Career

Preach! “Not Everyone will be an Entrepreneur” – Read Actor Femi Jacobs’ words for those who look down on “Workers”

BellaNaija.com

Femi Jacobs Entrepreneur BellaNaija
Actor Femi Jacobs is not afraid to share his view.
This time, he is speaking out about motivational speakers who basically snub the concept of working while emphasising entrepreneurship.

Read his tweets and Instagram post below;

Let’s not shame honest people who wake up daily to do honest work.
Let’s not breed entitlement in the name of enlightenment.
Let’s not negate character by raising a generation on HIGHMINDEDNESS.
I am in favor of RESIDUAL INCOME sources and the gospel of PERSONAL DREAMS.
But to say everyone MUST BE AN ENTREPRENEUR is to be practically insincere.
I am often sometimes tempted to tell some so called ENTREPRENEURS to go work for a while to even be able to understand what building a dream is like.
I know some incredible working class people who are inspiring and prosperous in the way they go about their jobs.
It’s not a crime to help someone build their dreams and be rewarded handsomely for it.
To those wonderful entrepreneurs who are creating jobs and raising dreams, I say Welldone.
And to those wonderful workers who go out daily to give a good account of their stewardship I say God bless. NO SHAME IN YOUR GAME.
#BeBig
#BeWell

Tweets

1. Halima

July 18, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Thank you sooooooo much! One thing doesn’t work for all. Some Motivational speakers can mislead you. Know what works for you. Life really has no set rules, just understand yourself.

• Fleur

July 18, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Nice one, The marketers of entrepreneurship often forget that entrepreneurship is impossible if you dont have a working class, and my statement is loaded.

• olajumoke

July 19, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Absolutely…

2. Ajala & Foodie

July 18, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I believe it was M.S.A that wrote an article on this a while back on BN about business not being for everyone. It was either an article or a comment not sure anymore but it was a while back and I totally agree, if everyone were to be an entrepreneur then who will get the job done?

3. Leah

July 18, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists, astronauts, firemen, construction workers, lawmakers and many more. The pillars of EVERY society and without them there is no society. I couldn’t agree more. Follow YOUR dreams, fine something you’re good at and live YOUR life

4. Zikky

July 18, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Whoop whoop… finally, someone who sees it and calls it as it is. Especially in Africa right now, youths need to hear this message. Bc they have been sold this idea of being your own boss so much that they don’t want to acquire legit work experience and are hustling to be bosses when they have no idea what it takes. You can’t be a leader if you don’t know how to serve bc how else are you going to know if those under your leadership are paying attention and doing what they supposed to? I knew there was a reason why I was crushing on you Femi, thank you for showing me the why. Too much wisdom in those words. Those who have ears should hear.

• Bubu

July 18, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I don’t really agree with u. Yes soo many youths are sold with the idea but just a small percentage are buying into the idea. We still have the majority with the mind set of seeking for jobs. He is not completely right because its important for those that are wired to be entrepreneurs to have enough motivation to do what they have been wired to do. Entrepreneurship is definitely not for everyone. You need to take time to discover your self acquire the necessary skills ( even If it involves working for a while) or attending trainings but don’t be trapped in a job when u are supposed to create jobs!!! THE KEY WORD IS FIND YOUR PLACE. SELF DISCOVERY IS KEY.

• Ayo

July 18, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I don’t see much difference between what you said and what he said. He apparently has nothing against entrepreneurship…….

5. Sco-Sco

July 18, 2016 at 6:58 pm

PREAAAACH Oga mi! This is sooooo good.

6. unadite

July 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Femi, two plates each of Nkwobi, Asun, Pepper soup and a bottle of cold Star just for you.

7. Spunky

July 18, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I concur to what he said 100%. I take my 9-5 seriously and not in a hurry to dabble fully into a stifled business environment. That said, it is imperative to understand that there is need for more to be done, to encourage prospective business persons into being their own boss. It is not enough to preach it; we need to be enlightened on how to go about categorising and registering a business name, how we can access loans or grants for such purpose. Sitting idle and dreaming of one day becoming Dangote may never happen. This is Nigeria!

8. nene

July 18, 2016 at 7:19 pm

truth!

9. Princess D

July 18, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I don’t know o! Thank you Femi. I am tired of all these people that always say go and ‘learn a trade’ too.
    Must we all be tailors or bake or do make-up.
    I have a dream and if I want to be a banker, thats fine.
    If I want to write for BellaNaija and not start up my blog that should be fine too.

People these days be making your dreams sound invalid. Not everyone wants to be a multi-billionaire. I want to eat, wear cloths, smile and have a roof over my head. That is my dream.
    I started lessons learning a particular trade because of pressure and I just felt like this is not what I want to do. I felt really low, just totally down and I know people living greatly from doing the same job. I just felt it was not for me.

But, I heard inspirational speakers say ‘find the passion and make the money’, ‘be independent’. So I went there.

I will rather do what I love, even if it means working under someone else from 9-5.

Thank you Femi! Thank you!

• Princess D

July 18, 2016 at 7:27 pm

And just to drop this here before I go.
      In the light of working for others, if you are looking for a writer or you have that opportunity to employ someone to write for your blog, your magazine, newspaper…. Anything.
      Please I am here. I badly need a job, while I keep learning a trade.
      [email protected]

10. Iris

July 18, 2016 at 8:15 pm

The funny thing about entrepreneurs that look down on workers is that entrepreneurs need workers. You aren’t more important than they are. You are the face of the company yes, but without them your company is nothing – from the janitor to the CFO.

• LemmeRant

July 18, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Only terrible entrepreneurs look down on workers. And only wicked employees do not take their jobs seriously.

Poi is we are all just one part of the puzzle.

• artklub

July 18, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I agree Iris, but it takes a special kind of person to be a great worker….and great workers are sorely needed, that would help to make Nigeria great. Most Naija workers are not willing to do the real work, have no skill-set, or valid experience and also think they are little ogas themselves. Usually the younger under-30s ones are the worst.

11. Odine

July 18, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I have been on both sides of the spectrum, and while for the most part of my life I could have sworn I would always be in paid employment/9-5. While this was the life I saw for myself, I respected and envied entrepreneurs; the chance and risk they took, the ability to risk it all and pursue their dreams. I found it strong, admirable and saw a deep sense of resilience. I also met those entrepreneurs who came off as better than we 9-5ers, who would come off as though they were better than us. Truth is, they never bothered me. Two years almost gone since I pursued my dream to set out on my own, why? I had a vision of things I needed to experience and do for myself with the philosophy of “let me try and failed rather to have never tried at all”.

There’s something to be said in defense of both sides but for me, it’s kudos to anyone who puts in a honest day’s job for a decent wage and honest wage and I think that’s where our credit should go to.

12. Mahka

July 18, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Finally! Someone who sees from both ends…You finished school n say you are looking for a job, people make faces n ask if you spent 5years to come n work under somebody.. I don’t get it. Am learning a trade but still want to be employed while I work my skill up, someone is asking if I don’t have business head. Must we all be entrepreneurs? Life is singular n in stages,what works for a might not work for b. So far as you make an honest living. Thanks a lot Mr ‘M’ for calling those motivational speakers out.

It’s Tuesday tomorrow, Lord as I carry my ‘kai ya’ n walk down the streets in VI, bless my hustle…no shame in my game.

Every dream is valid- Lupita N’yong o

13. Niyoola

July 18, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I remember some lady commented a while ago, in response to a young person’s Aunty Bella story that “No-one ever got rich by working a 9-5”
    So much misinformation out there.

14. Ada

July 19, 2016 at 8:59 am

I really think people fabricate these issues just to get some attention. Since when have people who pursue an honest living in a 9-5 become looked down upon?

• Tru

July 19, 2016 at 9:39 am

For real o, it is looked down on. I have quite a few folks who don’t get why i’m happy in my 9 – 5 and have made it their life purpose to convince me to be an entrepreneur. I have my side interests but i still intend to stay the corporate course. Sue me :p

15. 9AM - 5PM

July 19, 2016 at 10:08 am

I have only question…

‘If you were in an Agrarian Economy…each learning to sell tomotoes, yam or pepper…can you say you are a 9am – 5pm Person? We are not against career oriented persons! We are against a system where people feel they can sit down and earn money without necessarily expanding the opportunities for others people to come in…like the proverbia story of the man in Luke 15 that was given 1 Talent and he dug it…

Lets say you work in Cadbury and you know the process for making Bournita…from the beginning of production to the sales and marketing…after 15 years of learning…you decide to make you own brand and employ other people…why? because you have the money and skills and it is gross laziness and greed to not give someone else the opportunity you had…Alas…most people dont want all that…You want to know how the Igbo grew so rich after the Biafra / Nigeria Civil War when they lost everything…check the Spare Part Business and the ‘serving my Oga’ for 10 Years process…therein lies the secret…

No one is against you for working Hard to build other people Business! But you need to seek to mind your own Business. You must give other people the chance someone else gave you…otherwise, you are both Lazy and greedy! Jesus called them a Wicked and Unfaithful servant….took the one talent and hid it in the ground..

I am a Career person! I would always be a career person…but I would always have something on the side…be it an Investment…a Business that employs people or platform that adds value to others other than collecting salary and saying GodWin…

My 2CENT…

16. Ibukun Awosika

July 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

Take Time out and listen to this Wonderful Woman – IBUKUN AWOSIKA.

Quite relevant for this post!

PART 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_XLVfcS8U
    PART 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTEmwa4ORY
    PART 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKcefzP_ew
    PART 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_89qC_kW2TQ

17. olajumoke

July 19, 2016 at 3:30 pm

That’s why people fail sometimes… you don’t get the requisite knowledge to start a business and then you go and start and fail, you say the witches are after you. Your customer service sucks, thinking you are doing the 9-5 a favour by selling.. we are both doing ourselves a favour and i do know where it is weightier… Yes, you do not get rich by doing a 9-5 job but that’s where the problem is, many people want to get rich quickly without putting in the works and the works are evident when you have been tutored and allowed yourself to be tutored by people who are already in business… SOme people are natural born entreprenuers and would be doing themselves a disservice by going to work 9-5, make sure you find your purpose, thats all. You can work 9-5 and still be more honorable than the entrepreneur..