Sweet Spot

“I remember when I first charged half a million to attend an event…” – Toke Makinwa shares her Grass to Greener Pasture Story

BellaNaija.com

Media personality Toke Makinwa is one star who has constantly shared her success story with her followers in a bid to encourage them to always strive to be better.

Last night the on-air personality and author shared how she has moved from “broken to glory” and from “grass to greener pasture”.

She wrote:

Grace, amazing grace ? small girl with a very big GOD?????????????
My journey has been from broken to glory, from grass to greener pastures, from weak to strength, from unbelief to countless testimonies, from victim to victor? from being the butt of jokes to influence. From broke to smiling to the bank ??????

I remember when I first charged half a million to attend an event, @swankyjerryand I laughed cos we didn’t think the client will pay ?but they did and now let’s just say it’s been all the way up ? I was called “everywhereyougo”, laughed at but somehow we built with every rock thrown at us. Thank you to everyone who has taken a chance with me ?

It’s not been easy, but when Jesus says yes, no man can say no. Thank God we don’t look like what we’ve been thru. I remember when I was advised to withdraw in Uni, I remember when doors constantly closed in my face and I was constantly told this dream was not for me, I will cry to bed asking why me? I just want to be successful, I just want to put my father’s name in the big blue sky above, it’s unfair that he had to die before he truly lived. I just wanted more.
My name is TM, my glow up is real #Believethat ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

That TM Glow ???

I’m not where I want to be but I’m on that journey and the God that has brought me from #Misfitttohero is very real. Failure makes you hungry, pain births courage and against all odds, as long as you stay true to your calling, you’ll get there. You have to believe that there is more on the other side of fear. From Banking to radio, then television, vlogging, and then I authored a book, I have my own line of handbags and despite all that cane with It, I launched my own line of handbags @tokemakinwaluxury????

I have become one of the most influential brands out of Africa and it can only get better.

Share your story, keep telling it till the revolution becomes televised ✌️

Cheers ? to Becoming more and even after you think you’ve become all you are called to be, there’s always room to become some more.

#misfittohero #onbecomingmore???Congrats @olorisupergal welcome to the authors club, super proud of you taking this hold move

1. Fizzy

July 7, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Broke people front the most. They cannot understand that not everyone is hungry. When we told them you were being paid to appear at those parties, they said how? I remember the days of “everywhere you go and referring to you as MTN.” Look who is balling now. Go Tokstarr. The Lord is your sheppard.

• Smh

July 8, 2018 at 1:00 pm

No be only sheppard, na shepherd’s pie. Talking about broke people when you can’t even spell basic words.

• Fizzy

July 9, 2018 at 12:56 am

Keep shaking your head until you break your neck while being a dictionary. Asshole.

• Smh

July 9, 2018 at 9:54 am

Illiterate ?

• Biker Chic

July 9, 2018 at 3:04 pm

@smh, For not spelling ‘shepherd’ right? I think your life’s problems are bigger and heavier than your weight in Kilograms o.

2. Miss Smart

July 7, 2018 at 6:34 pm

One can learn a lot from her story!

3. Indeed

July 7, 2018 at 8:05 pm

“I become one of the most influential brands out of Africa…” This woman needs to see a Doctor before she hurts herself.

4. CocoI

July 7, 2018 at 10:42 pm

I often wonder if she having a huge laugh or she truly believes in the garbage she spills. She can’t be serious, is she?

5. varojollofusa

July 8, 2018 at 12:47 am

Small girl with a very big/old God….Hmmmm

• Fizzy

July 9, 2018 at 12:58 am

Is your Dada a client?

6. Osa

July 8, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Toksatrrr!!!! You gotta love this girl

7. Tee

July 8, 2018 at 12:48 pm

She easily wears millions of naira per outfit, first class flights , most of her designer shoes/bags run into millions of naira … I am not a hater I just have a problem with you claiming it’s all from attending events etc no hun don’t mislead these young girls please your “brand” is not funding your lifestyle. Thank you bye.

• Lilo

July 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Don’t trust any small girl with a big God. The more you look the less you see. Lol. She talks too much I doubt she is at peace with herself with all her millions talk

• 9ja

July 9, 2018 at 5:39 am

@Tee, once folks start off with “I am not a hater…” rest assured they are about to hate. LOL!

Don’t know Toke apart from what I see on SM, but she hardly has a face or body that would have guys expending (in your own words) “millions of naira per outfit, first class flights , most of her designer shoes/bags run into millions of naira”! So abegi ease up on the 1-track “Every-Successful-Naija-Gal-Must-Have-A-Rich-Suitor” mentality.

• Osa

July 9, 2018 at 5:46 am

dont mind them. Jealous cows

• chin chung

July 9, 2018 at 12:24 pm

As much as I love Toke, her energy, how shes thick-skinned and how she’s gone through the worse of life but I do agree that her brand does not fund her lifestyle and this is not me being a hater this is just stating fact!

• Dayo

July 9, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Ching Chung (and Tee), if Toke is actually being paid N500K for an appearance (and possibly more these days), then I would respectfully suggest that her “brand” (whatever it is) more than pays for her Instagram lifestyle. After all, it’s not like she’s riding around in Rolls or flying in private jets.

8. tunmi

July 9, 2018 at 3:44 am

Was all of this to congratulate olorisupergal on her book? Oh dear goodness

9. ani

July 9, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Here is the truth – Many Nigerians define success by how much money they are worth. They don’t understand or value the idea that 10000 Naira you earn through honest means is way better than 1 million through shady dealings. It’s a big issue in our society and value system and one of the major problems affecting the country. Stop glamorizing runs, or money that you get from sucking up to people that robbed our Nation. A lot of young celebrities glamorize their net worth and what they have been able to accomplish, but there are such big gaps in the success stories – E.g Sujimoto. We aren’t buying it and no number of epistles on Instagram will make it OK. Take your blood money and olosho money and be going. I certainly hope it’s worth it. Finally, the luxury items in toke’s closet are not funded by a hand bag line or appearances. She has a long history of male sponsors. Stop deceiving you naïve girls and boys.

Please BN post my comment…it’s the least you can do

• TheRealist

July 10, 2018 at 2:49 am

Dude, at least we witnessed that she wrote a bestseller that sold out even in dollars and pounds, what have you done? `Nigerians and their angry preachy judgmental drivel. Smdh