Sweet Spot

Holiday Meals Made Easy! Uzo’s Food Labs Shows How To Make Ofada Rice Salad | Watch

Uzo Orimalade of Uzo’s Food Labs shares a simple recipe for the holiday. She calls this one the Ofada Rice Salad.

Check it out!

1. step77

December 23, 2014 at 12:31 am

hmm… I saw ofada and clicked to watch since I absolutely heart ofada stew. I guess I am just learning that ofada itself refers to the type of rice and not the stew. Anyways this salad just does not look palatable to me, the olives, huge chunks of cheese and cherry tomatoes happen to be things that I just cannot stand in my salads. By the way Uzo, correcton: vegans abstain from anything that comes from an animal – that would include cheese.

• uzo

December 23, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yes Step77. Ofada rice is actually named after the region in the south where the rice is grown largely. Like vidalia onions named after Vidalia in Georgia. It’s really just a wild rice of sorts. I feel you on the stew bit…I know people that order white rice and ofada stew. ☺ Re vegans and cheese. It wasn’t till after I saw first cut that I noticed the boo boo

2. Ovuoke

December 23, 2014 at 6:59 am

Them cherry tomatoes should have been chopped in two and the olives pitted. No-one wants to be spitting out seeds from their salad. Otherwise, not a bad rice salad.

• uzo

December 23, 2014 at 10:20 am

Lol. I just got this image of a stone spitting contest. Random I know. So a reason I don’t like to cut tomatoes of any size especially if a salad is not going to be eaten immediately or if it will sit in the fridge is because the tomato juices run and make things go limp and mushy. But that’s my personal preference. I have a serious issue with mush.

• Deemah

December 28, 2014 at 10:18 am

The thing about pitted olives is that they have been proven not to be as fresh and flavourful as the whole ones. Leaving the pits in has a huge effect on the flavour of olives. I understand the convenience factor of using pitted ones in a salad but I think it’s okay to have them whole and as Uzo says, just let the guests know.

3. obi

December 23, 2014 at 7:41 am

Love to try new recipes but ofada rice with its distinctive traditional taste, coupled with cheese, olives ?!?!!!!!. I would tweek the recipe and use a rice with a less overpowering taste. Thanks for the suggestion Uzo

• uzo

December 23, 2014 at 10:23 am

You can definitely substitute with regular rice or even couscous. Interestingly enough, the traditional taste and the smoked cheese balanced each other out. Did not work as well with regular types of cheese – for my palate. Let me know how it turns out with your substitutions. Have a wonderful holiday

• Zinny

December 30, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Hi Uzo,
      Just want to suggest a method of preparing your salad that spares U the turning and turning.
      Add each ingrdient layer by layer. Rice, peppers, olives and then repeat until your ingredients are exhausted.
      Cheers

4. LadyWithTheAfroLocs...

December 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

MRS O!!!!
    nutin do you.

5. Concerned_Boyfriend

December 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Great presentation. I would have loved to see the proportions for the vegetables, other ingredients, the number of servings and so on.