Style

#FiftyShadesOfBlack – WOW! Beverly, Osas, Vimbai, Dakore, Taiwo & More Talk Black Beauty

BellaNaija.com

They’re black and beautiful!

Last week, BN helped kick off actress Beverly Naya‘s inspiring campaign – #FiftyShadesOfBlack which aims to uphold the whole essence of being black and loving your beautiful skin.

Today, we have Beverly as well as Taiwo Ajayi Lycett, Osas Ighodaro, Vimbai Mutinhiri, Stephanie Coker, Munachi Abii, Dakore Akande and Isi Atagamen all sharing with us what black beauty means to them.

Enjoy!

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (1)
Beverly Naya
I wear my chocolate skin with pride and grace. My complexion represents courage, the courage to go out there and work determinedly in a world and industry where my skin tone is not considered to be the most ‘desirable’.

My complexion inspires me to challenge conventions and show that a dark woman can be just as beautiful and successful as any other complexion, thus empowering young girls so that they too can believe in themselves and their gifts. I have never believed in a hierarchy of beauty determined by complexion hence I see beauty equally distributed in all shades.

It is left to the individual to realise her inner and outer beauty and then confidently project that to the world.

Black girls, this campaign is for you, for you motivate me to keep rising so that I may be an example of strength to you. Love yourself, for nobody else in this world can love you more than you can.
And to all my sisters out there, let us confidently embrace ourselves, flaws and all.

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (6)
Taiwo Ajayi Lycett
It’s an old chestnut, I know. But, you better believe it – Black is Beautiful! And I have always endeavoured to live the truth and integrity of that statement.

Black is Beautiful – and my own Black femininity, my female African-ness has never ever been an issue up for debate, or one that I was willing to compromise because they have always been sacrosanct.

Contemporary Black women, especially the young, ought to not only realize, appreciate, cherish and be confident in the diverse complexions of their perfectly beautiful black skin, but also respect and learn to relax in that knowledge because it is, to me, wonderful, extraordinary! The stuff of Academy awards!!

My dear young ladies, stand tall. You are of a proud and enduring heritage. Marcus Garvey, (or was it Samuel Ajayi Crowther) said, “Only the best is good enough for Africa”. You are the Best!
You’re Extraordinary!

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (8)
Osas Ighodaro
My Black is Beautiful… Your Black is Beautiful… Our Black is and will always be BEAUTIFUL. Believe it!

Being comfortable in my own skin and proud of what God has blessed me with has not always been an easy journey. Growing up with low self-esteem was certainly a major struggle which was stemmed from not being comfortable in my own skin. Thankfully enough I had positive role models and an amazing support system that helped guide me to be proud of who I am… ME!

Not everyone would have a similar experience which is why I’m so proud and grateful to be a part of a campaign that enriches and encourages black girls and women.

Being the first Nigerian-American to be crowned Miss Black USA should certainly tell you that Black is Beautiful!! My talent performance for the competition was a monologue entitled – “What if I am a Black Woman”

This performance perfectly encompasses the reason why Black is Beautiful!
Take a look

Your Light and Beauty begins within you and exudes for the world to see. Be Proud, Be You…Your Black is Beautiful. Remember, God makes no mistakes.

Peace, Love, Blessings!

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (9)
Vimbai Mutinhiri
I’ve lost track of my complexion, it is called so many names. My black beauty means not labelling myself as anything, but rather embracing who I am.

Being a unique complexion is so important because it has taught me to love myself, and has grown my confidence – I have learnt that I am not a definition of what you see when you look at me.

Loving what is within is beauty in any color. I’ve never believed that cosmetic beauty is defined by colour or complexion, but rather by features and the way they are carried.

We all have our personal cosmetic preferences, the only time there is no unity is when people are unsure of where they are in their journey. Confident women who love themselves would never hold colour or complexion against one another, because they are whole enough to find beauty in everything.

So to the young black girl, embrace your quirks, oddities and differences because timeless beauty lies in each one of our unique characteristics.

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (3)
Linda Ejiofor
The harsh reality is that the world is a judgemental place. Our prejudices are informed by experience, history and social conditioning. A

n even deeper reality is that despite the fact that we come in all hues and shades, skin isn’t exempt from those prejudices. Our different shades of skin are a kaleidoscope that gives character to the world.

Imagine us being a colourful palette ready to be splattered on primed canvas. I’m proud of the skin I am in. Embrace who you are and show the world your colour.

So to the young beautiful girls out there, don’t let anyone tell you you’re ugly just because you are not light skinned, dark skinned, chocolate skinned. You’re beautiful…In your own skin.

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (2)
Stephanie Coker
My black skin is something I wear with pride, I have no shame and no need to hide it. They often say, “girl, you are light skinned, you don’t know what it’s like”.

They’ll buy anything just to get lighter. It saddens me, they think they will find what they need in a concoction of cream. But honestly speaking, true love and beauty comes from within.

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (5)
Munachi Abii
I am an African woman, the color of my skin does not change that fact. My brothers and sisters are black, we are all different shades of black and we are all beautiful. If God made us all and saw that we were beautiful, why do we hate ourselves?

I feel like there is an unspoken condition in the minds of most Africans that makes us feel like ‘the lighter you are, the better your chances’. Well, how can we love one another if we don’t love ourselves?

My words can’t fit into a few sentences, but I will say this;
My young black sister, you are beautiful. Don’t let no trend or person tell you any different. The man for you will love you just the way you are, you will be admired by the big and small alike, because you are strong and diligent.

Everything you touch will prosper because you believe. So start believing…Your Black is Beautiful!

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (4)
Dakore Akande
Black beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and this is no accident. We need to embrace, accept and appreciate our individual uniqueness.

The society/media hasn’t helped in this regard by imposing ideas that the light-skinned beauty is the only acceptable beauty and it is wrecking havoc on all of us.

We all inherently want to be loved and accepted but if being a certain way or skin color is considered un-cool we want to do whatever it takes to be cool even if it means harming ourselves in the process.

At this point I want to say that bleaching or plastic surgery is a matter of choice and everyone is entitled to that.

I feel complexion is just the color of your skin and it shouldn’t really matter. Whatever complexion the creator made you should be appreciated.

Unfortunately society and colonial mentality has made we Africans believe that whatever is lighter is better, more attractive and more beautiful.

There is a lot of discrimination that we have put upon ourselves and the complexion issue has been a divisive one rather than a uniting issue and we need to stop that.

Some encouraging words for the young black girl- you are beautiful as you are, you are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Love yourself warts and all and focus on your inner beauty because that’s what will shine through, no matter your complexion.

Fifty Shades of Black  August 2014 - BN Beauty - BellaNaija.com 01 (7)
Isi Atagamen
For me, my black beauty is a gift, one that cannot be bought for any price. It’s a gift of protection from the damaging effects of the sun, a means to stand out amongst many, it is who I am and I am so proud to be me.

As an international model I have overtime realised that black beauties are usually the admiration of many people all over the world, shades and all.

Generally, I feel it really doesn’t boil down to the colour of your skin, it starts from your state of mind, who you are, and your beliefs. It’s all of us who flourish from within and come out to show radiance and unity.

To the young black girl, cherish and love yourself first and this confidence which should not be mistaken for an excessive amount of pride, will make others love and cherish you.

For more info on #FiftyShadesOfBlack, send an e-mail to [email protected] | Instagram- @fiftyshadesof_black

Credits
Photography: Aham Ibeleme
Stylist/Creative Director: Ifan Ifeanyi Michael
Make-up: David Sucre & Lilian Paul for Flare Beauty
Hair: Patrick Ibrahim
Co-ordinator/Founder: Beverly Naya

1. titi

August 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm

OK NICE ONE
    SO NOW I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU ALL BEVERLY AND THIS WHOlE CREW TO SHOW US YOUR NATURAL HAIR.

NOW THAT YOU LOVE YOUR SKIN CAN YOU SAY SAME FOR YOUR BALD HAIR.. YOUR CAMPAIGN IS NOT COMPLETE UNLESS WE ALL SEE YOUR REAL HAIR, that is if theres any left at all after decades of weaving horse hair on your head.

My inspiration as a dark skin woman comes from the likes of Real and non hypocritical gorgeous ladies like LUPITA NYONGO, who inspired me to grow my natural hair to couple with this gorgeous chocolate skin I have.

SO I BEG TAKE A COUPLE IF SEATS AND DONT SEND MIX SIGNALS. DONT CAMPAIGN FOR PPL TO LOVE THEIR NATURAL BORN SKIN WHEN YOU HAVE FAKE HORSE HAIR UNDERNEATH THAT SCARF

• frankliet

August 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Lol, titi.

• Dezz

August 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm

My own is with Osas and her Miss ‘BLACK’ USA thingy, was there a chance of a white woman contesting? Which one is “Being the 1st Nigerian-American to win the Black Miss USA should tell you that black is beautiful” Dumb insert….

• Marie Antoinette

August 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Oh please! True naturalistas don’t shove the idea down people’s lives. Then again you only just got inspired by Lupita, so you are new in the game. Life’s a choice…wear your natural hair, let me wear my permed or horse hair. Haba!

• nike

August 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm

You havent finished o. What about their make up? They should be bare faced shebi. Please where does it end. Ppl need to stop making comments like this at least encourage wat they are trying to do

• Darkchild

August 9, 2014 at 8:59 pm

The last time I checked, makeup was not for light skinned people only…makeup enhances our beauty irrespective of skin tone… so for you to throw the idea of them wearing making ehhhmmm does not support ur argument ;(

• Pradacandy

August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm

You are mean!! You need that seat…desperately!!

• Rick

August 9, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Sit, Tits.

• shola

August 9, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Titi you are just full of -. You think keeping your Natural hair is what makes you natural. News flash it’s not. YOU are just a broke ass wishing you had money to buy weaves. People like you can never see anything good and appreciate it. It’s all about skin colour and nothing to do with hair!!!

• Idomagirl

August 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm

You have a serious problem.

• Emo

August 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Some pple love to keep the natural hair oooh!!!! but it is too hard, i mean so hard dat they must put some relaxer on it else they won’t be able to comb it. whatz de need of torturing urself just bec u want to keep natural hair? the focus of this campaign is abt the skin colour not hair. They r trying to create awareness to those who think being of lighter complexion is better, that it isn’t and that we all beautiful the way we were created.

• Anonymous

August 10, 2014 at 12:24 am

This is why I can’t stand “team natural” females. You’re always so quick to look down on those who relax their hair and use weaves. It’s a PERSONAL choice, stop shoving your ridiculous principles down our throats. Not everyone with relaxed hair has bad hair or isn’t proud of their roots. Apply intelligence before writing essays.

• Fashionista

August 10, 2014 at 11:16 am

Co-sign!

• AsHaNI

August 10, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Gbam!! Gbammest!! plus the fact that most of #teamnaturalists always look untidy bakan akan

• Uche

August 11, 2014 at 9:24 am

Well said!!!!!…. Either you appreciate the cause or you zip it

• Nala

February 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

The shoving down of the principles is wrong, the principles itself are not ridiculous. For years we were made to believe that we had to look as white as possible to be as good or as beautiful as them. The movement basically stems from the realization of that lie and the owning of our heritage.

• Akaahan Terungwa

August 10, 2014 at 5:37 am

I must appreciate your comment, Titi. Being black goes beyond just the skin…black is holistic and the twin attributes of hair color/texture and the hue of the skin are the most distinguishing features of a black person.

I am a man, yes – a bald man. But guess what? Sometimes, I go without ‘barbing skull’ for 3 whole months just so that my ‘baldness’ would be more visible. And yes, when I go to the saloon, it is because I am tired of combing my hair every morning or I just wish to enjoy better air!

If I were a woman, I would have been the same – or worse!

African women, wake up! While this is a great move, till we stop seeing those ‘blonde’ Brazilian stuff on your heads, we won’t really take you serious!

Always,
      Terungwa

• JA

August 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm

You only have to take one woman seriously,,,,the one who cares for your opinion, who knows who you are and whose bills you pay. Its not really that hard you know. Same applies to you, Titi

2. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

August 9, 2014 at 2:23 pm

This Munachi is such a beautiful woman….haba!

3. Aduks

August 9, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I usually ‘scope’ & is attracted to ladies with skins of a lighter tone. But an awakening ensued in my mind. This is good stuff you ladies are doing. BLACK is indeed BEAUTIFUL!

4. brainchild

August 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Why is the hair all hidden? This means nothing with your hair covered up.

5. TUNDE

August 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm

its only black women always beating their chest, “I am black and I am Beautiful, I am Black and I am Beautiful blah blah blah – that stupid retarded BET award show called “My black is beautiful.

You dont see any other race doing that. That alone goes to show deep down you dont feel beautiful.

Beautiful people dont say or affirm it – You just know – and their confidence just exude. You people are just doing too much – you are doing the most

And i agree with titi 100% – dont talk about people should love their skin when clearly you HATE your natural hair. I love Lupita too – she is real.

• Melinda

August 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Foooool…….

• TheRealist

August 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Just saw this… THANKS a bunch!

• blessing

August 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm

do you know why other races do not have to say this? Its because other races and blacks say they are beautiful because they have light skin and straight hair but when it comes to blacks other races keep quite but blacks tell other blacks that because of their dark skin and kinky hair they are ugly and from what you wrote i am guessing you are one of those people.

• nene

August 9, 2014 at 7:17 pm

it is a campaign. campaigns have changed lives my friend, so your argument makes little sense. you can’t compare the struggles of a dark skinned black woman to a woman of any other race. fact!

• Darkchild

August 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Tunde, a beg dont be speaking nonsense here oh…. the reason why campaigns like this exist in the first place is because of all the complexions you can possibly think about, the one that is abused or downplayed or called ugly or not attractive (dating from colonial times) is the dark complexion or very black people/women… however you want to call it. So for that reason, many people (men included) of this complexion have sought various ways to enhance/change their complexion to make themselves fit the mold or make themselves fit the world’s definition of being beautiful. Ads like this reignite a fire for these dark complexion women and remind them that they are beautiful no matter their skin tone.
      I can almost compare it to a once confident beautiful wife who after dating a verbally or physically abusive husband, loses her confidence, luster and joie de vivre… until someone helps her smell the coffee, she will never just how confident and beautiful she wants us…

see plenty writing oh… anyways i hope ur at least seeing the light now as to why there is a need for these constant reminders for dark skin women…
      Oyah, go forth from here and only speak sense

• Darkchild

August 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Type corrections:

‘..she once was, not ‘she wants us’

• Anonymous

August 10, 2014 at 12:31 am

Gosh, I am so amazed there is more than one comment highlighting how stupid people reason. Black females have EVERY right to make themselves and others know we are indeed beautiful, bold, strong, intelligent etc because no one else will. The media has created a terrible image of black women (if they’re not twerking on vine and in music videos, they are screwing married men in tv shows) and it is our duty to emphasise the POSITIVE characteristics we possess. If as a black man (I’m assuming you’re a male from your name), you feel this is unnecessary, then I weep for this generation. We definitely need no assurance from people like you so get off your high horse. And for the last time. Relaxed hair/weaves DOES NOT automatically mean someone has bad hair or is insecure.

• Bolanle

August 10, 2014 at 12:39 am

I can tell you’re very simple-minded.

• cos I say so

August 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Dear Tunde,if you have not been living under a rock for a while,you’d have noticed the alarming rate at which black girls are bleaching their skin… this campaign is an effort to curb that!
      Bleaching to me is a loud cry for help, its an obvious sign of low self esteem,what every girl should be aiming at is clean glowing skin not white skin
      Their is this mentality that white is good&black is bad… even white phones are more expensive than black ones
      Well if with all the campaign,propaganda and education of what all of these chemicals can do to the skin,a girl or guy for that matter still feels the need to damage their skin with their own money,then it’s their loss
      I have been a victim of that slave mentality but I thank God I stopped before it was too late,it took a sort of awakening for me to realize that this skin I was born into is beautiful and I can only make the best of it so instead of “toning” my skin,i started eating healthy and I got the coveted glow in a short while
      I’m black and I’m proud
      So back to you Mr Tunde and all of you who think this campaign is foolish,note that bleaching is a sure sign of low self esteem
      They are helping women overcome that

6. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

August 9, 2014 at 3:39 pm

The underlining message is, be yourself no matter what! Nice initiative Beverly, just wish it had creative name to go with it or was ’50 shades of grey’ an inspiration?

7. Melinda

August 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Titi and all the other so called “NATURALISTS ” you are just full of shit. You think keeping your Natural hair is what makes you natural. News flash it’s not. YOU are just a broke ass wishing you had money to buy weaves. People like you can never see anything good and appreciate it. It’s all about skin colour and nothing to do with hair!!!

• Iris

August 9, 2014 at 7:19 pm

News flash keeping natural hair isnt cheap, its actually more expensive than relaxer and weaves. You have to buy good conditioners mostly 99% natural ingredient to keep it soft also have to style it everyday to look presentable or you look dirty and mad. Being natual take time, commitment and confidence. Trust me its no broke matter many fall off the natural wagon.
      That said no need to curse, they have valuable point embracing your skin and wearing a false hair is contradicting which i think is why they allnhave head wraps to distract from that falseness and concentrate on skin tone. How is buying bleaching cream different from buying relaxer to change and manipulate your God given hair texture and buying a white hair woman hair to add to your coily/curly hair if you don’t want to look white?

• anonymous

August 9, 2014 at 11:32 pm

If you spend that much on your hair, is it really dat natural just cos they say the stuff you use have only ‘natural ingredients’.

How about your skin, do you oil it with palm oil or juices from leaves? No one is natural, the fact that you wear clothes, cream yourself and apply fragrances means you’re not.

People fix weaves, cut their hair, braid cos they like it. True confidence is doing what you really want to do and showing the world your best true self while allowing others to be themselves. If people go natural out of bullying, how is that confidence? and the same applies for weaves and braids too. Let’s live and let live abeg.

Just so you know dear, people with healthy self esteem do not shove their opinions down people’s throats, they live and let live.

I hope to God I didn’t come across as controversial, I am just tired of the various teams ‘Natural’ ‘Human Hair’ ‘Black skin’ ‘Light skin’. ‘Skinny’, ‘Curvy’. Infact, I’m so tired I could screaM.

I’ll leave with modification of a song from my sunday school.

‘Jesus loves all the females
      especially those of the black race
      whether dark, chocolate or light
      wearing weaves or human
      Jesus loves all the females of world’

Peace y’all.

• [email protected]

August 10, 2014 at 12:11 am

All these team naturals are just a big joke! Are the weaves, extensions , braids n all u rock in d bid to wear protective styles your God given hair ? Make Una wear only Una natural hair and no wigs/extensions ever then we go listen to Una. rubbish n stupid hypocrites.

• Idomagirl

August 10, 2014 at 6:06 am

1) Stop generalising, not every naturalista talks like Titi.
      2) Get rid of the foolish mentality that only broke people wear their natural hair. Educate yourself it’s not that hard.

8. TheRealist

August 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Totally unnecessary “chip-on-the-shoulder” campaign. There are many of us who are white and just as proud to be African!

• Shadie

August 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm

@TheRealist “Let us change our mindsets so that we can see the beauty in all beings and in that way, grow together as inspirations to the generations to come.'” The word is ALL BEINGS so pls don’t start any race war here, we have enough ignorance in Africa.

• Nala

February 11, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Well lucky for you, the odds are in your favour thats why this seems unnecssary! But for the girls out there that the world discriminates or looks as them as unpretty, they need this! No one is dragging Africa with you, feel free to start your campaign on caucasian Africans.

9. Angel

August 9, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I did not see any beauty in the above pics, sorry try again..( tongue out)
    Seriously what’s with all these beauty this, beauty that photo shoots? I agree with Tunde, good looking peeps don’t go around telling everybody hey am beautiful, look at me! they simply exudes confidence. I also believe beauty comes from the inside, it has nothing to do with skin colour. most really beautiful women I know don’t have the wow-she’s-so-pretty factor on the outside but their carriage, confidence, personality and achievements simply makes u see or describe them as very very beautiful regardless of colour.

10. Solo

August 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Yes why don’t y’all go full 100% natural. I mean titi and likes could set up a nudist camp, be free and liberated and let everything just hang out SOUTHWARD. No gravity defying contraptions. Am all for team titi. And natural hair is actually dreads so throw away al your brushes and combs, soaps, creams etc just show us your ashy beautiful selves.

• Chineze

August 10, 2014 at 12:04 am

Yea…no bra, no make- up…no clothes even! that’s truly natural. Natural hair Nazi..to me their hair is now a form idol. Its sick really…

11. Olanma

August 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Love me some Dakore.

12. nene

August 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

i don’t think munachi should be in this campaign. she is always saying “teamlightskinned” and she feels superior because of her skin, fact! everyone else looks good, but stephanie coker is not light skinned, and she is also toning her skin.

13. nene

August 9, 2014 at 7:18 pm

they should’ve gotten mercy johnson , especially for this campaign because she’s been attacked due to her skin.

14. khaleesi

August 9, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I really dnt get the way some people think. What has the article got to do with natural hair? I am a natural haired lady but i dont go around shoving my nappy hair ideology down peoples throat. We wonder why there’s so much violence in the world today, the answer is simple…. people are beginning to forget what love is all about. Please let us spread the gospel of LOVE. Be kind,be nice,be patient,learn to tolerate others,etc. 1 Cor 13:4.

Kudos to u Beverly!

15. Shadie

August 9, 2014 at 7:44 pm

People I think the message is all about self love no matter what your complexion is and it has nothing to do with nappy, natural, permed or weave hair. All the same we can still love one another no matter what your hair preference or hairstyle is. Carry go Beverly.

16. Benny

August 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm

lmfao…..hilarious comments! But why are some people so bitter? I agree with Tunde tho….its only black women that do this thing. i’ve never heard a white or an asian woman shouting to the whole world that they are beautiful. Emphasizing to the whole world that you are black n beautiful.. This campaign really is speaking to those bleaching if u have common sense. So titi dear think well before writing. Bleaching is harmful to your health but make up and weave aren’t

17. latifa

August 9, 2014 at 8:54 pm

This campaign is letting us know that Black comes in different shades…..chocolate,caramel etc. So Yes my light skin tone doesn’t make me less black, and I’m not beautiful because I have a lighter or darker skin, I am beautiful because I am. There are so many shades to black the more people start seeing it and stop asking why a light skinned girl won the MBGN or why this artist didn’t use a darker skin girl or assume every light skin girl is bleaching….The better for us all.

• dobis

August 10, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thank You, it people like Nene that makes this world a difficult place to live in, why point out Muna, so what if she is proud of her light skin. So Mercy deserves to be there coz she has a darker shade but not Muna….Girl please take a seat and don’t stand up until you are asked to. I just can’t with this hypocrisy if muna is saying #teamlightskin then why don’t u simply hashtag whatever shade your skin is and put it up on IG too….Mtcheew

18. Darkchild

August 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Seriously though… Im just blown away by everyone who keeps making comments about the texture of their hair, blah blah blah… what has that got to do with them embracing their skin tone?? Haven’t you seen very dark skin women with naturally long curly hair? What will we say about them? Its two different things to embrace your skin tone versus love ur hair texture… so if they left it nappy and dyed it, or braided it, will that make them more worthy to do this add? or why are we focusing on if they have weaves on or not? sigh of frustration!
    I am super dark skin and play ard with my hair styles all the darn time, that does not for one second make me love my complexion any less…
    So please, lets make valid arguments or points if we absolutely feel the need to say sth… or counter something good. I don tire, aba!!

19. lily

August 9, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Nice words from Linda EjioforN Beverly Naya

20. Anonymous

August 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm

“BEAUTY IS VAIN BUT A WOMAN THAT FEARS THE LORD IS TO BE PRAISED”
    True beauty radiates from within,irrespective of the colour,race or skin tone. I believe more emphasis should be laid on enhancing ourselves from within (CHARACTER) which will keep us in the palace (ESTHER) because BEAUTY can only take you there (VASHTI).

21. yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

August 9, 2014 at 10:17 pm

You have just acquired a new fan, Beverly Naya! What an amazing actress you are!

22. Changing Faces

August 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I think they should feature someone that has bleached her skin like Dencia or Toke. If you love yourself in a different colour, be bold to stand for it. If the message is about all shades, then do not discriminate against bleaching. It’s a good message but keep it real

• Idomagirl

August 10, 2014 at 6:08 am

I assume you are trolling.

• Changing Faces

August 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

My opinion may not be popular but it’s mine, so… troll off my comment

• GIDI UP SEASON TWO EPISODE ONE REVIEW

August 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Its just weird how these “Black is Beautiful” campaigns ALWAYS subtly throw shade at Toke, Freda, Yvonne n others.

23. Angel

August 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Y’all need to calm down abeg, haba oginidi? The western abi whites you all are looking up to saying they are beautiful are quite insecure with their looks as well, or why do you think plastic surgeons are freaking billionaires in America today? Most white women have had one or multiple cosmetic surgery done to enhance their look. I don’t get this obsession with beauty, please ladies let’s strive to be more than just a beautiful face…

• VICTORIOUS

August 10, 2014 at 9:18 am

Spoken like an angel…..

• Nala

February 11, 2015 at 11:18 pm

The whole essence is not to look up to white people. Who we are is enough. The campaign is about encouraging selflove – esp complexion. If you want to start a campaign on loving your actual flaws, feel free to!

24. Chineze

August 10, 2014 at 12:08 am

We have to offer the world than just our skin tone..hair texture.. I love the campaign though.

25. Chineze

August 10, 2014 at 12:09 am

We have more to offer the world than just our skin tone, hair texture… I love the campaign though.

26. cynth

August 10, 2014 at 12:17 am

I see that a number of people have pointed out the fact that it is only the black race that beat their hand on their chest and do all of this. Am here to give you an answer.
    Our past as regards colonialism has affected and destroyed to certain extent our perception of self. Although we have come a long way in truly finding ourselves and renouncing all the facts that colonialism has shove down our throats, there are still few of these perceptions that are embedded in the present day black community which are been passed on to the younger generation. Hence, the need for campaigns of this nature to propagate the significance of self worth and to also help people who need to find themselves. Just because you don’t need it does not mean someone else doesn’t. This might actually be saving someone. I live in a community where racism is still existent and believe me reading messages like this to a victim would go long way in saving such person from impending doom. I implore us all to give constructive criticism if need be.

27. www.jeenager.com

August 10, 2014 at 1:56 am

My black is beautiful, lovely campaign. Kudos to Beverly.

jeenager.com

28. Love

August 10, 2014 at 6:40 am

This is a love your SKIN campaign, please tell me what does that have to do with Natural Hair? SMH

29. napa

August 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

The focus of the campaign is to love you for who you are.

30. Omoté

August 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I loved dis shoot better than d first….dis was bit diverse. As 4 d natural hair activists…ur choice! I dnt understand why it always has to always has to be a campaign, I started transitioning in January cos my hair was breaking badly. I dnt force it dwn any1’s throat, I’m currently wearing a weave. It’s not a religion neither is it a way of life abeg make una let people hear word!

31. benny

August 10, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Benny don de plenty for this forum. Do we write Benny1 and Benny2 or just allow ppl to differentiate?

32. MoM

August 10, 2014 at 8:18 pm

kudos to all the women on the list. I was carried away by their beauty and didnt need any explanation, even the tittle simplified it all.. “FIFTYSHADESOFBLACK” .People that hate never makes progress in life. live and let others live. Some naturalist tho, should everyone go natural because people are going natural? My hair is natural by choice, not as if its easy maintaining the natural hair sef. lol

33. wisest duchess

August 11, 2014 at 8:13 am

Beverly is ‘fining’ up.

34. Bella

August 11, 2014 at 9:20 am

Self love is key. Do so knowing you were created in the image of God himself, what is not love about that! God never errs, he created you in his image, so how can there be fault in that beauty! keep on rocking the 50SHadesofBlack. I am black, proud and so beautiful! Peace and love and a very happy Monday to you all skins of colour!

35. Nelly A.

August 11, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Wonderful campaign. Black is our color, black is in our blood. The slave masters saw our strength and tried to ruin us psychologically. But look around, the strength of black lies in us, we own it, Say no to bleaching creams my people.
    nelly4.wordpress.com

36. Medlyn

August 11, 2014 at 2:36 pm

BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL….. I love being black, i love the campaign, alot of dark skinned ladies have followed the bleaching trend. All we need is to always reassure ourselves that our skin tone does not affect our personality. We are all unique and beautiful in our own way, Dakore looks sturnning!

37. sum1special

August 11, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Their make up is on point…They all look stunning

38. IGwe

August 11, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Fine fine sisis be like “my (photoshop-glossed) black skin is this and that…” – ok no problem. Well it’s a pity a campaign like has a cause. Make Una no forget to like and appreciate our culture and traditions too. – all of Una kind wey go deride person because him spoke English (wey no be him own language) wrongly.