Style

The 5 Most Controversial Looks from the 2014 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards

BellaNaija.com

The 2014 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards which took place in South Africa during the weekend, got everyone talking this week. While some talked about the performances and award winners, most talked about “who wore what?” Even BellaNaijarians got involved in the gist via Instagram and our comments section.

We take a look at the 5 Most Controversial Looks from the 2014 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards!

Tiwa Savage’s “Girlie O” Look
Tiwa Savage - Channel O 2014 - BellaNaijaFor her performance of the “Girlie O” remix with Patoranking, Tiwa rocked this sexy look by Toju Foyeh paired with lace up boots by Tom Ford.

“Girlie O” is a hot song so certainly deserves a hot outfit! However, this outfit attracted lots of comments and chatter.

Kopano Denise Zimba’s Sheer Dress
Denise Zimba - Channel O 2014 - BellaNaija 1Denise Zimba - Channel O 2014 - BellaNaija 2
South African Singer/actress Denise Zimba didn’t let the Nigerian contingent steal the spotlight at the awards event. Her sheer dress by Harry Lekwane got everyone talking!

She defended her look to the Sowetan by saying “For me, everyone has their opinion. I feel like we fought so hard for freedom of speech I want people to have whatever they want to say put out there if it makes them feel better,”

“I was part of the creation of the design, I knew exactly what I wanted to wear. I feel like I’m not gonna be 26 forever, I feel like I’m not gonna have this body forever. I am obsessed with my body because I work hard for it so if I feel like I want to be butt naked that’s what I’m gonna do.”

Seyi Shay’s “Black Carpet Beachwear”
Seyi Shey - Channel O 2014 - BellaNaija 2Seyi Shey - Channel O 2014 - BellaNaija 1
Seyi Shay called her look “Black Carpet Beachwear“. The outfit by Toure Designs caused major controversy after Charles Novia made several comments via Twitter though he later apologized.

Emma Nyra’s Mirror Image
Emma Nyra

Emma Nyra was one of our red carpet faves at the 2014 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards. The Made Men Music Group first lady wore a floor-length blue dress crafted by her stylist Chyna Bee.

It was all well and good until eagle-eyed BN commenter Bruno pointed out that the dress was an almost-exact copy of a dress by Lebanese couturier Zuhair Murad from the label’s F/W 2014 collection.
Zuhair Murad : Runway - Paris Fashion Week : Haute-Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015 Zuhair Murad : Runway - Paris Fashion Week : Haute-Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015

And the Award Goes to…Pam Andrews

Pam AndrewsPam Andrews

If one look could take the prize for most controversial, it would be South African celeb Pam Andrews’ look. Even before the event was over, her photo was trending on Instagram and Twitter.

Pam’s look was tabloid fodder all around the continent. But as you can see, she did not have a care in the world and rocked like no one was looking!
Channel-O-Africa-Music-Video-Awards-December-2014-BellaNaija114

***
We’ll love to hear your thoughts!

Photo Credit: Instagram – joycejacob_jjb/iamseyishay/missdenisezimbaKopano | Getty Images | Reeze Bonna

1. bruno

December 5, 2014 at 1:55 pm

bellanaija, I dont understand. is it not me that told everyone on this blog that emma nyra was wearing a knock off (fake) version of zuhair murad couture, how did gidicollections enter the story.

the so called gidicollections copied and pasted my entire comment. oga o.

BellaNaija.com

December 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Oh wow! Ok will update.

• bruno

December 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm

thank you for changing it. I have officially made it. started from the bottom now we here. lol

• Miss_Flygerian

December 5, 2014 at 2:48 pm

@bruno, lmaooooo you’re a star.

• Ona

December 5, 2014 at 4:11 pm

LMAO @ Bruno! Love me some bruno!

• tutu

December 5, 2014 at 5:56 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOL! Wow! Bruno made it into a BN post? Congratulations! You must feel o! It is an achievement.
      Tacky is the word for Seyi Shay.

• fineola

December 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Gotta love Bruno!

• Khaleesi

December 5, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Bruno, you won kill me with laff

• Laniks

December 5, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Brunooooooo!!!!!!!

• racks_racks

December 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Abi its true oo @bruno and i put up the link for the real one …

• Lolo

December 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm

aaaw our very own bruno is now a star yay!!!just like bonario nnags of linda ikeji!congrats bro/sis which ever one you are!anyway nigerian and other african designers i am on my knees!stop copying oooooo!!!be original if not …..

• kmer sista

December 5, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Ooh Bruno,you re the best commenter over there: I ALWAYS look forward for your comments. You sure know how to give me a REAL LAUGH session after a difficult day at work. Love me some Bruno. BellaNaija thank you for acknowledging Bruno:he deserves the recognition lol

• ACE

December 6, 2014 at 12:10 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOLLL @ I have officially made it. started from the bottom now we here. lol… BRUNO!!! Now i want to know who u really r… Please always be this sane… though i think its your “insanity” that has catpulted u to “stardom’… Enjoy!!!

• nams

December 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm

lmao u are toooooooooooooooooooooo much

• Halia

December 8, 2014 at 12:20 am

Such a character ….lol.

2. TANTRA

December 5, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Pam and Denise, maka why? Pam, your lipstick is very wicked to have stayed put on your lips.

3. Bluebell

December 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm

And these women want men to take them seriously? Only for a strip joint engagement, perhaps

• benny

December 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

And they told u their ambition is for men to take them seriously? Aunty “I live for the love and validation of men”, there are many arguments to back up the inappropriate nature of these outfits.
      Please pick an intelligent one.

4. Ross

December 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I think people are allowed to wear whatever they want, BUT, it’s terribly sad that after fighting so hard for freedom, after the many hardships the african woman has gone through (and is still going through) she has chosen to be a shadow (rather mediocre) of the lower-class western woman. Too sad. We can’t even be creative.
    Pam Andrew’s didn’t even try to have her hair fixed by a proper hairdresser. I must have fake hair!
    Denise Zimba couldn’t find a black man to walk with her?????? Yes I’m throwing in the race card cos we all know that white man who thinks the black woman is good for nothing but her body. Offcourse he’s happy to walk with her. His friends will pat him on the back.
    As for Seyi Shay???????? too random, no comment!

• Idomagirl

December 5, 2014 at 9:11 pm

But did the man walk in with her as her date? Or she just saw him at the venue (probably an acquaintance) and took a picture with her? Cos your generalisation about white men and making this a racial issue is something else.

5. oj

December 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

the world has gone mad. must we copy the rubbish American celebs do? are clothes going extinct? it’s already becoming fashion going naked, thanks to kim k and co. sorry, it’s not “naked”, it’s “nude”, just like “prostitution” is now “runs”.

compared to the rest, tiwa even looked decent. what will the next generation of celebs wear?

6. tee

December 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm

all i can say is “ha!”

7. uju

December 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm

this is utter madness……

8. efe

December 5, 2014 at 2:10 pm

This is a SHOW of SHAME. l do not get it, nothing different from being NAKED!!!!!!!!!!

These people are ROTTEN examples. Nothing to emulate about them. Our Youths and teenagers BEWARE…………………………………….

9. Suwa

December 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm

BrunoNaija

10. 1luv

December 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm

All I see is Western Slavery mentality on display! Rihanna has done therefore I must do, Kim K has done and I must do…sigh

11. aisha

December 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Definition of pure madness!!!!! Is it a crime to be decent now? Aunty Tiwa Savage kilode now?

12. benny

December 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm

hmmmm bruno bruno one pack of kwulikwuli for u u name don enter news lmaooooo

• oj

December 5, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Bruno will start writing articles for bellanaija, make una watch and see.

13. TomQ

December 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Apart from Emma, can someone tell me what these other women were thinking when they stepped out of their homes. Are these really d future mothers of these great continent called African. Hmmmmmm!!!

• jummai

December 5, 2014 at 3:36 pm

But if na beyonce wear am una no go complain oooo

• ynnon

December 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

That would be like complaining that an already mad man is acting mad na. But if someone that wasn’t mad before starts acting mad, of course we will notice and talk.

In Tiwa’s defense, she didn’t dress like that to the awards show, That was her performance outfit. Cant say that it looked great on her though. I like Tiwa sha.

• Ona

December 5, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Why do u people keep using this reasoning as a crutch? Its as if u’re indirectly validating what they’re doing because beyonce did it? I am not a rhianna, or beyonce or miley or kim k fan…i am indifferent…could care less about them. But i didn’t see anyone hyping Kim’s editorials when it was posted here so pls don’t project ur feelings on everyone here. Most people (even non-africans) condemned her posing nude. My issue with these recent display of madness is that they are obviously trying hard to emulate their western counterparts. WHat ever happened to originality? Carving ur own nitch? The desperation is just ridic.

• cos I say so

December 9, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Beyonce no go fit wear am

14. Suzzie

December 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

A treasure is defined as wealth or riches, something of great value stored or kept in a secured manner. I am sure nobody will leave a genuine Rolex watch carelessly. All I can say is if these ladies considered their bodies to be treasures; they will not foolishly put it on display for every dicktom&harry.

15. lara

December 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tiwa”s makeup, the smoky eyes perfect, the lips on fleek.

• Ewa

December 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Please what is fleek?

• madamnk

December 5, 2014 at 7:36 pm

lol it’s like saying “on point”

16. benny

December 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm

BRUNOOOOOOOO… Please we started this journey to stardom with you o. Don’t come and make it and forget ur grassroot buddies o.
    We may not always agree on issues but na still we…

• KNOWMYNAME

December 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm

MY GUY, SUFFRY SUFFRY WITH THE FAMZ!

17. mary

December 5, 2014 at 3:01 pm

and when Charles Novia critisizes them from an elder’s point of view, people will come after him telling him to mind his business. these days people spend so much on rags instead of the proper clothes.

18. GIWJ

December 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Please what’s wrong with these women….. No dignity????? and what happened to virtue. This getting out of hands.

19. GIWJ

December 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Please what’s wrong with these women….. No dignity????? and what happened to virtue. This is getting out of hands.

• L

December 5, 2014 at 4:13 pm

No dignity at all…Rihanna wannabes

20. Chichi

December 5, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Tiwa’s dressing is not controversial at all, them girls are seeking attention. She should not be on that list but the list for ‘needsanotherstylist’ … that outfit doesn’t flatter her shape at all – do i see a cameltoe emerging?

21. LotusFlower

December 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Bruno alerting BN that he was the one that spotted the dress just made my day. I can’t stop laughing!

22. deb

December 5, 2014 at 4:05 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tiwa’s outfit. She is a performer.

23. deesawlarmee

December 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I looooove Tiwa’s outfit. There is nothing wrong with it. And as for d rest, it is well with their souls.

24. prince ajibade

December 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

there’s nothing wrong with Tiwa’s outfit but this Pam ehn, Diaris God

25. chi-e-z

December 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm

These girls were bare a$$ naked …. excluding Tiwa and Emma O_o hmm… If they paid more than 1kobo for those “outfits” reminds me of the Children’s tale “The King’s Clothe” like might as well have walked carpet naked hell if I’d pay to wear sheer nothing.

26. Tosin

December 5, 2014 at 4:38 pm

‘controversial’
    ok o.
    Can’t keep up with the euphemisms. I remember the age of ‘stunning’ like a year ago.

27. missappleberry

December 5, 2014 at 5:08 pm

i love this bruno guy lol! Biko, how do i get your autograph…lmao!

28. Que

December 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Why people spend so much to look so cheap is what doesnt fail to amuse me!

29. [email protected]

December 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm

It’s appalling how many of these so called people sing the freedom song, to justify their tacky and outright improper dresses. It is bad enough that the South African lady’s choice of outfit was every bit, westernised. But, the part where she cited freedom of expression, as a guise for such cheap attention seeking stunt, really got me. If anything such bikini dresses only show how much neo- slavery still exists in our minds, jostling to enact Hollywood nakedness and coat into African means of expression. If dress in local hides and skin-made bikini to a cultural events, then it would have been, a tad justifiable. And for the records, you won’t be 26 and have that body fprever…yes just like you won’t have all the time to explain to your kids what made their mama get naked and look at back as a granny, who’ll have any iota of discipline, dress-wise to instill in her kids. But lemme know something, MUST black celebs and celeb-wannabes copy whites and wear bikinis to award shows! so much for an independent continent!

30. lol

December 5, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Any body that says Rihanna isn’t a trend setter is A LIE!!! Chick came out naked people thought they could do it too. Sorry oh!

31. Person

December 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Tiwa’s boots *drools*

32. Idomagirl

December 5, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I wonder what Charles Novia has to say about Pam and Denise. LMAO

33. bunmi

December 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Abeg you all should park well! Their body, their choice! They wore them, flaunted them, rocked them! Get over yourselves and your moral and dignity bickerings! They dress as they want to be addressed! Dress how you want to be addressed and free them! As long as they are not killing or harming anyone, whats una own sef?

And FYI, if that were to be my, daughter, cousin, sister, mother, or neighbour, i would say exactly the same thing! Cant be lecturing no adult on how to dress! Their body, their choice!!!! FREE WILL PEOPLE! FREE WILL!!!!!!!

34. baboushka

December 5, 2014 at 11:16 pm

But Africans were roaming around naked with just a loin cloth to cover their private parts before white people brought us cloth why are people surprised these girls are simply going back to their roots. FYI the traditional SA outfit involves bare breasts so those two SA celebs tried small to cover their breasts.

35. WWN

December 5, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Really looking forward to an awards show where the dress code will be clearly stated as: “Decent, Stylish, beautiful and Original AFRICAN attires…”
    I’m all for freedom of choice but some of these outfits na wa! Where brain and freedom are given, common sense is mandatory… We don copy, copy so much, we go soon begin wear fur coats and gloves for harmattan dry season 🙂

36. tunmi

December 6, 2014 at 2:16 am

See there is this tumble page I love, the Nigerian Nostalgia project. And I have been fortunate to come across one or two photos of our ancestors in which the men and women are clothed only around the waist. Now I have no objections to this photo. My own be say, was the place not cold/air-conditioned?

37. Just me

December 6, 2014 at 3:03 am

Oh my! They should have simply worn nothing because we can clearly see everything. Whatever rocks their boat.
    That lipstick is just wrong on that lady.

38. GMStyles

December 6, 2014 at 8:55 am

I don’t blame our celebrity,coping is very common if they’re just starting and moreover we have great designers here in Nigeria.Why not patronise dos ones must it be a foreign designers piece.Pls learn and stop disgracing ur industry.

39. Chris

December 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

and for those making reference to our fore fathers and their naked dresses, they dint have options like we do now and it’s your business if you wear bikini in your house, but if you dress naked, to an awards show, with cameras and g phones everywhere, to obviously get attention, you’ll get such in full dose. if South Africans dress half naked to a cultural event, it’s probably their culture and don’t make reference to such, especially if so called, ladies don’t make references to such cultural allegiance. This same free will nonsense is the reason why most young people are justifying casual sex and girls are overdosing on postinor in our society. my generation! my generation! free will shouldn’t become free wheel to free fall in standards in society…stop justifying wrong things. if it’s wrong, it’s wrong.

• cos I say so

December 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Abeg remove that half from the naked and we’ll get the full pic

40. Minnie mouse