Style

The Beauty in Detail! See Deola by Deola Sagoe’s S/S2015 Collection – “Wings by Deola” with Zainab Balogun & Tansey Sodeinde

Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015052

Remember the stunning collection showcase by Deola by Deola Sagoe in New York? We have the official lookbook images!

They first showcased the collection at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week (See Here) with her daughters’ fashion line – CLAN to a lot of great reviews by fashion critics and our ever fashionable BN Style Watchers. Now we get to see all the detail in the lookbook featuring Zainab Balogun and Tansey Sodeinde.

Deola drew inspiration from her daughter’s class project which entailed part artistic and part scientific, based on moths, flies and butterflies. According to Deola, “Developing my own fabrics is essential for me. Every time you do it, it’s fresh; the drawings, the process of making Adire, starting with indigo and then just making music with colour and patterns, “fabric jazz”.

I wanted to play with floaty fabrics this time. It was just my mood. Of course I’m still in the throws of my love affair with Aso Oke which is still a huge feature in this collection.

“Wings by Deola” consists of 37 pieces whose names were derived from the characters in Shakespeare’s plays such as, Ophelia (the helper), Valeria (strong, valiant) and Juno (protector). The collection for Spring/Summer 2015 features detailed cut-outs, sheer fabric inserts, plunging necklines and more tying into the origami-theme. We absolutely love the clean cut and detailed hemlines that give an almost unrealistic structure to the pieces.

See the collection in detail below;

Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015006 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015013 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015019 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015015 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015008 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015012 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015009 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015026 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015024 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015022 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015034 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015020 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015032 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015030 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015031 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015027 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015028 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015037 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015039 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015043 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015040 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015041 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015036 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015035 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015045 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015047 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015046 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015048 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015049 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015014 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015050 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015051 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015001 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015010 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015011 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015003 Deola by Deola Sagoe Wings by Deola Collection Lookbook - Bellanaija - May2015004

Photo Credit
Photography: Lakin Ogunbanwo (Instagram: @LakinOgunbanwo)
Hair & Makeup: Debola Falana (Instagram: @DFalanaArtistry)
Creative Director: Teni Sagoe (Instagram: @Clan_Diaries)
Models: Tansey Sodeinde (Instagram: @Tansey_Sodeinde) and Zainab Balogun (Instagram: @ZainabBalogn)
Set Design and Props: Sara O Events (Instagram: @SaraOEvents) and Aralia by Nature (Instagram: @AraliaByNature)
Shoes: Nell and Bell

1. Jolly

May 13, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Love it! This can stand next to any designer collection in the world.
    Proudly Nigerian!

• Ada Nnewi

May 14, 2015 at 10:48 am

All i kept thinking was “Bow down B**ches!*…Deola is the bestest!

2. bruno

May 13, 2015 at 5:32 pm

this is the hand work of a professional.

I think its high time we start separating the designers from the tailors in the nigerian fashion industry.

my only problem is the background. its distracting and its spoils the view of the clothes.
    a plain white background would have been lovely.

also next time pls use real models and don’t use tv personalities. the fashion industry and modelling industry go hand in hand. nigerian fashion industry and modelling industry need to help each other so they can grow. hiring ur friends who are tv personalities isnt doing the modelling industry any favours.

this is the first time I will ever give a nigerian designer 7 out of 10. kudos.

oya time for the ultimate jamb question- how much do they cost?

3. BlueEyed

May 13, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Good job, nice pieces. I see creative thinking and I’m sold!

4. Rosie

May 13, 2015 at 5:44 pm

weird

5. @edDREAMZ

May 13, 2015 at 5:47 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    They took the pic at a very close range so having a gud look at the dresses is kinder impossible… Poor photography though no doubt…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Delphine

May 15, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I guess the photos are close range so we can see the painstaking details in the outfits.

Love!

• Anonymous

May 15, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I notice you made negative comments on Linda Ikeji’s blog as well. Don’t know who you are but these comments probably explain why you’re alone in Jupiter, so you need to calm down with them.

6. Ayo

May 13, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Love it. Gorg!!!!

7. Choc

May 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

This is IT…. Well done Deola Sagoe
    Wish i could get most of them
    Its only the cost that wont be smiling

8. Lamide

May 13, 2015 at 6:38 pm

WoW!!!! i love them all!!

9. Oloye

May 13, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Zainab babe! Well, I will say this again – if I will ever marry a 9ja celebrity it has to be either Zainab Balogun or Gbemi O-O. Those are some simple and very beautiful babes. Aunty Gbemi has to jsut get ger gym flows right..xoxo

10. Seyi

May 13, 2015 at 7:01 pm

One word – Amazing!

more-than-one-love.blogspot.co.uk

11. Ife

May 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Beautiful designs. Love the last one worn by Zainab

12. TheGirlInTheBlueScarf

May 13, 2015 at 7:13 pm

One word…. WHIMSICAL

13. nene

May 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm

tansey coetzee is now a member of the sodeinde family? when?

14. hilda

May 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm

i likeeeeeeeeeee

15. Mizzy

May 13, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Dt red dress

16. Tosin

May 13, 2015 at 8:27 pm

o yes.
    o wow.

17. Chinco

May 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I have new found respect for zainab balogun, I think shes very mature and intelligent. These outfits are classy

18. Godwin

May 14, 2015 at 6:16 am

It is unbelievable that Nigerians can view this and deem it an awesome collection.One even insinuated that it can stand proudly beside any designer`s collection in the world.Really?Really,really?Ok,ngwa put this besides Tom Ford,Stella McCartney,Bottega Veneta (2016 resort) and then tell me how well it fares.All these sycophants are the bane of the Nigerian fashion industry.The tailoring here is at best laughable and she inculcate two many unnecessary difficult designs in her collection.All the cut outs must be stitched neatly and she doesnt have a team of machinists to do that so why not avoid them(cut outs) and keep the outfits simple,well tailored and fitted.

This is a monumental miss and coming from Deola Sagoe,it is quite depressing.

And oh,get of your key board if you don`t know much about quality in fashion.Dont be so proud to air you ignorance here.Na by force to comment?

• Seriously

May 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Sometimes, Nigerians also tend to be sycophants to western designers just bcos of the name and it’s oyibo people. I don’t see much difference between these and those dresses done by popular designers. Many of them have bad tailoring too but it’s easily overlooked because of the name brand. However, I believe she could have used a better photographer, who will capture it well.

• Blossom

May 14, 2015 at 8:43 pm

@Godwin, WTF are you talking about. I hope you don’t choke on your own bile because you truly sound bitter. What’s worse is that you’re trying to cover it up with your ‘in good faith’ speech. What difference have you made with your lousy a$$ 10 lines of negative text.

We don’t need to know who you are to see that you are a highly unaccomplished person with deep insecurities. No one who has worked hard and has seen good reward for it will talk like you’re doing. Who TF are the f*(*&ing names you have up there? If you knew the extent of brainwashing they have done to get you to think they are superior.

I just feel back because people like you will influence certain minds out there and what we need is certainly not naysayers who will discourage those who are truly working to make a difference.

People like you make me weep for our race.

To Deola Sagoe, I say well done! I personally love the collection and hope and pray I can afford many of your pieces someday.

19. Godwin

May 14, 2015 at 6:21 am

And the models,hair and make-up,photography?Lord almighty save my soul!How could Deola have sanctioned this quality of photos to get in the public domain in 2015?

• $exyD

May 14, 2015 at 9:50 am

Not just one thing is ok in this whole collection according to you abi?
      Pls, can you show us your own design…be it fashion, photography…any design whatsoever before you write off someone’s sleepless nights effort

• Godwin

May 14, 2015 at 11:03 am

Come on,chill.My criticism was done in good faith and not maliciously.Let us get sentiments out of the way;this doesn`t cut it on the international stage.Deola has been doing this for than a score of years so she ought have know.

20. lola Carey

May 14, 2015 at 6:43 am

@ Godwin where is ur own collection?how can u not see even one good thing about these designs?sure its not perfect but pls temper justice with mercy!

21. me

May 14, 2015 at 8:58 am

This is by far the worst collection by Deola….. Don’t get me wrong, I love the wing concept, but with Deola I often see perfection…. something definitely went wrong with this…. an icon should not be in the Same class as new designers

22. Peaches77

May 14, 2015 at 9:33 am

Compared to what you get in Nigeria, this is very good stitching!

• Godwin

May 14, 2015 at 10:59 am

Designers should be measured based on international standard and this would definitely not cut it on the international scene..There should only be one stand and it is the international standard.

23. zinnypearl

May 14, 2015 at 9:43 am

good job i must confess but the background is not good and the photographer dint allow me see the beauty of this wonderful work by cutting it half and half please next time let some be full as in full and then half if it must be

24. Ibinabo

May 14, 2015 at 9:52 am

I was just “wowing”away… i love everything.

25. www.thelmathinks.com

May 14, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I have to agree with Godwin on this one. Deola Sagoe is a master at what she does for sure but this is a flawed collection, especially the tailoring. I was surprised to read all the accolades in the comment section. The cut outs are quite disturbing, the photography is poor and the background is competing with the clothes for attention; distracting. At first glance the dresses look flawless but BN did title it “Beauty in Detail” and naturally when you hear/see “detail” you’re bound to take a closer look, scrutinize. I did scrutinize and then I started to fall out of love.

26. unknown

May 14, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Godwin, thank you very much. Nigerians can be such hypocrites. You’re very quick to bash up and coming designers and throw accolades at aunt Deola even if I don’t think there’s any difference. I see Maki oh has inspired the Adire trend.

• Blossom

May 16, 2015 at 12:41 am

Oh, I didn’t realise Maki Oh created and patented Adire. Wow.

*hisssssss*

27. Mlg

May 14, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Deola, well done. Your imagination is eons away. The colour schemes, the shapes, and the way you skillfully combine these silks with adire. All just so wow.

28. integrity

May 15, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I feel its odinary with the adire concepts. I wasnt too WOW. Not the usual Deola sagoe. It is because am seeing some new concepts and styles in other places.

29. Nike

May 18, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Dear people that don’t have an idea what they’re talking and too quick to make judgments, please do some research on what a fashion collection entails. This to me is one of the best I have seen from Deola so far, the pieces are cohesive, the background flows very nicely with the theme and pretty much makes sense being that her inspiration was butterflies and moths (look at the bigger picture) , the lighting is just the right amount, clean cuts and finishing. I love the fact that she decided to use the wings in different areas; the cut outs, in the prints, the neckline and also as a decorative detail (the law of repetition). I could go on and on; In my opinion this is a job well done,I am impressed.

30. Jane