Events

Lagos Socialite Fifi Dilly Set to Open Jamaican-African Restaurant in Lagos Today

BellaNaija.com

Fifi Umenyiora- Jamo AfriqueFor a few days now, the #JamoAfrique hashtag has been trending on social media and people have been asking questions.

Let’s help you; Jamo Afrique is the spanking new restaurant launching in Lagos on Friday, October 7, 2016.

Jamo Afrique; an Afro-Caribbean upscale restaurant, is comfortably situated on Plot 3, Block 3 Oniru Estate, Victoria Island just a few blocks after Four Points hotel, Lekki. See details below:

Date: Friday, October 7th, 2016.
Venue: Plot 3, Block 3 Oniru Estate, Victoria Island, Lagos

The new restaurant is owned by pretty fashionista and serial entrepreneur, Fifi Umenyiora fondly called ‘Fifi Dilly’. She’s the wife of Dilly Motors chairman Dilly Umenyiora.

The stunning business woman who recently had a star-studded birthday gig in Lagos where she hosted some of Lagos finest personalities to a lavish party right in the restaurant, has promised to make sure ‘Jamo Afrique’ becomes a household name associated with distinct quality and excellence service in the shortest possible time.

In her words, “It’s been a long time coming but I thank God we are here today to show results of the hardwork I’ve put in with my work and the fantastic support from my husband. From here on, it’s more work and dedication to build and sustain this new brand.”

A quick visit to Jamo Afrique shows a state of the art and exquisite furnishing with world class customer service, buffet, À la cartemeals and premium drinks. And guess what it’s super affordable!

For table bookings call 08100793434 or 09076227774.

_________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Content

1. Curios

October 7, 2016 at 10:23 am

Pls what is a socialite and what do they do for a living ….I would love to become one ?

• Lai

October 7, 2016 at 11:48 am

Socialite is just a popular person, mostly popular for being popular. They can have day jobs e.g like Toke, or they can be housewives, heiresses, married to rich men/women and being popular because of that etc

• Ngbabe

October 7, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Socialites are just people who are always seen in the social circle.

2. Lyea

October 7, 2016 at 10:50 am

I’m Jamaican and I find that term offensive

• Offended Jamaican

October 7, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Thank you…anyone with an inkling of Jamaican haritage will not name anything Jamo something….it is tastless.

3. Observer

October 7, 2016 at 11:23 am

What’s offensive about it? Jamo is like saying Naija, Brit, Yankee etc… Please get over yourself.

• Anonymous

October 7, 2016 at 11:52 am

I think we should have just asked the Jamaican “why” instead of TELLING them there’s nothing wrong there when we’ve never walked a day in their shoes. Why are Nigerians so freaking rude? We vex if politicians treat us like shit or if white people are racist to us, but we won’t listen to others without being so mean and harsh for no reason. Maybe the Jamaican was wrong, but at least we could have learned something in his or her explanation

• Oma

October 7, 2016 at 1:27 pm

1000 likes for your comment took the words out of my mouth…

• Backspace

October 7, 2016 at 5:00 pm

“I think we should have just asked the Jamaican “why” instead of TELLING them there’s nothing wrong there when we’ve never walked a day in their shoes.”

I believe “observer” asked the question — “What’s offensive about it?” And how do you know that “observer” is a Nigeria? seeing that all Nigerians became rude by an action of one, is that not generalization? Seems you just wanted to vent and you saw the opportunity to and you took it.

See I am making an assumption too.

• O.O.

October 7, 2016 at 8:22 pm

@Observer there is a certain familiarity that friendship brings. If you have a friend that jokingly calls you “orobo” you laugh it off. But if a complete stranger were to refer to you as “orobo”, you’d most likely be offended. In th same way, because your friends and other Jamaicans laugh when they are called” jamo” does not mean that all Jamaicans want to be called “jamo”. The way you told Lyea to “get over herself” was extremely condescending and dismissive and ironically you are the one calling others those things.

• Lyea

October 7, 2016 at 11:56 am

Clearly you did not grow up in the UK so not much point arguing with you. But, yes, it is indeed an offensive term which was used by those usually of African decent to address Jamaicans. In term you would get Jamaicans referring to those of African descent as “Affs” etc.

Rarely would you find a Jamaican referring to themselves as a Jamo. Quite telling.

Anyway, I’m a British Jamaican who enjoys reading the content on BN and I don’t get the impression that there are many Jamaicans in Lagos so I doubt there will be anyone to offend.

Offensive name aside, wishing them all the best with the new endeavour.

• Observer

October 7, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I actually do live in the UK with plenty of friends of Caribbean descent who do not take offence when i call them ‘my Jamo friends’. Some even call me ‘African Bubu’ or ‘fufu, but I dont take offence either. We have known each other for years and some we went to uni together. They dont feel like I am talking down to them nor do they see the term as derogatory. I guess some people just like to look for offence in everything.

• Anon

October 7, 2016 at 12:42 pm

“I don’t get the impression that there are many Jamaicans in Lagos so I doubt there will be anyone to offend.” There are many of them. I doubt if they find it offensive.

A friend’s Mum is Jamaican and their Dad, Igbo. They call themselves “Jamo.” I also have cousins with a Jamiaican Mum and they refer to themselves as half Jamo and half Igbo.

“Jamo – Nigerian word to refer to Jamaicans”

In London, my cousins hang around with Jamaicans and they call them Jamos and they let it pass..

• Observer

October 7, 2016 at 12:49 pm

@Anon – Thank you very much o. There are loads of people from the Caribbean married to Africans both in Nigeria and London and I have never met one who has been offended by the term ‘Jamo’. Its never used in an offensive fashion nor used to talk down Jamaicans. It makes me wonder the kind of people Lyea hangs around that use it in such a derogatory manner to cause her to be offended at the term.

• Cafe au lait.

October 7, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Yes, there are actually many Jamaicans in Lagos, and a large proportion of that number are married to Nigerians and see and take no offence in being referred to as Jamo BECAUSE there is no intended offence there to be taken.

Meanwhile, I attended a large Caribbean church (the founding pastor and wife are Jamaican, and most of the congregation are Jamaican and followed by some other Caribbean countries, than a few Africans, and a very few from elsewhere) and something I will never forget: a young man of Jamaican/Caribbean descent asked me if I knew someone or other in the church, and I said I did not. He, then, replied to say the person was from Ghana and was surprised we didn’t know each other (this happened in 2007, by the way). I asked why I should know that person, and he replied, that the person was from Africa (I think I had to educate him on “”Ghanaian””) and I was from Africa. I told him that while that was true, the other person was from Ghana and I was from Nigeria. He was still talking and said “”But you speak the same language, right?”” I asked what he meant and he said: you know, our African language, what we speak in Africa, that if that person speaks their language, I’d understand and we’d be able to communicate in our language. I, then explained to him patiently and smiling that that person comes from GHANA and I come from NIGERIA, and that these are TWO, SEPARATE, DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. I explained to him that horizontally, in a horizontal line to the left, Ghana is THREE COUNTRIES away from my COUNTRY. I explained that furthermore, in my own COUNTRY alone, there are over 250 indigenous languages and dialects, and I have not finished learning/speaking 0.00000001% of those ones, how much more indigenous languages from other countries where I have not lived. I told him that the other person is GHANAIAN and I, by the grace of God, am NIGERIAN and that even though as with all West African countries, and also, all African countries, there will always be some or a few or one or two points of similarity, those are still two very distinct nationalities and countries.

It was to my greatest shock, amazement and sadness, and a very surreal feeling of not knowing whether to laugh or cry, when I heard him, in reply, lecturing me and pontificating on why he didn’t understand why we Africans couldn’t all just like each other and live together in unity, why we always had to have this divisiveness between us, that we are all Africans, and we should live in unity, and etc, etc, etc.

I looked at him as he spoke so condescendingly (an attitude I encountered more than once, towards my Nigerian-ness in that church) and I didn’t know how to tell him to close his mouth and stop displaying his very shameful illiteracy and embarrassing ignorance.

I looked at him and I thought: you really think you are better than me? You really think when the white man sees you, and he sees me, he doesn’t automatically see your black skin but he sees mine? WRONG. SO VERY WRONG. You really think that because your ancestors were taken to the islands and then your parents/grandparents came to the UK and you were born here, you have left Africa behind? You think you are now white? You will NEVER leave Africa behind. You will NEVER be white. Your food betrays you, in its distinction from the mild, insipid palate of Caucasian models; in its spices, its curry, its mutton, its jerk, its rice and beans combo, its oxtail, its AFRICAN-NESS. Your sense of family and community betrays you in the warmth of its AFRICAN-NESS. The vibrancy of your personality, your mannerisms, your colours, the way you dress, the way you put things together, the way you laugh, your spirit, betrays your AFRICAN-NESS. Yet, somehow, you think, you believe, you are better than me, different from me. And that the white man, in whose land you live, sees such a difference.

You may be right but the only difference he (some, not all of them) sees is the difference between his domesticated dog and one, wild, street, untamed mongrel. But both dogs, nevertheless.

p.s. Ghana is one of my favourite countries. I like Accra which reminds me of a calmer-paced, cleaner Lagos. And, I really like Ghanaians. That said, I love my Africa and represent proudly anywhere. Even wearing a full South African attire on a Culture Day in that church (that was another catalyst for another condescending remark from another person, the day I wore my Nigerian attire – another condescending remark, my eating my delicious home-cooked white rice and stew with spicy chicken wings during lunch time was another catalyst for another condescending remark. And, marked the first time, I actively thought of rice and stew, rice and -in my case – tomato sauce with basil, oregano, garlic and thyme – rice and stew, as “”Nigerian food””.

To express the sadness I felt that day … it is one thing for a white person, or Asian, or from whatever other race to display such crass ignorance and pompous illiteracy about my race and ethnicity, even in this 21st century; but when it comes from someone of your race, who should know better and who should seek to know better because they are only seeking to know better about themselves, anyway …

And for the record, my ancestors were taken away too, to plantations too, albeit in Brasil. Their descendants returned when slavery was abolished. They returned as freed men to the countries from which their ancestors were taken as free men. My late grandmother gave me a book detailing the early history of the Brazilian community in Lagos. I was still in primary school, when I promised I would go to Brazil and tell her all about it. She died whilst I was in secondary school. I never forgot my childhood promise to my beloved grandmother and upon graduating from Uni for my first degree, and my first job, and beginning to take trips and holidays abroad on my own steam, without my parents, it didn’t take long before I made my promised trip to the (surrogate) home of my ancestors and I made sure I went to as wide and varied a portion of the country as I could in my 12 days there, covering Rio, Sao Paulo, Foz D’Iguassu (the Iguassu Falls), Brasileira (had to visit our embassy and the capital of the country), El Salvador/Bahia and Manaus/Amazon. Apart from travelling by plane and staying in hotels only, I took at least one trip by bus (24 hours! because I realised I was only meeting tourists, even though from all over the world, in the hotels and planes I patronised) and happily took up an introduction and opportunity to stay with two white Brasilian girls in their apartment for my 2 or 3 days in Bahia (though unasked, I made sure I dropped fifty pounds sterling when leaving and a hardly-worn expensive Senegalese boubou which the girl who actually owned the apartment really, really liked and wanted me to send similar of from Nigeria. Oh, and I cooked one meal for them/us whilst there, which they exclaimed over and absolutely refused to share with or offer to their guests, only telling them about it. Oh yes, it was another rice and sauce meal, this time with strips and chunks of beef and veg. They introduced me happily to their friends, boyfriends, and spiritual counselor. They welcomed me warmly, without condescension, into their lives..And this was without even knowing that my ancestors had been there. WHITE girls with not one trace of African in their bloodline. I spent almost a year in that black Jamaican/Caribbean church, attending every service, midweek and four services on Sunday – because I’m a God-addict like that, and never once got an invitation.)

Such condescension, the same kind that can be smelt in “”Clearly you did not grow up in the UK so not much point arguing with you.””

• Observer

October 7, 2016 at 4:43 pm

@Cafe Au Lait – I wish I can like your post a million times! You summed up the typical Jamo condescending attitude. Despite not even knowing me, her first paragraph was very dismissive i.e. “”Clearly you did not grow up in the UK so not much point arguing with you.”” I quickly sussed her out. I deal with her type everyday and will happily put them in their place. Thank you jare.

• Tosin

October 8, 2016 at 8:57 am

My first love was sha Jamo – half jamo. Thank you for reminding me. Beautiful boy he was. Then adulthood happened lol, nah he’s still a little cute.

• aj

October 8, 2016 at 9:17 pm

yeah it is quite a familiar attitude…most Jamaicans are condescending towards Africans. I lived with one and her Nigerian husband when i was done with high school. This is in the United States. You know they are plenty here too. She basically wanted me to be ashamed to be Nigerian but i wasn’t. I left their house after a month. Most of their women act like b*****.

• Kel

November 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Cafe au lait Nigerians are very pompous because of the oil money we export. Refering to a Jamaican as Jamo is rude, you wouldn’t do that in their communities. Because some don’t challenge you does not make it right. It is different from Naija which is the yoruba word for Nigeria. Jamo is like calling a Pakistani person ‘Paki’. We have no sense of PC in Nigeria so I don’t expect people’s feelings about the name to change. I don’t expect authentic Jamaican cuisine there since they can’t get the name right.

4. Mahka

October 7, 2016 at 11:34 am

Of cos its sponsored content, all that description and fine tuned English cannot be free.

5. Ms Kunms

October 7, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Pictures of the place would have helped you know…Bad PR

• Anon

October 7, 2016 at 2:23 pm

You know that will be another post on its own. With all the socialites…

• chai

October 7, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Exactly Ms Kunms, they plastered the owners face on there like it is her we are chopping. We know she has good skin and is pretty but heck this is about Jamo Afrique so you should have had the pictures plastered all over. Take a cue from Linda Ikeji who showed us every nook and cranny of her office and mansion lol! That reminds, me needs to visit her this weekend as I am the only one yet to pay homage!

6. Someone Naughty

October 7, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Was this the best name she could come up with? And that font… Comic Sans MS.

Anyway she’s chosen the right business, food always sells in a recession. I wish her the very best

7. cnn

October 7, 2016 at 3:29 pm

lmfao that comic sans font is very bad infact so she coukdntt hire a crreative graphic designer with all the dilli money lol

8. tunmi

October 7, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Hopefully the location is verified legal

9. True Talk

October 7, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Works both ways. Many Nigerians in the UK refer to Jamaicans as Jamos and mean it offensively. So Lyea has a point, let her make it.

10. ...just saying

October 9, 2016 at 7:21 am

“The new restaurant is owned by pretty fashionista and serial entrepreneur, Fifi Umenyiora fondly called ‘Fifi Dilly’. She’s the wife of Dilly Motors chairman Dilly Umenyiora””

Err, I thought we were showcasing a restaurant here. Na wa o!.