Style

House of Deola presents Komole Kandids Series 2 | BellaNaija Style interviews The Designer

BellaNaija Style

AMAL X NIKOLINA Tropical rain forest green pelisse adorned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif. Dark candy apple red Nikolina fitted trousers and crop top.

AMAL X NIKOLINA
Tropical rain forest green pelisse adorned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif.
Dark candy apple red Nikolina fitted trousers and crop top.

The Komole Kandids Series 2 is every bit as breathtaking as the first series. Click here to see the delectable designs from House of Deola.

Over 12 years of research and development are ingrained into the Komole range (the original collection was launched in 2012), the result of which is a profoundly refreshing take on Aso-Oke and the look of the modern bride and wedding guest, especially in this second part of the series.

BellaNaija Style asks the award-winning virtuoso Deola Ade Ojo a few questions about her inspiration behind this second phase of the collection, her personal love for weddings, she also responds to some social media comments and critiques of her work.

Enjoy & be inspired!

***

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_1 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_3

BIBA X REWA Cherry blossom pink diaphanous crop-top with Komole Kandids Bubble motif. A-line, midi skirt adorned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif.

BIBA X REWA
Cherry blossom pink diaphanous crop-top with Komole Kandids Bubble motif.
A-line, midi skirt adorned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_5 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_6

SOPHIA Alice blue Aso-oke, A-line dress patterned with Komole Kandids Nectar motif.

SOPHIA
Alice blue Aso-oke, A-line dress patterned with Komole Kandids Nectar motif.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_8

ANA X NATALIA Hand bejewelled bodysuit with encrusted gems in Komole Kandids fractal motif. Sky blue and coral inlay MIDI skirt

ANA X NATALIA
Hand bejewelled bodysuit with encrusted gems in Komole Kandids fractal motif.
Sky blue and coral inlay MIDI skirt

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_10 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_11

NINA Sky blue short dress with coral inlay and belt.

NINA
Sky blue short dress with coral inlay and belt.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_12

LEILA Apricot and gold gilded Aso-oke dress patterned with Komole Kandids Forest motif.

LEILA

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_15

MALIA Dark tangerine Aso-oke dress, patterned with olive Komole Kandids Forest on Nectar motif.

MALIA

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_16

LOUISA Pistachio, daffodil and cherry blossom pink Aso-oke dress patterned with Komole Kandids Bubble motif.

LOUISA

BELLA X ROSA Pastel violet Aso-oke peplum jacket patterned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif. Apple green midi skirt with winged hem.

BELLA X ROSA
Pastel violet Aso-oke peplum jacket patterned with Komole Kandids Daisy motif.
Apple green midi skirt with winged hem.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_20 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_21

FARI X YASMIN Dark raspberry liquid metal corset. Floral A-line skirt.

FARI X YASMIN
Dark raspberry liquid metal corset.
Floral A-line skirt.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_24 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_23

CLAUDIA Alizarin floor length dress with detachable cherry blossom pink and alizarin side peplum.

CLAUDIA

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_26 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_27

TALLULAH. Aquamarine Aso-oke top and skirt patterned with Komole Kandids Fractal motif.

TALLULAH.
Aquamarine Aso-oke top and skirt patterned with Komole Kandids Fractal motif.

Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_29 Komole-Kandids-Series-2_House-of-Deola_Aso-Oke_Nigerian-Wedding_BellaNaija_30***
BellaNaija Style sat with Deola Ade Ojo for an exclusive chat about her latest collection.

BellaNaija Style: Komole Kandids Series 2 is very different from Series 1. Who is the woman this time and where is she when she’s in these Komole Kandids’ outfits?

Deola Ade Ojo: In Series 1, I was engaged with the classic beauty of the bride and the tradition of exchanging vows, and Series 2 takes over from there – “now that they are joined together, it’s time to party, dance and for the unwed in the crowd to mingle!”

Those who know me well know that I like to dance… I have always loved it when you see an impeccably dressed woman – I mean a lady who really knows fashion, and she’ll just drop her clutch on her table and Komole! You know, go down low! Isn’t it always a surprise when you see that!

BellaNaija Style: There has been a lot of interest in Nigerian weddings recently from all over the world, why do think that is?

Deola Ade Ojo: Well let’s face it; we give the best weddings in the world! Actually I think I should hash tag that “#BestWeddingsAnywhere!”… We just don’t play with this event in our lives. When I started the Komole Kandids collection I had one thought that I couldn’t get out of my head – “a normal Naija wedding is like a royal wedding anywhere else in the world!”.

Initially I though I was being a little biased but as I looked at it more I could see Naija weddings simply are unparalleled…

Look at what we have done with the pre-wedding shoot! I mean the storylines are so funny and romantic. The couples really become stars in that shoot. Then the traditional wedding gon gon… I mean the choreographed dance, especially when it’s the groom and his groomsmen, then the church wedding and then the reception!

BellaNaija Style: You must be very pleased with the response that you have received for the collection. Komole Kandids has been pretty much universally praised.

Yes, it’s been quite something. I think it’s also the new social media platforms spread things very far, so we have had responses from a few different countries… I think the last one they told me about was Germany, and I thought to myself… Wow, where is the German client intending to wear the outfit… Anyway it just goes back to something I have always believed and is the cornerstone of my brand: we can produce our own “100% African luxury export”.

BellaNaija Style: Speaking of connecting the world, social Media is great for gauging how people feel about things. Clearly the overwhelming responses have been positive. We have a few screen shots for you to respond to…

First off, BellaNaija comments!Komola Kandids Comment_6

Soup wey sweet, na money wey chop am! Well, our designs are high-end off course, and there is a lot of time, energy and expertise that goes into making each piece.  What I always say is call us or drop by the showroom and let’s see what it is you are looking for…Komola Kandids Comment_5

Haha! Another one that used ma in addressing me, that’s sweet. How could I be cool with plagiarism, I mean everyone likes a bargain, but I stay on the side of respecting the originators… off course I do, It’s my job! #If it’s not Deola! Komola Kandids Comment_3

Haha! Don’t you just love our people! She’s so cute she even added “ma”! Anyway “Bae,” my focus is always to please the wearer, to make them feel loved and elevated in spirit, so that might be something to do with it.Komola Kandids Comment_10

Wow! That’s cool “Obi Wan Nkwobi”; Komole Kandids’ fabric is the result of over 12 years of research and development into the making of our own lace made from our own fabrics of heritage… So much like Swiss, French or Italian lace Komole is our own haute couture fabric of heritage. We make them from the weaving stage, which is unique to us.Komola Kandids Comment_9

Haha! Neither were we by the public response… Bless!

***

Credits
Fabrics and Designs: House of Deola
Photography: Kelechi Amadi Obi
Models: Few Models | Beth Model Management
Hair: Ugo of Make Me
Makeup: Bimpe Onakoya
Shoes: Polo Avenue
Creative Direction & Styling: Teni Sagoe
Jewelry: Aanushkil Jewellery
Bags: Vintage bags from the late Elizabeth Wuraola Ojo’s closet

1. Anon

March 8, 2016 at 11:47 am

D.E.O.L.A! My jaw dropped.

I didn’t quite like the outfit Ego Boyo wore to the AMCVA. Then again, it’s Ego. LOL!!

• Shandi

March 8, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Your comment is very offensive. “Then again its Ego”; what’s that supposed to mean? She looked nice but it wasn’t too flattering because I feel its made for people who’re way smaller; like sizes 4 and 6. Doesn’t mean she didn’t look good. Some of you are so rude and you think its funny. Smh!

• Cabrini

March 8, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Wow! This collection is what I’ll call “Work of Art”! ….classy

• Jen

March 10, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Wow so Ego was wearing a N500k dress and she was wasn’t the best dressed. Na wa o. I doubt Mercy Aigbes dress cost up to N100k. And she broke Nigerian Internet with it!!! Nice collection but I’ll pass…..

2. hezekina pollutina

March 8, 2016 at 11:51 am

Maximum Respect!

3. tannie

March 8, 2016 at 11:55 am

Stunning, beautiful. This is refreshing to look at.

• O'Kel

March 8, 2016 at 1:43 pm

My word exactly. Refreshing.

4. Corolla

March 8, 2016 at 11:55 am

• eLayRee

March 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Thought you were going to mention this dress. Would look awesome on Kerry Washington…

Kerry aside, I have never loved any collection more. Its beautiful. Really.

5. Jamila

March 8, 2016 at 11:56 am

Breathtaking!!!!!!

6. Jamila

March 8, 2016 at 11:57 am

Breathtakingly beautiful!!!!!!!

• Telisia

March 20, 2017 at 4:16 pm

where can you purchase these dresses?.

7. Olofofo

March 8, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Nothing spectacular about the styles. Just the fabrics, ironing and stitching screams uh la la.

• Elizabeth

March 8, 2016 at 1:10 pm

You have made a fantastic comment. That has always been the key to fashion. The perfect fit to the body. Clean seam lines and heavenly cut pat terns. That’s what made the world wake up to chanel. Her pieces just glided on the body. Pattern cutting is 80% of the design process.

• onia

March 8, 2016 at 1:17 pm

What do you mean nothing spectacular?. This are well tailored style, the finishing is perfect unlike some designers with poor tailoring.

8. Anon

March 8, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Lovely!

9. lovedis

March 8, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Nice collections…luv dis

10. maamek

March 8, 2016 at 12:32 pm

omg!omg!omg! wearable pieces…well done!

11. G

March 8, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Do you guys really think these clothes are worth 500k?
    Genuinely asking. These are lovely clothes, but would I pay £1000 for them (at 400 exchange rate), would you?

• Erinma

March 8, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Keep in mind that the fabrics used are premium fabrics, self developed aso -eke lace, 100% satin/ silk etc. plus the tailoring. It’s definitely not targeted at everyone. Those who can afford it, will buy it. £1000 is kind of standard for high end luxury pieces, some labels even have more expensive items. The pieces are timeless, you’ll have them forever (if taken care of properly) and it will always be in style. I can see her clothes becoming ‘vintage’ sef. So yes, they are worth it, but not everyone will/ can afford. It really all depends on how you view clothes really.

• nne

March 9, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I wince whenever i hear people talking about the prices of African designer clothes. Do we really have local tailors that can create such intricate pieces with this kind of attention to detail? That can cut clothing like this and finish it so well? These designs are breathtaking and i cant wait for the world to start celebrating DEOLA as we celebrate Armani et al.

12. Tobi

March 8, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Jaw dropping

13. Lagos Girl

March 8, 2016 at 1:34 pm

See finishing! Madam Deola, abeg na robot dey make these clothes? the fabrics are amazinggg!!!! But we gast comot eyes sha, its not meant for the minorities like me… *sob*sob* Make I go front go find where my size dey mbok!

• Drew

March 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Watched a TV feature about her yesterday and her workshop were full of Asian tailors. Not surprising her finishing is this good as most Asians are perfectionist. Was wondering if she hires them in Nigeria or they are expats.

• O

March 8, 2016 at 3:44 pm

My thoughts exactly, the finishing, my goodness. The plainest designs shine with perfect finishing, while an intricate design falls flat if the finishing is off.

14. prince

March 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I’m a dude, but damn it, I love everything. awesome, stunning, fabulous, chic and classy. I doff my hat for the brains behind all these.
    W E L L D O N E ! ! !

15. Bussy

March 8, 2016 at 1:49 pm

These pieces are incredibly pretty. God bless you Deola. You are proof that with focus and determination and not following another’s dream, success is inevitable. I must buy one Deola’s pieces in 2024 for my 50th…lol!

16. fleur

March 8, 2016 at 2:09 pm

So, I read the 12 years of research and wanted to post a weird comment but then I saw the designs unfold before my eyes and thought “such artistry!!!” It is artwork to behold. But it cannot be #500k. That means you will sell 10 pieces and your 10 years of research (multiply all the hours in the 12 years by a rate you would charge per hour) goes to waste. SO here is what you need to think about before the copy cats get you and you bet they are already through their first prototype by now. Get your brand out there by creating commercial pieces that retail at a price the average Nigerian wont balk at. Just “Balmain your stuff” – get the gist? Balmain broke the bank last year by mainstreaming their high end designs. You can still get the thousand dollar pieces but they recognized the power of 10 million $100 sales to 500 $1000 sales. Don’t let the Aba folks take your twelve years of research from you because of Ojuaye. See the forest from the trees.

17. fleur

March 8, 2016 at 2:11 pm

“but they recognized the power of 10 million $100 sales relative to …..” Correction

18. Ij

March 8, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I’m floored…. the outfits are stunnning. #projecttailormade #nigerianmade

19. Salama Afro ladies Salon Dubai

March 8, 2016 at 2:44 pm

One word – EXQUISITE!

20. Drew

March 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Now I’ve got to learn more about this laser cutting to be able to ‘uniquenize’ my fabrics for my pieces too. Beautiful stuff.

21. Okechukwu Ofili

March 8, 2016 at 2:57 pm

That’s what I call MAGIC! Beautiful!

22. Fabulous B

March 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm

jexxus! I just fainted and came back. This is fashion heaven. Please, take me to this dreamland. My whole vision system couldn’t process all this. I could droll over all for a decade. I need to be your client, ma. Infact, your student is that I really need to be.

23. O

March 8, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Immaculate finishing. Well done to Deola and her team. Now which one I wan copy?

24. ojuolape

March 8, 2016 at 4:13 pm

This is just too much. WOW
    I want every single piece.
    Pure perfection.

25. Mrs Haastrup

March 8, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Speechless and am flipping loving it. Now this how it is done,to the so called wannabes Fashion designers in Nigeria.

• person

March 8, 2016 at 5:59 pm

AS IN!! tell them. OMD. This is how is done!!!!!!!

26. Tincan

March 8, 2016 at 6:24 pm

How did I miss this? Wow! Just wow! Let me go have another scroll.

27. DEOLA

March 8, 2016 at 9:55 pm

DEOLA is in a world of her own abeg! far from those biz copy cats with access to money that call themselves creative this and that. Too much for Nigeria. PURE CLASS! I could wear her consistently for her originality and perfect finishing.

28. Es

March 8, 2016 at 11:42 pm

So the bags alone are from the vintage collection of someone who has passed??? I met Deola once in Accra having lunch with her daughters. I know it was rude of me to interrupt but I just had to touch this woman who takes perfection to THE HIGHEST EXTREMES! She dots EVERY single i and crosses every T! No detail left unattended. It makes you want to do the same for your self, your life, your business. This is impeccable. Thank you for such remarkable work, Ma.

29. Idowu Okunlola

March 9, 2016 at 8:44 am

Breath taking. Got my heart seriously beating.

30. jaygirl

March 9, 2016 at 8:54 am

love!love!love!…these pieces are GORG!!! let me start saving, been dreaming of owning a DEOLA piece…a girl is allowed to indulge once in a while, right!

31. quietconfidence

March 9, 2016 at 11:11 am

Wow!!! This collection is quite impressive. Deola has definitely raised the bar. Every piece in this collection is wearable. The Claudia, the Amal X Nicolina and the Bella X Rosa (with a full length skirt) are all AMVCA worthy. Great job Deola.

32. jaygirl

March 9, 2016 at 11:31 am

love! love!! love!!! These designs are GORGE!!! Let me start saving for the BELLA X ROSA piece…even if its only d peplum jacket. lol! A girl is allowed to indulge once in a while…right!

33. Cynthia Carter

March 9, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I have never seen such beautiful clothing! I love this website.

34. Tosin

March 10, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I love the interaction thingie. Respect. OGQC 😉

35. missjones

March 15, 2016 at 2:49 am

Nna enh! My eyes started watering mdway through the photos. These dresses are divine!!!

36. Funmi

March 22, 2016 at 6:40 pm

See my roomie! Bankizze I see you. More grease to your elbow

37. Bennie

April 19, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Lovely, very very nice!!!Well done

38. Patricia Kayden

May 17, 2016 at 12:23 am

These designs are so unbelievably gorgeous. Love the vivid colors and styling.

39. Clara P.

March 23, 2017 at 11:23 pm

I LOVE your designs, they are GORGEOUS the fit look good. Vevry artistic, good use of colors, WELL DONE. I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP FOR YOUR NEXT COLLECTION.