Sweet Spot

“Is anyone happy with their body anymore?” – Genevieve Magazine Editor Betty Irabor writes on #Bodyfidence

Betty Irabor 2

In a new post published on Genevieve Online, Editor-in-Chief Betty Irabor talks about the rate at which people don’t love/appreciate their bodies anymore.

She calls for a need to have #Bodyfidence.

When Genevieve feature writer Torera Idowu said she wanted to champion a #Bodyfidence campaign to help women love themselves, warts and all. I couldn’t agree more.

As Editor-In-Chief, I get to meet most of our cover girls. Of course one of the reasons they are on the cover in the first place is their beauty; readers are drawn to beautiful women with stories they can relate to. Personally, I don’t think any woman is ugly. Surprisingly even the really beautiful drop dead gorgeous women have a body part they are unhappy with.

‘Could you please edit my thighs I think they are too chunky’

‘I have Christian mother arms, could you please edit out the flab’

‘I hate my nose, I hate my pigeon toes!’

‘I am too dark’

‘I see a wrinkle’

…On and on the cover girls would go as they look at their soon to be published cover images, a rare privilege extended to them by the editors just to assure them they will make beautiful cover girls.

I guess the fact that social media and fashion bloggers especially have constituted themselves into fashion police, and resorted to body-shaming women, has not helped with the insecurities.

Sensational singer, Waje once shared her story on the day she was body shamed on social media. It hurt her so much she thought of quitting and just hiding away but the trouper in her got her back on top. Celebrities are the biggest victims of this public body shaming. A celebrity who has just given birth is hounded over her post-baby bump and the pressure piles on. This pressure further fuels the level of insecurity.

We once had a hysterical cover girl in our office; she was happy with her cover until her ex-husband called her to say she looked fat and Genevieve standard must have dropped for her to make the cover. It took a while to convince her from buying every copy of the magazine in circulation. Her #bodyfidence was gone!

Why are we so insecure about our bodies? Why is it so difficult to love the skin we’re in? Hello, is anyone happy with their body anymore?

There is far too much body tampering going on. Why does a 25 year old need fillers and botox?

Why do women subject themselves to pills and injections to lighten up and lose weight without thinking of the consequences? Bleached skin doesn’t age well!

Shortcuts to beauty won’t pay off in the long term. Nothing beats a holistic approach to beauty care.

The dark skinned woman wants to be white, the woman with the beautiful full lips wants thin lips, the woman with the DD cup bra size wants a smaller cup, the one with the high cheek bones wants a Nefertiti look.

Why can’t we love our perfect imperfections and love our curves and edges?

Oh, I admit I once walked that road where every time I looked in the mirror all I saw was my button nose which my mum bequeathed me and my k leg (thank you dad). But when I finally realized these body parts were never going to change I learnt to accept them.

What will it take to love ourselves for who we are? Body confidence that’s what we need. Do not accept someone else’s definition of beauty.

Grow your confidence daily and work on parts of your body you can improve on holistically through diets, workouts and better lifestyle choices.

Truth is, nothing is as beautiful as the woman who oozes confidence. She walks into a room and her confidence glows through.

Beauty is as much in character as it is in the physical. Learn to accept a compliment without thinking someone is stringing us along.

Come on ladies, let’s celebrate our individual beauties because there is no one quite like you!

1. kim kim

September 15, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I’m insecure about my body. My parents designed my face when I was born and I look at the mirror and see an ugly girl staring back. I feel so disgusted. I understand why some people have body issues. Forget confidence, it’s hard to feel confident when u have a huge scar on ur forehead and cheek.

• JustSaying

September 15, 2016 at 7:17 pm

What do you mean by your parents designed your face?

Are you referring to tribal marks? Why did they do that? Pardon my language but are they illiterates (excuse my language). Just curious. Folks still do that?

You can have plastic surgery someday to correct it though depending how deep they are.

• truthservedhot

September 15, 2016 at 11:30 pm

You are the illiterate. Since when has having a traditional tattoo become a measure of a one’s literacy?

• EE

September 16, 2016 at 2:13 am

Well you could always become rich, buy a handsome man and not design your daughter’s face or you know design her to specifications.

Seriously though, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Just think of the irony if you’re ignoring all the guys dying for you because you’re too busy drowning in your misery. Embrace life, be happy, don’t worry, too too tuuru Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh.

• Marian

September 16, 2016 at 2:46 am

I hope you get to read this. I want you to know you are beautiful. You have to start seeing the beauty in you and others will too. Not everyone mind you because the society we live in has set the standards for beauty that’s not real. I watched a documentary about a tribe in a remote part of ethiopia. They defined beauty by lip piercing. They pierce the lips of their female children when they are little and they start stretching it out so by the time they are teenagers they have this huge hole on their lips. The bigger the hole the more bride price they get.

You are beautiful. When you start to believe it and you add confidence with a nice smile, the people around you will too. The next time you look in the mirror please smile and tell that beautiful girl staring back at you she’s beautiful.

2. Angie

September 15, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I am very happy with my body. I am quite slim and for a while I tried to gain weight but never did.
    Love your body, enjoy your body. If you feel inadequate in one area, change it if you can. Remember this body doesn’t have a sparepart

3. wendy

September 15, 2016 at 3:57 pm

BETTY THANK YOU SO MUCH, I LOVE YOU MMUAH1

4. Beard gang

September 15, 2016 at 4:07 pm

i remember my ‘insecure’ days without beard and the moustache…lmao! my chin was as smooth as marble. thumbs up to menthylated spirit LoL! last last who beard don epp? i love my beard sha

• Oluwatobi Gbemisola

September 16, 2016 at 10:47 am

Lol I know right! Too much standards on men’s beauty with the beard! I had to get me some beard too you know!

5. De Duchess

September 15, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I agree with what she has said.

Actually, we are all insecure in one way or the other. Others just know how to move on.
    Talking about dark girls bleaching, I remember this dark girl that was so on the anti-bleaching team but was never happy to see really black girls and she is as white as snow on all her pictures. As in snow white filtering. Make-up had to make her very light or else, she won’t even show up.
    I think people that shame others are extremely insecure. You won’t be so concerned about how fat or slim another person is, if you are not trying to make yourself better.
    The same with those that abuse people that bleach. I see the Toke comments. I know people that want to and don’t just have the guts, so they spend time bashing instead.
    Insecure people are always so eager to bash, curse out.
    By the way, who is the ex-husband sef? Why is he still checking his ex-wife? She must have been on the right track.

6. Yummychickcummummy

September 15, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I v a big eyeballs and full lips. I used to hate in skol den cos my high school friends esp. Guys make jest of it… Now after few yrs, those pple making jest of me then, told me that dey actually like my face dt y I was being mocked… Wtf.. I v cometo love my imperfect me cos I know there is no perfect woman, most na Package …. F*** what pple says.!! … #Dt short, cute, fine sexy gal aka me…. Lol

7. MamaLee

September 15, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I am wonderfully and perfectly made by the most high himself, my smallish stature i did not like at first but guess what ? that’s what gave me the man of my dreams with two beautiful girls i can give young girls a run for their money lol bottom line, love yourself keep fit and be happy.

8. Olay

September 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I just needed this just in time ,I have small boobs and just because of that my boyfriend left me ,saying he likes busty ladies …well I took life like that and decided to appreciate myself,like u said the body doesn’t have spare part ..Girlconfidence…

9. Gorgeous

September 15, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I dont have body image issues… i dont know why! I guess when you are not one that stresses over much, you really dont realize or notice those little things. People with body image issues are over critical of everything and themselves. Live a little people please… Every pimple and stretchmark has a story. and when i see it, it makes me laugh as i know how it came about. Life is short, just enjoy yourself and try to be happy.

10. kim jay

September 15, 2016 at 6:43 pm

BN, where is my comment??

11. JustSaying

September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm

This is why Grace Jones will always be a legend in my books. She was not the most good looking but her confidence will make her go down as one of the sexiest women ever.

Its all about confidence. Once you have that nothing else matter. I also love the confidence of Gabrielle Sidebe. However there is a thing line between confidence and narcissistic and conceited. I know the difference

• EE

September 16, 2016 at 2:15 am

Grace Jones not good looking??? Somebody didn’t watch Conan growing up.

12. Ethio

September 15, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I’m a gym freak because I was never comfortable looking the way i did but now… oh my! i was inspired to make myself my perception of confident and i did. confidence is attainable when you’re comfortable on your grounds.i feel it’s easy for betty to preach bodyfidence because she’s every bit of satisfied with what she can see and what she has been told. there are people you feel lucky you dont look like and there are people who inspire you to bring out a better you thus more confidence, not just in your body but in your actual self work for whatever gives your life some essence

13. Roma

September 15, 2016 at 7:40 pm

I love my body, I am so confident in my body; right from when i was a teenager, every fat and plumpy girls will say all sorts of things about how i look like a sickle cell patient, etc. But i was never moved by what they said, i always have a word or two to dish out to them.

I will never touch any part of my body, when is time for wrinkles, i will happily embrace it. I pray to live till oldage and admire myself.
    I love me slim and fit. I love my flat nose because it suites my face, i love my eyes, i love my cheeks and succulent lips. In short, i love every part of my body.
    I only apply little makeup to enhance my beauty.

14. Green

September 15, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I have serious low self esteem because of my K-legs. I wear mostly skirts and dresses. What I will do to get my legs straightened. God help me.

• jemine

September 15, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Green I feel ur pain. Its not easy…but just thank God 4 life

• V

September 17, 2016 at 9:22 am

Hello. You can see an orthopedic surgeon if you really want to change it. Good luck.

15. Kandy

September 15, 2016 at 10:32 pm

But if you are confident with your body why do you need Botox?

• nene

September 15, 2016 at 11:39 pm

lol

• Anonymous

September 16, 2016 at 2:14 am

If really didn’t actually get this Botox, may people falsely speculate about sensitive things in your life and that of those who endorsed this comment.

16. Marlvina

September 16, 2016 at 1:50 am

I really admire my body right now. It was never this way. In fact a dream setting to reality though not yet to perfection. Still in process. Initially, I had this stubborn bloated stomach I carried around for a long while. It made me feel so insure and shapeless but gracious Lord helped me gain interest in excercises and my eating pattern changed as well. I took that bold step. I needed to love myself in other for people to return the love. I needed to boost my self confidence. Today I can stand naked in front of the mirror in admiration taking several poses like a runway model.

17. Davido

September 16, 2016 at 8:10 am

Wow….so women feel this insecure about their body but they are quick to say a man has a small peepee so everyone can laugh. Wow O Wow.

I remember when Yetunde Bustline said Baba Tee has a small peepee and women started laughing over it! God help us all

18. bodifidencia

September 16, 2016 at 8:30 am

I love my body. Just wish i wasnt so straight and i had some ass. lol!

19. shield

September 16, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Bodyfidence is it! I talk to myself in the mirror and say that I’m beautiful, that I love every body feature. Working on losing a little weight and getting a pimple/acne-free face. And buying/sewing pretty dresses too.

20. dahme k

September 16, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I am really slim and ave a smallish stature. I am 21yrs but look like a 15yrs old girl. My stature is my biggest insecurity, although I am a very beautiful girl but my stature bothers me a lot. Have tried almost everything to gain weight but none of them ever works out, so frustrating. So now am learning to love my body.

• vika

October 21, 2016 at 2:12 pm

u can take cod liver oil, any good multivitamine and xasten. it works well