, but i think she ran out of insults thats why she decided to pull kenyas hair. Porsha could have continued to wash her with insults or walked off the set when kenya started using the mega phone. But Porsha is not smart, she cant think fast and she is probably going to loose her job ergo Kenya getting the LAST LAUGH!

7. AVID BLOG READER

April 23, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I love this franchise and watched this episode. While i do not condone violence, Kenya git exactly what she had coming. She provoked the poor girl all season long. Ki lo de????? Everyone has a limit! And to Porsha’s defense she was quite contrite right after the brawl.

8. Esther

April 23, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Although I don’t enjoy violence as they are grown women over 30 and 40, but Kenya feel like she can ride over all this woman anyhow without them retaliating back, even though Porsha might be dumb or stupid at least Kenya should not have be pointing all those props at her it’s unacceptable, the last reunion was still alright that she brought a fan, but accusing a woman of cheating on her husband without knowing that’s bad at least she was married but erm Kenya you don’t have a man though , continue making up boyfriend’s God is watching you in 5D as Phaedra said “Casper The friendly Boyfriend”.

• Marie Antoinette

April 23, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Kai Esther! Please make an effort to write better next time.

• Miss USA

April 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm

She has a boyfriend Esther so the silly Casper the friendly boyfriend is not remotely funny. I am Team Kenya all the way. I HATE when people refuse to acknowledge other people’s idiosyncrasies and ACCEPT them! Who is perfect?!?! Nene, Phaedra, Porsha? Who? And they’ve all just ganged up against Kenya as if she’s evil. She is playful, she can be annoying but I’m asking again WHO is perfect? Phaedra continually calls her a slut not checking the little boy she married. Nene says she doesn’t like her personally, this is someone that was her friend before but she suddenly dropped for reasons best known to her (Marlo may be one of those reasons) and did you see how she finished Cynthia on Andy’s interview? Cynthia that was her friend before and did you see how she basically looked down on Kandi’s production? Let me stop abeg. I hate the bullying I see on that show and the stupid cliques. Everyone’s afraid to talk to Nene but they can pull Kenya down.

I sympathise with Porsha though. If I were her, I’ll have a proper discussion with Kenya and try to sort things out and not ride on the wings of Phaedra and Kenya who she knows detest Kenya.

Imagine Phaedra saying Kenya has scrambled eggs that’s why she can’t have a child. Nonsense talk.

Anyway to answer the question, it’s not funny.

9. nonye

April 23, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Kenya is a rabble-rouser. she’s makes it difficult to totally justify her behaviour. Porsha should have kept it in check but Kenya accusing her of cheating on Kordell (and some comment about it affecting her divorce settlement) was a little below the belt for someone who came off such a humiliating and public divorce

10. Fakehousewives

April 23, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Well,this is expected from the ‘fake housewives’.The real housewives ain’t get no time for all these but putting their homes in order…Next please

11. Ayo

April 23, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Porsha is the same woman suggesting that her ex is gay, yet the moment Kenya mentions it she gets angry. I think Porsha was drunk that night. Her behavior is unacceptable.

12. Anonymous

April 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I think 90% of the blame should go to Bravo TV for allowing things to escalate the way that they did. The minute Kenya brought out the scepter and then the bullhorn the producers should have known that there would be trouble and stopped taping and ended that mess. The ratings for the show have gone through the roof because of this, which is a boon for the network but a mighty disgrace that feeds into the stereotype of (black) women fighting. Kenya and Porsha share the remaining 10%. I blame Porsha for not ignoring Kenya (she is, quite frankly, best ignored). A wise saying goes: “never wrestle a pig, you will both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it”. And that is what Kenya did. She had a wonderful time pushing those buttons knowing that she was going to get something started. She should be ashamed of herself, if you ask me, for thinking it was okay to provoke another female and then turn around and say she is a role model for little girls. Not on this planet. No role model hits below the belt the way she does. Talking about other people’s husbands and personal issues. The folks at Bravo TV take most of the blame. My $0.02 for what its worth.

13. ilaughedwell!

April 23, 2014 at 9:48 pm

kenya said ‘i’d like porsha to spell septre!’ LMAO. that line had me laughing for days. porscha is a learner jare. kenya got her right where she wanted her….off the show. but trully i blame cordell…porsha looked liked she truly blacked out, probably post traumatic stress disorder from being cordell’s….

April 24, 2014 at 1:13 am

You obviously can’t spell it too. LMAO

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I don die… @Cancel Reply, you meanie …. 🙂

14. mimi

April 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Both Kenya and Porsha were at each others throat from the beginning of the reunion . she couldnt handle all the hit and went into ratchet mode . Cos she got a new set of boobs now shes feeling like one baddo .
    Dumb girl , her ass is fired , or she didnt read the addendum that she signed . or she didnt understand .
    Ironically her career has gone” flatline” –

• Leye

April 24, 2014 at 3:21 am

You DID that! lol flatline

15. Bucky

April 23, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Did anyone actually watch and listen to what was said at the reunion?! Porsha was the one going for Kenya. She wouldn’t let her speak, she kept talking over her . Porsha is so childish and stupid. And she’s stupid because the people that pushed her to do this ie fakedra will not be prosecuted for what she did. I saw fakedras face while poshca pulled Kenya down and she looked like ” you go girl” and she’s suppose to be the most educated one. I do not feel sorry for her she needs a lot of growing up to do. Kenya can be very annoying cos she’s sooo outspoken doesn’t mean u should attack her that’s just wrong on all levels. So what if Kenya doesn’t have her African prince they should all just get over themselves. As for that nene God is watching her in 10D

• Leye

April 24, 2014 at 3:21 am

Did you hear them argue over Dbanj?

16. Speaking

April 23, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Once again, little miss Kenya is playing the victim. GIRL BYE! Kenya is a BULLY, that in itself is abuse.. you dont go around pointing stuff at people and using megaphones in peoples faces. Kenya definitely had this coming to her. I’m not one for the violence but there’s only so much you can take when you’re constantly being disrespected and talked to like a child. Porsha was sick of it and she had a natural reaction. Kenya’s lucky she didn’t get a black eye. In my opinion, Bravo needs to fire both of them. I like Porsha, but her getting physical would serve as a lesson to others. Kenya needs to go cos she’s simply a liar, hypocrite and a BULLY. PS: maybe your ¨african prince¨ is somewhere in the comment section of lindaikeji’s blog. oniro oshi.

17. Fabulicious

April 23, 2014 at 11:42 pm

It’s unfortunate that Porsha was the one who had to exhibit such trashy behavior but Kenya honey,you deserved it big time…BLOOP*nene’s voice*

18. Lolo

April 23, 2014 at 11:52 pm

well said @Esther. In my opinion, kenya was invading Porsha’s personal space,taunting and provoking her with those props. i actually felt like snatching the scepter from kenya b4 porsha did. .
    Reunions are tense with a lot of heated arguments. The props were provoking and shouldn’t have been allowed in the first place.

19. fashion

April 24, 2014 at 12:41 am

Well i personally think that Kenya Moore deserved to be beaten for several reasons

– Firstly this is not the first time, she is starting up trouble during a re union event. Last year’s reunion this same Kenya Moore was in the middle of controversy, saying that someone’s husband was chasing her and sending her text messages. meanwhile she was the one who went to look for him in the hotel and was pushing herself on him. She was also pushing her self on another womans husband when they went on group vacation, dancing on the men and jumping into the pool with peoples husbands.

As if this wasnt enough this same Kenya Moore has been repeatedly calling Porsha names like dumb, barbie and always shutting her up when she speaks or tries to speak in public. She also sent Porsha out of her event because Porsha didnt show up in the costume she asked her to wear.

Kenya was also the reason Phaedras husband beat someone up in a pillow talk event because her busy body got off the chair and went across the room to try and stir up a lady in front of the ladys husband. The whole pillow talk event went sour because Kenya got up and tensioned the atmosphere with her bossy personality.

In the recent trip she also kept going to meet Apollo i.e the man she was trying to meet in his hotel room .(.cc my second paragraph) and kept having conversations when clearly Apollos wife had warned her to stay off him because she has been acting very seductive towards him and in the end she would have the guts to say well your husband wants to be my friend thereby stiring up drama.

To be honest she has done so much in the house, she also fell out with Phaedra and made a work out video which was originally Phaedras idea.
    -She is constantly trying to insult Porsha and make Porsha feel dumb by shutting her up, interupting her and insulting her ability to make sound decisions.

The only reason she is still on this show is because her drama brings ratings. In reality her personality is far from acceptable. She is lose with peoples husbands in their presence, has a foul tongue and likes to push people too much. She needs counselling and this is the reason why her relationships hardly last.

So for those insulting Porsha, please I feel she is going through alot from a break up at a young age & then to have some one like Kenya emotionally abuse her and bully her when they see, I believe that Kenya should be called to order cus they allow her get away with too much

• juju

May 16, 2014 at 6:58 am

seconded!!! well said!!!! i just wonder all does ppl saying dey dnt support violence… dts BS… do you know how much it takes to provoke someone…you cnt go to d lions den wt d pln to provoke him wtout expecting to get bitten.

BTW dey said she is a role model to young girls… which young girls???? many ppl didnt know of her before RHOA… nd correct me if im wrong. she won dz miss USA ant 21 yrs ago… dt ws before i ws born… so please!, if u wnt to b treated like a lady you have to act like one.

20. creamissh

April 24, 2014 at 1:11 am

kenya always wanted porsha off d show… she provoked her with the sceptre and megaphone thing, but poor porsha’s been going thru a lot, and leave it to kenya to rub it all in , she simply just took advantage of her weakness and pushed her buttons , my advice to porsh darling, quit the show, you need a break, go out and learn more about yourself as a person date guys and just try and be happy.

21. FrenchMontana

April 24, 2014 at 2:15 am

Trust naijas to give their half assed dumb ass ignorant ass opinions on a system and situation they know nothing to very little about. Some idiot is saying physically assaulting someone is a crime but they fail to realize that there is more to it. That if you feel unsafe in a situation, you can indeed stand up for yourself That’s why you can shoot at an intruder or even trespasser in the US. In naija, ppl will ask how you knew the person was going to harm you since they hadn’t approached you yet. But they were wrongfully on your property!!!
    Violence is wrong and will be punished but I tell you, if Porsha’s lawyer can show that pointing a dangerous object like that and using a bullhorn in her face was a threat to her then she will get off with a much lighter punishment.
    Thank Jah say we no get jury for naija. Na ppl like Soloact, Ayo & Looters that will determine others destiny. Jah forbid!!!

22. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

April 24, 2014 at 2:28 am

ANDY COHEN SHOULD HAVE SENT KENYA AND PORSHA HOME NOT JUST PORSHA. THAT WAS NOT RIGHT. BY THE WAY KENYA HAD THAT TAKE DOWN COMING. MAY HAVE REACTED JUST LIKE PORSHA DID BC KENYA JUST WOULD’NT STOP.

23. Jay

April 24, 2014 at 3:12 am

If I read or hear Kenya’s “second Black woman to be crowned Miss USA” line one more time, I think I might scream!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut it please!

24. Styleny

April 24, 2014 at 3:44 am

Please be quiet!! see all these ones saying they don’t support Porscha for fighting..Nigeria girls that not half of what Kenya did to provoke Porscha is done to y’all and its straight up Ajegunle fight…..pu leeease!!

25. Meah

April 24, 2014 at 8:30 am

I think its really funny how most comments here have veered off the main issue. I dont watch the show so i really cant be bothered ’bout who got beat but catfights amongst grown women just saddens me, especially black women. Shows like this only reinforce a stereotype; that African-American women are a no good, hair pulling, face scratching lot. And to think the stereotype is being encouraged by these supposed ‘role models’ goes beyond the pale. sad, really sad.

26. Iteire Apollos

April 24, 2014 at 8:33 am

HAHA. This is unbelievable!!! Never in my life have i seen anything like this not until now. Common that’s a broadcast with how many million views and now it’s gone viral. Those really messed up. Common, SELFCONTROL…
    Still find it hard to believe what i just watched.

27. Adebola

April 24, 2014 at 8:45 am

I will always shun violence; it is never the way to go in any situation. But serzly, I don’t trust myself to maintain cool when someone provokes and bullies me continuously the way Porsha did Kenya. What’s that? Was she high on something? Pointing sceptre to my face??!. Maybe walking out of the scene may be ideal but if it hasn’t happened, I can’t tell what I will do. On a lighter note; I will probably walk out the scene, I no sabi fight at all. The last time I got physical was in secondary school – Jss2 I think, the girl beat me black and blue that her name stuck to my head like leech..:) I wonder what I was thinking; she was bigger than me.

Read my stories and rants on thematronwrites.com

28. sum1special

April 24, 2014 at 10:50 am

Never watched the show,but from the footage,violence is a no-no…under no circumstance should you hit anyone(Porsha).with that said,do not provoke people to anger because what you see is what you get(Kenya).

29. Free

April 24, 2014 at 1:43 pm

None of these women are perfect and have all exhibited “ratchet” behavior. However, in my opinion both Kenya and Porsha provoked each other. They’ve never liked each other and the insults just went downhill from there. Porsha said some pretty horrible things to Kenya concerning rumors about her African prince, calling her a b….* and saying she would eff her up. Kenya responded in kind and referred to Porsha cheating on Kordell and that’s where Porsha lost all control. None of their actions were right, but if Porsha doesn’t know how to play the game of banter & throwing shades, she should have just been a lady, left the room and demand Kenya not have the props. Phaedra and Kenya hate each other, and have exchanged enough insults, yet never resorted to physical violence. Do you think Phaedra really doesn’t feel like slapping the weave off of Kenya sometimes?

30. Stephanie

April 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm

LOL
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

31. Sade

April 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm

So…no one’s answering the question?
    I find any adults brawling over ridiculous little things funny as long as it’s not someone I care about and I’m not within striking distance. Whether they’re male or female is irrelevant really but females fighting tend to be less aggressive which I think is why people can fully enjoy the comical side without fearing that someone will die. Why shouldn’t I find it funny? I don’t know their history but from what I can see from the clip, this Kenya person had it coming and maybe next time she’ll reconsider blatantly disrespecting another woman like that in public.
    I don’t think people should use violence as a first resort but I can’t say that if I was in Porsha(?)’s position and not being filmed, I wouldn’t have taken the sceptre and beat her with it.

32. [email protected] Best Catfight Videos

April 25, 2014 at 3:44 am

Hmmm. I think If I would to choose to watch between a catfight or a guy’s fight, I would pick the catfight. Guys hit hard. Blood spills. It’s all very ugly and usually stupid. Catfights usually start over a man. I guess whomever allowed her to have that prop on the couch was asking for a major provocation. It goes right to the nerves. Bravo knew it was coming.

33. Stella Kashmoney

April 25, 2014 at 8:06 am

Kenya Moore finally got her ass whooped. Go Porsha Go Porsha.

34. Amh

May 23, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Porsha should have controlled her anger. Her behavouir was wrong. But kenya is a bully and very manupulative and disgusting. Now that the jailbird is off, i wonder what her storyline will be. Am shocked to read online with pictures , that married nigerian tonye cole is her african prince. Truly he is into oil. But i wonder what tonye cole who is a redeemed pastor was photograhed going on a walk with kenya moore, and she came to nija to see him. Its just lame. Shes horrible with her crusty face.