Career

Aunty Bella: Mummy My Daughter wants to move to Nigeria for Music

BellaNaija.com

dreamstime music young lady

BellaNaija,

I am a BN Mummy as I am in my early 50s.

My family relocated to the United States of America in the 90s and all our children were raised here.
The issue I am facing is that my daughter wants to move back to Nigeria to pursue a music career.

She just graduated from one of the top Liberal Arts Colleges in the US, on the West Coast. She got an offer from one of the top consulting firms and accepted to resume in September. We live in New Jersey and her new job is in New York. My husband, I and her siblings are so excited as she is our first born and we were happy, not only about the job but also about her moving to be closer to home. We even did a thanksgiving service in the church.

She has always been singing in the church since she was a young child. We know she has the talent. She held leadership positions in the church choir and continued singing in various capacities all through university.
Now she has opened up to me that her mind has not been at rest because she believes that she has an opportunity to be a star musician and this is her last chance to try it out before she is too old.
She insisted she wants to try her career in Nigeria because the US is oversaturated.

My daughter and I are very close so I was happy that she opened up but since then I have tried to convince her to try the career in New York part-time while working on her job.

She said no.

My husband and I listen to Nigerian music, mainly old school but we enjoy Tiwa Savage songs too. My daughter also introduced us to other musicians like Banky W, Davido and Falz who she said moved back to Nigeria and have attained success.

She said she has already been exchanging messages with Nigerian record labels online and she is insisting on moving for at least 1 year to try her luck. I asked her to just go for the summer but she said NO. That she must commit fully for her to have a proper chance.

We are really confused because she is about to request for her offer to be deferred but if the company does not permit, she said she doesn’t mind if they cancel the offer.

If she moves to Nigeria, she will stay with my sister in Lagos but you know how living with people is, I am just so worried.

I told her I am sending the story to BellaNaija and she said ok but she has already started making plans including ticket.

As I said, My husband and I love Nigerian music so it is not as if we are so closed minded. Nigerian music is one of the things that helped us retain our Nigerian heritage with our children in the US. They all speak Yoruba and also my native language but I am so scared about our daughter going to live in Nigeria away from us, not to mention all the vices of the music industry.
Remember, this is someone who was raised in the US and has not lived in Nigeria before. The stories I am hearing are very frightening.

CreditDarrinhenry | Dreamstime.com

1. jules

July 20, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I believe she’s an adult. How well was she brought up? Good I guess. U don’t have any reasons to worry. If she has a gud head on her shoulders n gud in her craft, she’ll make it.

2. tunmi

July 20, 2016 at 1:13 pm

It’s a year. Let here try it. Be supportive and keep in communication

3. Moyo

July 20, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Well, there is a time when mothers have to let go of the apron strings. Please advise her properly and if she insists, you have to let her go. Speak with your sister and let her know that you are relying on her to protect and guide your daughter. we live in Lagos and I don’t think it is more dangerous than living in New York. Your daughter also needs to be prayerful, wise and street smart to know when she is likely to be in danger. She should let everyone know her whereabouts all the time and be cautious being alone with men. She needs pepper spray and a Taser in case things get awkward. Continue to pray for her, I wish your daughter all the best.. I will feel the same way if my children had to go abroad too without my being there. Good luck

• Chi

July 20, 2016 at 4:45 pm

I agree with the pepper spray and taser. Mos def

• Anonymous

July 20, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Pepper spray and taser bawo. Please Nigeria is not New York abeg. If she has the talent, she just needs the right connections and branding and voila, you have a star.

4. i love my husband

July 20, 2016 at 1:16 pm

mummy, I can feel your worry, im a mother of 2 little ones and I know how much I can worry over them, every mother wants to be sure their children are making the right decisions l. however, unfortunately or fortunately, there is so much we can do especially when your child is an adult, you cant force her, you can only advice her that is showing her the likely pros and cons of her decision, and pray for her. If she insists she wants to try out music in naija for a year, let her, sometimes you need to let the bird out for it to learn how to fly, so let her, things will not be so easy for her cos like you said she will be living with someone and I know how that can be plus she will have to hussle in lagos to face the competition…but its best she wears the shoe and decide if she wants to continue wearing it…after 1 year, we will tell..the hussle is real in lagos o so your daughter should prepare for it.

5. Abi

July 20, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Aww! Your worries are valid but I’ll advise you let her try. Who knows, she might be the next big thing in the Nigerian music industry. There is no harm in trying. However, if after a few years, nothing is forthcoming, maybe that’s not her calling. You should also pray about it and ask her to do the same. All the best!

6. Majestic

July 20, 2016 at 1:26 pm

First of all, times are hard in Nigeria, I don’t know if this is a good time to move back. But you’ve made it very obvious that your daughter really wants to come to Nigeria to start up her career, I don’t know the type of standard she’s going for, but she needs money, a lot of it, to start up and also get noticed as the industry is pretty competitive right now.
    Perhaps, that 1 year trial won’t be so bad, because she won’t rest until she at least tries first. Let her see for herself firsthand what the industry is like…Your daughter will be fine, Nigeria is not that dangerous you know, just let her come and if things are so bad, she’ll be on the next available flight to NJ..

7. T

July 20, 2016 at 1:30 pm

In 2011…I graduated from undergrad in a school on the east coast and then bought a ticket to Nigeria without my parents really understanding. It was a great experience and I never regretted it…it even brought me my now husband,…..

But here is the thing, from someone who has grown up in the US and is currently in the midst of Nigerian daily struggles…I would tell your daughter to hold on tight there…work for a little bit in the U.S, save up a lot …i mean a lot before coming here… also she can visit on breaks and maybe book one or two gigs before she makes a permanent move. This is a tough country and she might be that next big thing if she comes here…but it’s important she be able to stand on her own…and its going to be hard if she just comes here on a whim..

• "changing moniker"

July 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

your comment is the truth….

• shield

August 22, 2016 at 8:34 am

Best comment here. Let her work a bit and save up because she will be making so many expenses moving back, renting and furnishing an apartment, setting up meetings, doing gigs for free so as to become known first and so much more. The music industry in Nigeria is NOT cheap especially if she wants to rely on herself and her talent alone without any sugar daddy’s help.
      P.S – Why can’t she try out for the Voice US or other such talent shows? If she gets close to quarter/semi-finals, she’ll be popular there and can leverage on that when coming to Nigeria.

• tnature

August 25, 2016 at 5:53 pm

You are so spot on!

8. Somto

July 20, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I understand your concerns as a Parent, Nigeria can be over whelming most especially for someone that was not raised here. She will have the culture shock to deal with, she will have the Naija factor to contend with cos she will expect things to be done in a structural manner but we don’t. She will deal with Fake friends, backstabbers, opportunistic producers, managers, randy studio and record label owners etc and the killer is not having true friends to share her problems with and then the emotional turmoil, depression, sleepless,nights and home sickness.
    She will probably come back to America on her own accord cos extended family support system in this country don’t have time to baby nobody as we are all trying to support ourselves financially and emotionally to carry another person wahala, while you enjoy the comfort Yankee is offering you. My advice, let her come and experience the life for herself. Naija is no bed of roses that those online record label managers are promising her now, all that glitters is not gold. Her mind is made up and neither you nor your Husband can change her mind. She has to learn and make her own mistakes. GoodLuck.

9. Mara

July 20, 2016 at 1:33 pm

First of all BN Mummy, well done for raising your kids to be close to you and to open up to you about their hopes and dreams. Also well done for raising them to speak Yoruba and to feel a connection to home and their Nigerian identity. It’s truly a wonderful thing you’ve done as a mother, even if you are now worrying as a result of your daughter seeking to connect even more to that identity by returning home. Your concerns are very real – things are hard here in Nigeria (especially at the moment) and I would never encourage anyone to move back without a solid plan. As your daughter said, some people have come home and succeeded, but the reverse is also true… we just never get to hear the stories that don’t work out.

I think your suggestion to your daughter to come for summer and try things out first is a really good and reasonable one. I wish she would do that, especially as it’s more likely the consulting firm will agree to defer her offer for the summer (but maybe not for a whole year). Good job offers are so hard to find! But if she adamantly refuses and insists on coming for at least a year, she’s an adult but if she wants to make this adult decision, please make sure she is ready for the adult consequences, ready to put her head down and be focused …and equally ready to admit the truth to herself and go back if it doesn’t work out. The entertainment industry is tough everywhere and Naija is no exception, a lot of talented people don’t make it, and a lot of people that do make it have had to do some ‘tinzzz’ to get there… so she will need to have a strong sense of self, determination and also contacts in the industry – genuine and reputable ones oh, not the ones that will encourage her to come, only to let her down after she arrives. Check that the labels she’s been exchanging emails with are actually established and respected, not backyard or dodgy ones that may try to exploit her.

A good support system will also help, so it’s great that your sister is here to look out for her. How is your relationship with your sister? As you said, staying with people usually has ‘comma’, so there needs to be a healthy level of trust and respect on both sides. She should be someone that you and your daughter can rely on. All said and done, your daughter seems to have made up her mind, but she needs to know that it’s not going to be easy… it wasn’t easy for Tiwa, and if Banky W tells you about his early experiences when he came home…. hmm!! Well, not to scare you (as I’m sure you’re worried enough already), but please make her understand that it’s hard out here. I wish her all the best.

10. DatEnuguChic

July 20, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Dear Mummy, your concerns are real and sometimes young people may feel their parents are so over protective but hey some may say experience is the best teacher. Let your daughter know that the music industry here is also saturated and trust me musicians in cities like Enugu, Jos, Kaduna,Abuja, Kogi, Owerri, Calabar etc are also trying to break into the music industry in lagos. Its tough here people come to Lagos and end up sleeping from one studio to another they call them studio rats.There are good producers in Naija like Don Jazzy, Cobhams and the likes, let her send Demos of her songs to them and hear the feedbacks from them and also check out what genre she might want to delve into. We are into dancehall in Nigeria lately AKA Commercial Music, all beat and little lyrics as they tend to sell out fast. If she considers Soul/R&B she should find a way to reach out to people like Bez, Praiz, Darey ,Cobhams, Aramide and Co. to find out how to navigate that path. If she’s into Gospel, let her find her way into the big Pentecostal churches in Nigeria cos they help their musicians alot thats if you are good. If Reggae reach out to patoranking. So she should reason it out. She must have a tough skin and be ready to be shocked cos, Guys aint smiling in Naija oooo. Wish you the best

11. linda

July 20, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Sha let her know that:
    1) It will be HARD for her to blow. There are sooooo many Nigerian girls that can sing, so many that cant sing, so many with American accents, and so many with fake American accents. She shouldnt expect to stand out and if she does, she should keep pushing and work harder
    2) BEG HER to be careful of fake lagos life. Married men and even some women are on the prowl, looking for whose life to destroy with their $5, 000. She’s an easy target as she’s ‘foreign’ plus not as street smart or aware.
    I wish you all the best. And tell her she can ALWAYS come home, and that while you’re rooting for her, she shouldnt tag herself a failure if it doesnt work out. Our biggest nigerian artistes and actors aren’t even the most talented, so it’s neither talent nor hardwork that ensures anything, but God, wisdom, and a lot of luck

12. mama Saffron

July 20, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Okay, this will be long, but i hope it helps. She has an American accent and is a proper Americannah, that’s like skipping primary and secondary school and going straight to university. Her spec are the kind that they are looking for in the nigerian music industry, so she has that going for her for one.

Number two Ma, she is raised American, that environment makes you almost fearless. You can do anything, be anything, the american dream and all that jazz, so there’s nothing you can say or do. Americanah’s are like that. We Nigerians are raised to be fearful, look before you leap, hold unto what you have first before stretching your hand out to the next level. That is why our growth as a country is stagnant. We don’t chase after anything, except to become the next politician to steal money. We haven’t made advancements in anything really tangible,except oyinbo man comes to help us start, so be grateful Ma that you didn’t raise a Nigerian. She’s brave, and fearless and wants to pursue her dream, let her do it.

Even if the job can’t be deferred, i still say let her do it. Being brave and fearless comes with consequences, both good and bad, and this is her time to learn, make mistakes and grow. She’ll become the better adult for it. Just make sure she doesn’t enter nigeria naive, otherwise the music industry will chew her and spit her out. Nigerian music producers don’t play. A lot of sexual favours are involved, Cough cough, i won’t mention names.. It’s an open secret, so let her know what she is in for. All that American doe and wide eyed view of the world where everything should be done right, and your talent should speak for you, doesn’t really work here. Even Hollywood has stories of sexual favours for roles, so if she thinks talent alone will get her deals, she has another thing coming. She also needs to be prepared to be sexualised and she should make up her mind now if that’s what she wants, because they will try to force it down her throat. She can either be a Beyonce or an Adele, or a Tiwa or Omawunmi, not both.

So, she should be prepared to fight to protect her integrity. Rape is also rampant in the music industry but women don’t speak up. Not to scare you or anything but she needs to know. It happens in America too o, so this isn’t a slight on nigeria, but this girl needs a crash course in Nigerian street smarts and you have to throw the proverbial cold water on her face, because she comes across from your write up as very idealistic. Typical child raised in America. The world looks like sunshine and roses, Going to a music producers house alone, she shouldn’t try it. All that lets meet in a hotel and hang out, don’t do it alone. I’ll drive you to one producers one thing one thing. Drive fire!!!!. Hours in studios by herself, no way. I suggest you get her a car and hire a driver who is going to serve as part bodyguard, part responsible for her when she is out and about and let her know that this isn’t up for negotiation. All that i’m a big girl, i’m an adult, I don’t care if she is 22 or 23, for someone who has never lived in nigeria before, she might as well be a 5 year old, so protect her, like you would a child. The streets are harsh out there and your sister can’t do much. Pay this driver very well, above normal rate, ensure he checks in with you regularly, even if you have to buy him credit and call him regularly too. Let him come highly recommended, preferably an older man with children who must have been in someone’s employ for years and can be trusted.. People will be out to take advantage of her naivety, so she isn’t used, get her a manager, preferably female. That’s two people responsible for her, outside your sister. Two people who are getting paid to do it. Two people that will always be seen with her, and can be held accountable, and should a randy producer or “agent” want to try rubbish, he’ll think about it twice.
    A lot can go right in a year, a lot can also go wrong in a year, and you don’t want your seemingly perfect child coming back damaged or used. Nigeria isn’t child’s play. Even people who have worked for years who move back still struggle, not to talk of someone who is basically still a bay. This one year can either make or mar her, so ensure she is well taken care of and prepared.

• Meah

July 20, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Nobody in Nigeria is looking for Americannah in the naija music industry
      Just had to correct you
      Why are we looking for them??
      You are funny

• whocares

July 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

#streettitakeover. loooool.
      I am of two minds about it: she is young let her do it, but yes with eyes wide open. I think it depends on her personality, you cannot want a career in that field and be doing ajebutter.. she has to be down to earth and know what she is in for.. Besides, you dont want her to grow up thinking what might have been and how you stopped her from chasing her star. People have a way of regretting random things in their old age.
      Hopefully the job postpones, if not, it still doesn’t disrupt her cv or career growth in another field. Companies nowadays are less uptight about their staffs. The more you do outside of your job “extra curricular” wise, the better.

• Weezy

July 20, 2016 at 6:14 pm

I agree with your comment except for the part to hire a driver and buy a car for her.

If the daughter wants to come to Nigeria and make it big, she needs to start from the bottom. By buying a car o driver, the M other is enabling her unrealistic mindset.

Mummy,. Let her go. Give her nothing except an open round trip ticket she can use to come back. Do not buy her a car . Save that money for your retirement.

• Tosin

July 21, 2016 at 5:33 am

ticket for what? anyway sha, i’m on the extreme. not into spoonfeeding people, stand on your own two feet ni o. no be only car, na bulletproof vest.

13. hezekina pollutina

July 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm

i think its interesting that she does not want to get any experience with her music abroad. why the rush? cant she begin developing her work and putting it online first? she should be gigging in the States and getting experience. If she wants to be down with Naija scene, she should produce songs and perform at Nigerian Diaspora events, opening up for Naija acts. Then she can build her reputation. I also advise her to start building up her music skills besides singing like songwriting and play an instrument or produce. If she is good the music will talk for itself and those people will be inviting her. But anyway, some people will only learn from experience and mistakes so good luck to her.

• AHausaChickInToronto

July 20, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Your comment is the most reasonable so far, I hope the mother reads this and listens to you… When I was about 17, I desperately wanted to be a model, I went to this “model scouters” office (house), he was telling me about the modelling levels, as in if I am a virgin I cannot be on the higher level of top models, hmmmm he now asked me if I knew what pu$€y was, I just carried my 17 year old self and ran away. I spent so much money on my portfolio and shoots as in it was ridiculous, I would starve because I didn’t want to get “Fat” (I was like a size -2 lool), the stories are too much for me to tell. Luckily for me I was also very good with my books, I love my 9-5 profession today and I am very glad that God saved me from the claws of these entertainment predators.

I know your daughter is older than the age I was but I would advice she continues with this job offer (in New York for that matter) and does her music on the weekends, there are a lot of Nigerians in America (because she is closer to her nuclear family, it is safer)… She can perform at Nigerian shows, some of these musicians, producers and managers are approachable, she should make good friendships with them, if her talent resonates with anyone of them, who knows she might be the next tiwa, if that is what God ordained for her.

• hezekina pollutina

July 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm

hello, the modeling world is a whole other can of worms because thats where women are nothing but commodities. its very hard to make it. too bad about your experience.
      back to music: as someone who has witnessed hot music “eras” come and go, i have to say that a lot of diaspora people will be imagining things and want to jump on the bandwagon of naija music scene momentum not knowing that the hot time does not always last. so this hotness too shall float or cool down at some point too. thats life. so the reason as to why she wants to come here would only be urgent in the case that she wants to “ride this wave.” when in fact if someone is committed to their craft, well, you would need to take time to learn about it namely music composition, playing and song writing. there is no better place than US to learn all those things, while gigging around, performing in bands and learning “your chops” and still hold down a job to pay the bills. while she is young and got no kids or something this would be the perfect time. that would be an asset when bartering to come down here because you would stand out from the crowd as someone who has skills and you would have confidence and not have to compromise yourself. but i can just imagine she is in a rush and wants to “bumrush” the show too! and I understand that passion and drive.

• Tosin

July 21, 2016 at 5:27 am

God bless you o, hez_pollah. everybody wants to hustle to be a pop star with junk product. you could actually be a musician instead…

14. mama Saffron

July 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm

…..in conclusion, open to letter to Saffron. You are not old enough to read this, but don’t you dare try this with me in the future. If i have to report you to the US government to put you on a no fly list, best believe i would. Loooool. All these children won’t just give one high BP. You go through hell bringing them to the world and they’ll grow up and want to kill you with worry. hahahaha

15. sam

July 20, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I am in the same predicament (not planning on becoming a musician). My advice would be she should take the job especially if it pays well,then use the proceeds of her job to record and maybe shoot videos. She can start from America to horn your craft and sound while promoting her songs on the internet using websites like notjustok.com and gidilounge radio. While doing that also making contacts in the Nigerian music industry. There is this guy called Osagie Alone. She can dm him on instagram @osagz. He is well versed in the industry and he will give her a birds eye view of the industry. If she still says no then let her follow her mind . Sometimes pressure and motivation works rather than the safe route. Good luck and God bless.

16. Ajala & Foodie

July 20, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I am not certain that anything we write will change your daugther’s mind. While yes, the American culture encourages bravery and reaching for your dreams. Doing so without any thought process will be to one’s detriment anywhere. I have a friend who I went to college with who was bent on joining a ministry, she claimed that was what she was called to do but her mum insisted she get a year of work experience. She did, out of respect to her mum, Today, she is thankful she had that one year experience, she now works in the movie industry with her husband. Ministry did not pan out like she assumed it would.
    We all know years of experience is very important, in many cases, more so than education even in the US. Even one with years of experience that has a gap has to always explain the gap not to mention someone who drops everything right after completing her education to pursue a dream. While I applaud her determination and bravery, I really wish she will take your advice and get a little bit of experience before making the move to Nigeria. Should things not work out then transitioning back to corporate America will not be too difficult. It however, sounds like her mind is made up and sometimes we just have to let our kids fly, and understand that they may soar (which is always our prayer) and sometimes they will crash and if that is the case we can only hope they learn from the experience. I wish you both the very best.

17. King Olulu

July 20, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Deep calleth unto deep,

The heart knows, the head rationalizes.

Let her start by applying for one or two of this music talent, that will build a bit of history/ reputation for her. If she is outstanding, she will naturally catch the eye of good producers/ managers, who might help her career. The music show might lessen the need to hustle for shows to perform, having to perform for free and the likes, cos when you are an unknown musician, people rarely give you an opportunity. But first of all, commit all things in prayer, and ask for a sign, after that, let things proceed as lead.

18. slice

July 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Mama just pray the job agrees to postpone for a year. If they do, then bless her and let her go. But send plenty gifts and money to your sis o. You’ve read how people here be saying visitors don’t contribute or help etc

19. Liz

July 20, 2016 at 3:44 pm

It’s good you both agreed to bring it here, and I do believe she will seriously consider the advice given especially as those who have already commented have so politely painted a realistic picture of life in Lagos entertainment industry. Let me ask this. Has she tried YouTube already? Recording and showcasing her music albeit with less-than-professional resources will enable her gauge the acceptability/likability of her sounds. Many who achieved success today started with YouTube. She can use these budding entertainment sites including BN to reach her intended Nigerian audience. If her music is or is not what Nigerian youths want it can be quickly evident. Relocation is a huge step that should be taken in stages. Many youths who sing believe they are God’s gift to the world but the reality of what people want to listen to can be like a deep stab.
    As already pointed out by others she needs loads of money to make it in that industry. Let her accept that job and save every Dime she can while building her career online, during which time she can visit Nigeria occasionally. Then when she is ready for it she can take that leap of faith.

20. Lil' Miss

July 20, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I’m actually a radio broadcaster here in Lagos and trust me, your fears are valid. But she’s an adult, in as much as she’s still your baby. Kindly let her understand the following:

– The Nigerian music industry is very sexist. It’s easier for men to have anthems than women.
    – Producers, record label execs will proposition sex. Oh and some OAPs too.
    – It’s a costly and risky venture. But highly lucrative if she eventually ‘blows’.
    – Ask if she’s doing gospel or secular. The latter is more stressful.
    – The industry is not about oh I’ve been singing in the choir,we hardly appreciate vocals down here.
    – Once again, you’ll have to spend lots of money – it’s a crazy venture.
    – There are cabals/cartels. That’s all I’m going to say.
    – Nigerian music consumers are not nice. The bad comments might get to her – tell her to grow a tough skin.
    – She can do it, don’t discourage her. But i would advice she works for at least 2years before relocating.
    – Every industry has its challenges so the music industry’s isn’t unique – she’ll be fine.
    -In the meantime, let her start from there, record songs, there are great producers over there or she could email producers here and work out something. (DTunes, Masterkraft, Puffy Tee, DJ Coublon and Cobhams are very good with beginners. I specifically mentioned these names cos she’s just starting and they would take their time with her).

Please, if she won’t mind, can you have her send me a mail via [email protected]?

All the best Madam.
    (Sorry about the typos, I’m actually at work)

• Mr. Egghead

July 20, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Lil’ Miss, you really seem to know a lot
      I’d love it if you could write something on the inner workings of the music industry; the dirty underbelly we don’t get to see.
      I’m sure BN will publish
      Gracias

21. "changing moniker"

July 20, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I wish your daughter the best mummy, but i believe like others have said that she should start in the US first. Tiwa Savage started singing in the US before moving here. it is rumored that she was a backup for Beyonce.
    Your daughter needs to put her music on YouTube, perform at concerts or events where Nigerians attend in the US before moving back here.
    There’s no point rushing here …..
    I hope she reads these advice for herself. They are all made by Nigerians.

22. A203 Music Management

July 20, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Tell you daughter to send her songs/demos to [ booka203 @ gmail . com ] . I am an experienced/successful Talent manager in Nigeria. From hearing her sound ill be able to give my advice on her chances of being successful in Nigeria. .

23. Chi

July 20, 2016 at 4:52 pm

It sounds like she needs to see the rot and hippocracy in the system for herself before she will agree that Naija music industry is all smoke and mirrors.

My prayer for her is that she will return safe and in one piece. Hopefully she will not need a whole year before she realises this. Her parents love her more than anything Naija can offer her.

I just pray she returns in one piece

24. Obi

July 20, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Let your child make songs and send to Bella Naija for us to download and rate. Share short videos of her singing on Instagram and twitter. Try to get the attention of top dawgs like don jazzy, Olamide, Timaya, Yemi Alade, Tiwa et al. Cos i can sing doesn’t translate to ”i go blow” in this country so she should better be exceptional to an extent. I would say take up the job and sing part time, gain some traction and come and own the industry when you have some audience. Cheers!

25. Tosin

July 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Your daughter and you are very close – you’re lucky. Me I’d have just done what I wanted to do cos it is sorta tiring all the opinions and stress.
    No advice for you.
    Just:
    Listen to her, pray for her, try to be supportive of whatever she chooses, and suggest she work in the US for a little bit first. SUGGEST, i.e. she’s of course free to ignore your suggestion. Oh does she have money and/or concrete plans all that, or is this a stylish way of … never mind. Nigeria is in a recession o. I know the economists are still waiting to sight the moon but take it from me. 😀

26. Las

July 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

How the tides have turned/are turning. Artists are now moving to Lagos to make it in the music industry. Wow, we have really come a long way. Back in the 80’s a lot of people moved to the US to further their music careers; so impressed that we have come thus far.

Mummy future Tiwa Savage – You mentioned your sister lives in Lagos, let her stay there if you trust your sister. Also, give her a time frame – if she doesn’t make it by XX date, she’ll have to get a job or move back to the US, She could also wait until auditions start again for Project Fame, The Voice etc. That may be a good starting point.

I think you both have to compromise somehow. Worst case or best case scenario – move here with her and enjoy the Nigerian Sun together.

27. SugaMama

July 20, 2016 at 7:25 pm

As someone currently working in the US and not really interested in what I’m doing, I will advise her to take the job. Start working, save up and as a lot of people have said, start the ground work. Talent alone is not enough. I am currently still working to save up so I can quit and do what I want to do. It’s all a means to an end, she doesn’t need to feel stuck.
    It’s very naive of her to want to just let go of everything and pursue her dreams. America has a way of making you want to do that, however, Nigeria is a completely different field. You have to be prepared mentally and do your homework. If it’s to start by creating a Youtube channel doing covers, that’s one way. Has she thought of what type of music she wants to do and how she will differentiate herself in Nigeria? Don’t come and be a one hit wonder and lose your dignity in the process.
    It’s a wonderful thing when you know what you want to do, however you have to be tactical in going about it. Not all success stories are about throwing caution to the wind. As for the age issue, Tiwa wasn’t young when she started her own career in Nigeria, so she needs to leave that side. The younger she is, the more likely she will be taken advantage of.
    Preparation, hardwork, opportunity. Talent really is a minor detail.

28. yes please

July 20, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Is it just me or no one else is thinking of her using one stone to kill two birds? NYSC! Insist she serves .Work her service to Lagos. If her passion is unsuccessful, she could easily say she went to serve her motherland. You are a good mum.

• Koffie

July 25, 2016 at 6:01 pm

You have a brilliant idea cos she can work her service to a local government where she doesn’t have to come in everyday and be dedicated to her craft. The NYSC camp might also teach her one or two street kred skills. If after a year she doesn’t blow, she can move back to the US and going to ‘Africa to serve my fatherland’ will look good on her resume.
      I also agree with using that one year to enter for all these Project Fame, So you think you can sing etc. The likes of Timi Dakolo, Iyanya, Chidinma entered the music industry via those platforms. And I think we can all agree platforms like Project Fame are very balanced i.e they care about vocals just as much as they care about stage presence unlike the route where she has chosen where pangolo music thrives. She’ll actually learn and develop other areas including her vocals plus us BN fam can vote for her if you send in her details to BN, lol.
      Whatever she does, I strongly advice that she should never compromise on what kind of music she’s into. So you can’t be a great storyline singer like Simi or Timi Dakolo and say because tun gba gba, tun gba gba (pangolo music) seems to get more attention, you’ll be the next Olamide. You’ll only end up being a fake copycat and won’t excel trying to be exactly like someone else. The ones who stay true to their niche also have a good fanbase e.g Simi, Timi Dakolo, Adekunle Gold, Cobhams, etc. She should never try to blend in which is true for other areas in life.
      I don’t know anything about the inner workings of the industry but I think Cobhams is a decent man and a good producer. She should reach out to the likes of him…

29. debz

July 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Goodluck to her. and i really commend her for being bold enough to want to follow her dreams. As for me, i don’t believe in dreams, i believe in “guaranteed success” (not that one can really grantee anything in life) But i’ve always believed in following the greatest probability to success, that’s why i suffered through getting a degree in Engineering (i nearly died of studying lol) but now only 2 years into my career, i have achieved so much.
    Anyway there’s no one road to the market but as for me, no kind of passion can make me take such a huge gamble.

30. Todds

July 21, 2016 at 12:05 am

All I can see is a daughter who’s bluntly bent to relocate to Nigeria regardless. That’s foolishness. You must always hedge your risk before making drastic decisions. If current offer can be deferred, that’s a huge plus to hedge on music career in Nigeria.

Both consulting and music career can be inter-switched while still leaving in US. I work for a global consulting firm and one of the key benefits is opportunity to move and work around different countries. I see even entry graduates do this. Should that firm have a local office in Nigeria, that would be a wise transition process. That’s how you hedge your risk in life.

While I commend her for willing to consider music career in Nigeria, her ‘no’ adamant responses to every caution tells me she’s probably too keen for fame than ascertaining a gradual success. The music scene is Nigeria is saturated too and to swim against odd ties, you have to be mentally strong amidst so many challenges, hence why it’s usually better to hedge.

Although I’m cautious you haven’t mentioned how old she is, I assume she’s still a young woman in her early 20s. Let her see the realities before taking the plunge. It’s a rewarding career but talent sometimes isn’t enough and that’s the reality, hence why transition must be managed.

31. Ranti

July 21, 2016 at 3:31 am

I am praying for you ma because I have little kids of my own and can’t imagine, especially being a girl. She needs a guy or a tough woman who is familiar with the industry to help her navigate the initial stages being a sexist society. Please support, pray and visit her often. All the best

32. HMMMM

July 21, 2016 at 9:47 am

Pls, I have been back in Nigeria for almost 4 years now and I agree with the pepper spray and taser part oh. Nobody is responsible for my safety in this Nigeria….police only know how to obtain people so YES to pepper spray and taser ….if anyone knows where I can find in Nigeria please let me know.

33. Victim

July 31, 2016 at 3:39 am

No madame!! I feel your pain, Dont let her…. its not a good time to start off anything like that in Nigeriia due to the Economic crunch. Besides how sustainable is a career in the Nigerian music industry during this periluous times. Please pray for her, take her to Nigeria on a really low-budget holliday. Lets see if she changes her mind. I am writing this because she has never lived in Nigeria before and the Nigerian artists shes looking up to all left Nigeria after secondary school so they have a feel of the system. Follow your insticts, you are probably right