Career

BN Features Presents: A Peek Into the Life Of… ‘Deyemi Okanlawon – Actor

BellaNaija.com

Yesterday, we made a call for BellaNaija readers to be a part of a new exciting feature, titled ‘A Peek Into The Life Of‘ which the Features Team has been working on. {Click here if you missed it} We’ve been very excited by the feedback we’ve received and we’re happy to introduce the first subject of our feature.

*ding ding ding*
We’re kicking off this series by peeking into the life of a Nigerian Actor. Are you ready to see what it is like in the life of Deyemi Okanlawon?

Here goes:
Adeyemi-Okanlanwon-2014-AMVCA-March-2014-BellaNaija-400x600Job title
Actor, global film industry.

What you do specifically?
I act in feature films, TV series and theatre

Core responsibilities
Portraying different fictional, sometimes non-fictional, characters

How long have you been at this job?
2 years full time. I started trying out in 2010.

Highlights of your job
THE MONEY! LOL, kidding…
I enjoy entertaining people
I get to live the lives of different characters
I get to meet the exceptionally creative people – filmmakers are amazing
People always be trying to give me stuff (I plead the 5th here)

Downsides of your job
I spend a lot of time away from home
Loooooooong hours on set – I  don’t know how anyone thinks acting is easy
People tend to confuse you with the characters you play

If you weren’t doing this, what would you be doing?
I’ll still be selling Baker’s World cupcakes

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade your skill set at this job?
20. Don’t believe me? Check out my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/deyemiokan

I’m living my career dream. Yes? No?
Yaaaaas! There’s still so much more I’ll love to do though.

318607_10150921836440319_665568974_nOkay, so let’s take a closer look now. Ready?

Typical Busy Work Day
5am – 7am: Wake up, family prayer, quick workout, jump into bathroom
7am – 9am: Off to location, breakfast, rehearse, get prepped
9am – 11am: Shoot scenes
11am – 1pm: Shoot scenes
1pm – 3pm: Lunch break, shoot scenes
3pm – 5pm: Shoot scenes
5pm – 7pm: Shoot scenes, dinner
7pm – 9pm: Shoot scenes
9pm – 11pm: Shoot scenes/Sleep
11pm – 1am: Shoot scenes/Sleep
1am – 3am: Shoot scenes/Sleep
(as you can see acting is not the easiest job in the world)
3am – 5am: Sleep

IMG-20150806-WA0020 IMG-20150819-WA0009

Typical Free Day
5am – 7am: Wake up, family prayer, read
7am – 9am: Sleep some more, do chores
9am – 11am: Head to gym, jump into bathroom
11am – 1pm: Breakfast, sleep
1pm – 3pm: Read/Lunch/meetings/do more chores
3pm – 5pm: Hang out/meetings
5pm – 7pm: Hang out/Dinner/Church on Wednesday
7pm – 9pm: Hang out/Time with bae
9pm – 11pm: Time with bae (R18)
11pm – 1am: Watch a Nollywood movie
1am – 5am: Sleep

***

We absolutely enjoyed that. Now you guys know actors are more than just people we see on the red carpet, posing or photos! Shooting scenes from 9am to 11pm? That is hectic! But ‘Deyemi seems to be enjoying and we love the enthusiasm that comes through from his words.

Thank you so much for being the first person on this series.

Guys, what are you waiting for? Click on the link in the introductory paragraph to find out how you can be a part of this series.

1. mockingbird

August 26, 2015 at 10:56 am

time with bae (R18) got me ROTFL..

2. Reetah

August 26, 2015 at 11:02 am

I love Deyemi!!! Too bad he’s married

3. Ephi

August 26, 2015 at 11:13 am

Good one.
    I recognize him from Gidi up – it’s the name Tokunboh that rings in my head not Deyemi, lol..

4. Edna

August 26, 2015 at 11:14 am

Hmmmmm na wa oooo quite a Boring idea I must say!! Don’t mean to be a kill joy!! The only thing interesting here is that I could almost feel his personality from it! Ala time with bae (r18) lool. Atoke emabinu no vez but ermmmmm I’m scratching my head already!! Maybe a grave digger should come and spice things up!! Now that would be interesting!!!

• Grace

August 26, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Perhaps a video showcasing their day might make it more interesting.

5. B

August 26, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Deyemi! Woot! Woot! repping C3! Weldone dear, we are proud of u!

6. mrs chidukane

August 26, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Time with bae,lmao! Nice idea but I feel it was a bit rushed.

7. nunulicious

August 26, 2015 at 1:40 pm

this guy is fine sha. all ebony and smooth.
    but was the discussion rushed? a bit more depth I think is necessary.

8. Adia

August 26, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I like this feature. But question, how are you sleeping and shooting at the same time Deyemi. Are you on set? Then you shoot and doze off for a while? *confused*

9. Lala

August 26, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I was quite touched by the questions from many lawyers on the path to go, especially the recent law school grads. I was called to bar in 2005 and before my call to bar, I knew the profession wasn’t for me. I never did litigation one day, so I gave my gown away two weeks after call to bar.

Here are some options if you feel trapped in law:
    1) HR- do a masters in human resource management. You don’t need to leave your current job, there are options. If you want a foreign masters and you dont have all the money, do it online, or do it via the Open University- which is also online I believe. There’s a lot of competition in life, so up your opportunities by getting your HR training from a foreign UNi- please, I am not looking down on our Universities, just stating how you can stay at the top of the pile.
    2) Write a professional exam to cross into some other disciplines- like marketing (there’s always work here- I think more than most other professions). The focus here is that, you don’t
    need to take on a full degree to change profession.

3) Think digital- this does not necessarily mean doing an IT course like web design and other programming languages (if you are good in it though, give it a try. I did html and Css easily, but javascript wasnt easy to understand). What I mean by digital here is, what can you do that offers employers today a digital edge. For example, if you chose to diversify into marketing, ensure you understand digital marketing, every business today, from banks to start ups, have digital teams I believe within their marketing departments. Understand social media marketing as well.
    4) Communication- In many organisations, this is a part of the marketing departments. However, communications can be corporate communications, not just communications with the aim of marketing.
    5) PR – more like communications. Lawyers write and we have our way with words, so, write a professional exam of some sort thats related to communications and marketing and get yourself started.
    6) Sales/Customer service/Account management/Relationship or Partnerships manager- these are all off shoots of sales. With sales, you are dealing with any customer, but with Account management, you have dedicated clients to manage.

7) the NIgerian police- I think lawyers have their place in the police force, plus, with lots of uneducated people in the force, you can rise reasonably well. Don’t look down on this- Buhari has asked that another 10, 000 officers be recruited, so watch out. As a lawyer, it’s not like you’ll be on the streets.

8)If you choose to practise, take it as a business not law. I did a land dispute pro-bono when I returned from studying abroad (I did the matter outside of court) and I won it, it took a whole year though. But after that, opportunities started pouring in- I stuck with property. I managed properties, rented out on behalf of owners, drafted deeds, etc. I then realised that, most matters that came to me had been given to a more senior lawyer, who took the money, but never did the work. If you wish, this is a lucrative area- just ensure you investigate all titles.

9) Business: just don’t do buying and selling. Look for a professional service. Like partner with private schools to bring special themed programmes to pupils. Cleaning services, certificate verification service, retail. Etc. I have done some of these, there’s cool money in there. The business you do is not about its poshness or otherwise but your bank balance and your concsience.

Finally, ensure your CV is stellar. Do you know the software used in sifting thousands of CV with key words, does your CV have the right key words to ensure you are not cut out? If you are going for a masters degree in the UK, please please, chose a red brick university and above.

If you need help with your letter of purpose for a masters degree admissions or your CV, I can help with 2 or 3 people’s this weekend.

Let no one despair, there’s hope.

10. mia

August 26, 2015 at 4:10 pm

@lala, i assume this comment was meant for mz SA’s post and not this.

• Lala

August 26, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Yes, but its the same post category. Any one needing the help, send your document to [email protected]

11. Anonymous

August 26, 2015 at 4:20 pm

E’ry night’s a weekend, e’ry day’s a Friday night. Jay Wayne Jenkins

12. Precious

August 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Very well noted Lala, tanx a mill.. Deyemi.. Happy to see u climbing.. Cheers and God bless.

13. Anonymous

August 30, 2015 at 5:40 pm

It’s a lovely idea but I am afraid it isn’t well executed. There is a similar (or the same) idea in Stylist Magazine – Work/Life – one day diary from morning latte to lights out. You should look it up.