Career

“I Want To Save Lives” – Says 16 Year Old Young Nigerian Scientist of the Year

BellaNaija.com

"I Want To Save Lives" - 16 Year Old Young Nigerian Scientist of the Year

Oluwatosin Adedipe | Photo Credit: Nigerian Tribune

Adedipe Oluwatosin, a 16-year-old student of Shepherd International School, Ado-Ekiti, has won the Young Nigerian Scientist Presidential Award. The competition was organised by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and had 774 contestants from all local government areas in the country.

In recognition of his work, the Ekiti State Government has rewarded him with a cash prize of N2.5m and a yearly grant of N1m which will run for 4 years.

He was presented with the award by Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara.

Oluwatosin, who also won the 2016 Science Teachers Association of Nigeria (STAN) National Science Competition, expressed his desire to become a doctor and save lives in an interview with Naza Okoli of the Nigerian Tribune.

Young Scientist of the Year – it sounds like a big title. How did all start?

I was selected after the preliminary stage to represent Ekiti State at the national level. At the national level, I contested alongside representatives from the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

What would you say were the skills that helped you excel?

The time allotted for the papers was limited. Hence, I maximised my time wisely by solving the questions that I knew very well, first, before attempting to solve questions that I was not familiar with. I also used intelligent guesses by eliminating options that I knew could not be correct.

Who has been the greatest influence in your life?

My parents have been the greatest influence in my life. They have been so supportive, and they helped me to become who I am today by their words of encouragement, prayer and love.

What do you want to be in future?

I want to be a doctor; I want to save lives.

Many believe that the field of science and technology hasn’t been given the kind of attention it deserves.

In your experience, what would you say is the secret to success?

I think the secrets to success are hard work, determination, vision, and so on. But the greatest secret is God, because with God, all things are possible.

What other things do you do, apart reading science?

I love to play video games like football, racing, and others. I also love playing Chess and Scrabble.

Read full interview here.

1. The Real Oma

June 22, 2017 at 2:49 pm

And save live you will.
    Well done!

2. Bleed Blue

June 22, 2017 at 3:32 pm

What a well rounded young man!

Well done.

3. Tosin

June 22, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Ori re pe bii t’alajo Somolu. Oluwatosin, omoore bii iyan, o si wa m’erii mi wu. O o s’ori ire l’agbara Olorun. Amin.

Ekiti kete!

• Bobosteke

June 22, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Amin o. @Tosin proudly representing.

4. Hamdalat

June 22, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Way to go young man! Well done!

5. Engoz

June 22, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Good that the ministry of science in Nigeria is investing in young brains. However, is this award based on who can pass an examination? I’m going by his answers that “the time allotted for the papers was limited.” I was expecting to see that the contestants submitted scientific projects/research to be judged. If this award is all about passing exams, I don’t think the name ‘young scientist’ is appropriate maybe best student in science. From wiki, scientists perform research toward a more comprehensive understanding of nature, including physical, mathematical and social realms. There are a lot of intelligent people in Nigeria, but where we keep failing is in the application of that knowledge-and this is who a scientist is, not because an individual can pass mathematics, biology, physics or chemistry exams. The ministry needs to go to the drawing board because the way it is set up at the moment is limiting and excludes people who can apply their knowledge. If you have better information on this award, please correct me.

• RealNigeriam

June 22, 2017 at 7:56 pm

I agree with you. Nigeria places too much emphasis on book-smart and very little emphasis on practical which is the more important part.

That is why till this day I am terrified of Nigerian doctors. I avoid them like a plague. Aside from the fact that I lost my mum because a Nigerian doctor gave her conflicting meds, I just don’t think they get enough practice on cardavas. Same with other professions. Too much cramming and book knowledge and little to no practice.

Enough said…

6. Josephine

June 22, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Amazing young man. Wishing him all the best in his bright future.