Are You Occupied With Your Occupation?

Sometimes we wind up working somewhere we never dreamt of. Sometimes we find ourselves in a profession we did not choose, performing tasks we never imagined we would while our true talents and passions lay dormant!  This is okay. It is okay to work while we wait, to work while we search, to do something we may detest (as long as it is not in opposition of our morals or integrity) while we look forward to doing the things we love.

Part of discipline, part of being an adult, part of being a responsible individual sometimes means that we sacrifice our wants for our needs. It means that we grit our teeth and bear it while we look for a way out, while we save, while we fulfill our obligations. It means that we pay the bills while we try and figure out how to make our dreams a reality. It means we search for any odd job to do while we wait for the one we want to become vacant. It means that we stay in school (because being a student is an occupation in and of itself) and see our course through in anticipation of the opportunities that may occur as a result of the said degree/effort.

The important thing is not what you are doing, but it is what you are doing about what you are doing. When you detest your vocation, search for a new one. If the job you want does not exist, begin to determine what industry it would fit into and create opportunities to create your dream job – work towards making it a reality. Write down your dreams and figure out ways to turn them into achievable goals, write down your goals and tick off the steps as you achieve them one by one.

If we are at a dead end job that does not mean our world has ended. That does not mean we ourselves must be dead. We can be alive on the inside, plotting and planning and even using the resources at our disposal (be it fast office internet, networking opportunities, or even just a desk and time on our hands) to work towards what we really want to spend our time achieving.

It is of primary importance not to get overly occupied with our current occupations. Not to lose sight of our visions, to sleep on our dreams, to forget that we ever wanted to do something beyond our current existence. It is important to live in the present and make the best of it, but never forget to work towards our future.

I know a girl who works as a technical assistant by day and a seamstress and designer by night, a friend who is pursuing her masters while baking and decorating desserts between papers and tests. I know a man who is a computer analyst from 9 – 5,  a world renowned blogger and amazing photographer from 5 – 9. One must realize that it is possible to have work and happiness simultaneously and they need not always be embodied within the same activity, and it is okay nay best to learn to experience these things separately while you wait for the two concepts to be married together.

Do not get overly occupied with your occupation. Do not think that just because you are at a certain stage in life, you are destined and doomed to perform there for life. The old adage says ‘as long as there is life, there is hope,’ and it is entirely correct. As long as you are alive there is always hope that your situation can change. There will always be a chance to do and achieve and become some version of what you anticipate for yourself.

There are many a seen and unseen reason for why you might be where you are. It might be to test your faith, which in and of itself builds perseverance. It might be to just get enough years work experience to qualify you for the position you crave. It might be to teach you patience or technical skills that you are unconsciously assimilating in your current place of business.

Let us encourage one another not to get too occupied with our current occupations.

What is your current status? Are you where you want to be? Are you stuck in a waiting room? Has that current or past seemingly “dead end” job provided valuable lessons, money in the bank or has it just been a complete waste of time? Are you currently living your dream? If you are, would it have been just as beneficial if it had happened sooner?

Please share your thoughts and stories on the situation, so together we can learn, grow, be encouraged and gain the courage to dream and achieve even while we work and believe.

Photo creditevents.leagueofblackwomen.org

29 Comments on Are You Occupied With Your Occupation?
  • Retrochic November 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

i have always had a very strong passion in entertainment, writing, modelling radio presenting, but i am currently working in an oil and gas coy, i feel like am not doing what i was called to do, because i just feel like the Enteryainment is my life, buh getting ahead in that industryu hanst been easy, tried going to a few radio stations to audition, they just can see above my fine face, not wanting to sound proud, but its the truth they just dont take me serious, the system is simply not professional, dont know what to do, but meanwhile will keep going to work, and earn my salary!

• Teris November 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

“…they just can see above my fine face…”
      LOL!!

• Berry Choco-Latté November 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

Great article. I’m at a crossroads right now trying to figure out what to do next. I may just have to do like the article says and while biding time for my dream career, find a job to keep myself active. I just kinda feel that at this point I should be working on my career goals, not jumping from job to job… Gotta decide to quickly

• Kate November 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

I work with a telecommunication company i also have a boutique, salon, make up and nail studio.i am a make up artist and a nail technician then i have stylists who work for me. My business needs my attention but i am not giving it all the attention it deserves because of my job. The truth is that i got every single dime i used in setting up this business from my job. Now all i want to do is to resign and face my business but so many people keep advicing me not to. I am tired of the job and dont give it my best anymore. I have worked there for 5 years and have never loved the job for one day. But i have a serious passion for my own business and am always very happy and fulfilled whenever i am there. i look forward to resigning very soon and facing my passion squarely. BN thanks for this article.

• anonymous November 15, 2012 at 9:56 am

i really do not like my job been thinking of what to do asides this job but everybody keep asking what my passion is and i really do not know!!!

• Zednani November 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That’s another problem. We don’t always know what our passions are… But maybe if you take time to observe yourself and to realize times that you are most happy, most alive, most satisfied and what you are thinking about or doing at that point in time – that should be an indicator as to what your passions are.

• joey November 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for this helpful thought. I’m actually in the same situation as to not knowing exactly what my passion is. Will get thinking about it asap.

• hauwa November 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks for this Bella. i have ample time, a good desk and speeedy internet. yet i complain of my dead end job – when i can create my future from my dreams and desires. Time to write that Business Plan!!!

• Zednani November 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

YES!! Good luck with it. :)

• Dare Koleaje November 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

Go bless BN for this writeup(Amen)

• ruth November 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

most times i 4gt my drims coz all i tink of is paying my bills,wich my job does 4 me.buh i tink its tym 2 pause&giv me a smile by revisiting my drims.

• Idak November 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

Better pursue your dreams and passion before bills, kids and wife start coming.

• Dahlia Voka November 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

Right now…i am in a job i dreamt to be.Before then I was in job i didnt like just to keep myself busy of course the job was helping me to pay my bills.But i was still dreaming of going back in the logistics industry, after 8 months of working in the properties industry. a great opportunity knock onmy door, that is the job i am currently in.
    I think you can be where you are now, but there is still hope to have your dream job/career as long as you have faith in God

• LPS November 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Wow..this is what I need right now. Trying to break into the Project Management environment but still at home waiting for that call why I run my Personal Shopper biz. Thanks to the writer of this inspiring article

• Jay November 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

A wise man once said that “the richest place on earth is the graveyard”. Why? Because it’s full of many books that were never written, songs that were never sung, businesses that were never started etc..

Live life with a God-given purpose from today and make sure you die “empty”.

• Amale November 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I have passion for graphics, decoration, baking, cooking and also events and management but how do i go about it.

• oghogho November 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

this piece has helped to re enforce my desire to start my own unique blog that would address a major sector in our economy, my present job of six months has spurred me towards this and has fired a passion for the industry and ideas on how to better it keeps pouring in daily,i am thankful to God for giving me this job and opening a side of me i have never seen or envisaged was inherent!!

• Alex inwang November 15, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Thank you very much BN for this article. I really appreciate. Right from my childhood i’ve always had passion for the madia industry and I know vividly that that is my calling, bt the fact is that when ever I want to take a step to chase this passion of mine, my parent and my other family members will always want to restrain me from it, because they want me to become an accountant, and right now am studying accounting in the higher institution, but am not finding the course interesting. I just don’t know what to do. Should I rebel and take my decision that is go and chase my dream? Please I need your advice. Thank you.

• laura November 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It depends on how strong the passion is, what ideas do you have, and how can they translate into a career or business that is marketable. In this economy, I will advise, at least finish your degree, get your certificate. Let that be a Plan B. Something you can do, while you fine tune your dreams. To drop out now, and head in another direction, with no landing pad, or soft footing, will be sheer foolishness. Unless your family has bucket loads of money you can spend whilst you work things out. Its good to have dreams, but you have to temper them with reality sometimes. So you dont land too hard on your backside.

• nchimu November 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm

great article, im in an attachment i didntnt expect to com my way.i feel this place is inappropraite for my career because im given very litttle work. the noly thing that keeps me going is the fact that God brought me here and im waiting patiently on him to show me the jewel in it.Let us learn to wait and trust in God.

• Baby dee November 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Ok, so tired of the word “passion”. Can y’all find another word to describe how much you love something?

• Afam November 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

This writer is truly blessed and is a forward thinking person. I think exactly the same way, i was a geography graduate from U.I worked in a dead end job for close to a year as an administrator tried to continue my event business after university but had no success and ran off to England for a masters degree not to be like everyone else but to get a profession as my boss told me i would never be nothing with a geography degree cos its not a profession. I took it as a challenge as my passion for the entertainment and events seemed to be mediocre at the time and required pedigree and connections. I have since graduated with an environmental management masters degree as well as a Health and safety qualification in less than two years. The funds for the latter qualification i raised myself by hustling and gaining experience with the aim of practising and gaining relevant experience in England even though people saw it as impossible i persevered and im proud to say that I work for an environmental consultancy in england gaining all the experience i dreamt of, hopefully to be applied along my entertainment passion back home in the near future. All you have to do is keep your eyes on the prize and make sure every day you take a step towards achieving those long term goals and i guarantee you IT CAN BE DONE.

• Zednani November 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thank you for reading! And thank you for sharing your success story. It truly is inspirational and a good reminder to keep our eyes on the prize and work hard towards achieving what we want!

• Afam November 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

one more thing work smart not hard focus and pray

• nita November 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I found my passion when I got pushed to d limit due to unemployment. Finding it was nt easy bcos I considered myself gud in many tins but I did nt know which one to turn into a business. Meanwhile I had a gr8 idea dt I abandoned to seek 4 a job so I could get some financial security in a job. To find my passion I refused to be frustrated by unemployment after all I had spent training 4 a good job! I asked myself ‘wat will become of me if I don’t get a job?’ Can I be useful if I don’t get employment? I got more ideas 4 my business n wrote it down…n I gradually developed my business idea, wrote a proposal n gave it to some successful business pple to look at n de approved! I tot money was a problem but I am mking progress. I realised dt der is no perfect time to start dt big dream. Like nike ‘just do it’ d journey of a thousand miles begins wit a step, take d first step 2day. I am in d process of incorporating my very own company. I figure dt wit my professional background, I stand a better chance getting a contract than a job! The future is bright…n d land(naija) is green for new ideas n businesses…

• lyndah November 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm

i have a strong passion for beauty makeovers and hair making, but i have not been able to make up my mind towards achieving them cause my occupation in an IT company occupied me alot coupled with my education. i just got an instinct about what to do next. thanks and God bless

• Oluwatosin November 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much for the article. I got a Job recently but it has been hell working for the company. A times, its like I do not know what I am doing and that sucks! I guess praying, not giving up and doing things to get me there works too.
    P.S: It could really be annoying in the Labor market

• Nkiru November 19, 2012 at 6:06 am

Brilliant article.

• Imu December 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

this article was amazing! God bless you for writing this article!