Style

Chimamanda Adichie’s 1st Print Ad for No7 is Out – “Make-up is just make-up.”

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda Adichie_Boots_no7_makeupLast week author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was announced as the new face of No 7 makeup by Boots UKclick here to see the campaign video.

In the video and in her feminist manifesto on Facebook also published this month, she talked about makeup, her daughter, femininity and feminism.

If she likes makeup let her wear it. If she likes fashion let her dress up. But if she doesn’t like either let her be. Don’t think that raising her feminist means forcing her to reject femininity.

Feminism and femininity are not mutually exclusive. It is misogynistic to suggest that they are. Sadly, women have learned to be ashamed and apologetic about pursuits that are seen as traditionally female, such as fashion and makeup.

Photo Credit: Boots UK

1. LemmeRant

October 24, 2016 at 11:16 am

Oya, all da sheeps. Your messiah has spoken. come and worship

• GY Online NG

October 24, 2016 at 11:31 am

Messiah of What?

• A Real Nigerian

October 24, 2016 at 11:38 am

*sheeps

• californiabawlar

October 24, 2016 at 12:01 pm

There there….oya here’s a cool suppository to help relieve that nagging butthurt.
      Peace, love, pretty red lipsticks and all things nice to all my sassy BellaNaijarians this week. Werk it!

• Mohammad

October 24, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I don’t know about you all but I come bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh for I have seen her star shining bright.
      The irony is that Chimamanda isn’t just any messiah- she is flesh and blood, with very considered logical arguments and better than the fictional ones you guys worship blindly and without questions.

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 24, 2016 at 12:48 pm

I never i thought i would say this but Mohammad, i like you!

• Mohammad

October 24, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Why did you never think you would?

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 24, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Well, lets just say i am not a big fan of the real Mohammad… no offence intended.

• Mohammad

October 24, 2016 at 1:43 pm

How do you mean, “the real Mohammad”? You mean the founder of islam? If that’s who you meant, then you were being too quick to judge. I am gay, an atheist (humanist) and a staunch supporter of feminism and other human rights. I’m sure you realise Nigerians still have names like Ogunsakin, Amadioha and the like without maintaining any affiliation with the religions the names suggest.

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Of course Mohammad, apologies for my assumption.

• LemmeRant

October 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm

@mgtss.blogspot.com
      Hehehe this is fun. See how y’all always crucify yourselves. I bet if his name was Aisha or Monsurat you would have liked him automatically.

This is just too good.

• Chris.

October 24, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Because you are homosexual and have chosen – rather than seeking His always available and rich love, mercy, forgiveness and grace to help, deliver, heal and make whole – to hate and put all of your puny self into a constant fight (what a joke) against your Creator.

You mock whoever believes in Him and in His Word and blindly worship whosoever does not, or that questions His Word or very existence, or that pollutes/dilutes/corrupts His Word, AND/OR that promotes and supports the homosexual/lgbtq lifestyle and agenda, such as Chinamanda. (THAT is the primary reason you have proclaimed her your god(dess) and fawn obsequiously over her and anything to do with her.)

That is your problem and also @bruno’s, who at first used to deny being homosexual, then, later outed himself on BN, and rails against and mocks God and His Word and Christians and pastors, as you do.

• Mohammad

October 24, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Chris, I am not in any constant fights with a creator because I do not believe there to be one! The battles you perceive me raging against, however, are with human beings who refuse to treat their fellow human beings as equals based on their personal unproven beliefs. I happen to believe in you living your life as you want as far as those choices do not impinge in any way on the very same rights of others to live their lives as they choose. I happen to believe in logic and as I mentioned in my earlier comment, Chimamanda is somebody who presents very well considered arguments, something that is to be commended in a society like Nigeria’s where people are very happy to fall off cliffs without reason by not asking questions or challenging pre-existing ideas because of intellectual laziness. She is a beacon of hope in this darkness and I feel a strong need to champion someone who reflects the views she expresses on the Nigerian and world stage.

I am happy to debate more with you, but I fear you will not be up for it.

2. A Real Nigerian

October 24, 2016 at 11:34 am

Stupid butthurt Nigerian man. Always intimidated by anything that goes against your rapist agenda. Curb your insecurity.

• A Real Nigerian

October 24, 2016 at 11:35 am

@LemmeWank

• LemmeRant

October 24, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Oya take cream. Go and wank

3. Ty

October 24, 2016 at 11:52 am

why u so bitter babe?

4. Nancy

October 24, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Something timid and not just it about this photo.

5. Marlvina

October 24, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Na wa o! Feminism talk in make-up too…

• Derin87

October 24, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Feminism talk? Lol…you’re joking, yeah?

• Marlvina

October 24, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Yeah probably….

6. EE

October 24, 2016 at 1:25 pm

“Sadly, women have learned to be ashamed and apologetic about pursuits that are seen as traditionally female, such as fashion and makeup.”???????????????

Women, made to feel apologetic………about fashion and makeup????? Hmmm……………TIL?

• A Real Nigerian

October 24, 2016 at 2:04 pm

r/TwoXChromosomes

• EE

October 24, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Pass, /r/NeutralPolitics and /r/gunners are more my speed.

7. Big Tee

October 24, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I like girls, I like women, they are smart, they are beautiful, they are my mothers and my sisters, I like make up too, it takes the beauty game to another level…. as for Auntie Chi-Chi…. I like your books, I like that you have your own opinions, sometimes I don’t agree with your views, but its fine….. life will be boring if we agree on everything…..

8. Weezy

October 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm

This was a bad idea. Sure you can be feminist and wear makeup. But to be a public feminist theorist that also sells drugstore brand makeup? Saying that “makeup is just makeup”? Next time she talks about gender roles, someone can say “submission is just a role. If I want to choose submission and it makes me feel good, why should it matter?”

She is reducing her credibility.

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 24, 2016 at 8:04 pm

But hasn’t that been her argument all along, the freedom to CHOOSE? If a woman chooses submission is her life’s goal, it is all well and good, as long as it is HER choice.
      No complications or contradictions here…

9. Manny

October 24, 2016 at 8:28 pm

I love her look.

10. wendy

October 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm

this chick is reminding me of Monique these days. fat girls rock. Skinny girls are this, that, blah blah…. While all the time she was dying inside.

Anyhoo! it is always good to have a mind of your own. Don’t fall for anything.

11. That-I-May-Fly

October 26, 2016 at 10:10 am

Seen the advert and I didn’t like it. The speech, the stereotypical image of the African landscape and the length of the ad were all a turn off for me. Why couldn’t she be the face of No7 and just have fun with it. Must we be subjected to the torture of this feminism claptrap at every turn? It’s frankly boring and another bid to make people conform to a different ideology. I don’t want someone’s ideas forced down my throat because nothing ever really changes. They root out one ideology only to replace it with another that represses us all, and the vicious cycle continues. No one is truly free until death, so please let us hear word. As a woman who doesn’t wear make up, I do not do so to make a statement. I do so because it makes my life easy! On the rare occasion that I do wear make up, it makes me feel good. I like seeing nice make up on other women and I like seeing women who haven’t been blessed with what we consider to be ‘mainstream beauty’ turned into swans. Make up is both empowering and objectifying, but must we always get so academic about everything? Why can’t we just enjoy anything anymore without some ideological slant to it? Na wa oh.