Hear Reactions by Nigerians on if an African Footballer Comes Out as Gay

Posted on Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 at 4:44 PM

By BellaNaija.com

Sports 360 on Vox Africa - January 2014 - BellaNaija

“It’s Unafrican”

“If the player is in Manchester United, I will not support the club again”

“It will be shameful”.

Nigerians are still sharing their thoughts on same sex couples. On a recent episode of Sports360 on Vox Africa, viewers were asked to state if their views on African players will change if they come out of the closet.

The conversation was inspired by former German footballer Thomas Hitzlsperger who recently announced that he is gay.

Watch and listen!

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 29 Comments on “Hear Reactions by Nigerians on if an African Footballer Comes Out as Gay”

Comments
    • Chic January 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM

They should have asked that Battabox chick to go out on the street and do the asking for them those answers would have been epic!

• bubbles January 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM

lool! azin

• e-bukun January 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

So does someone’s personal choices now stop their ability to function professionally? At least for something like football. Haba o

• John January 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM

How people’s sexuality affects their performance in life I would never understand, just like how the color of your skin affects your performance in life. Christianity or Islam was never our culture but now it has become our culture and every other thing isn’t….we are the ones teaching the west the same bible they introduced to us. As for me, my girlfriend and family members, we have decided to stick with LOVE cos HATE is too much a burden to bear.

• Bukky January 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You are just contradicting yourself all over the place! So
        does the African culture ” your culture” support homosexuality? Who
        has asked you to hate them? Diss agreement is NOT Hate! No
        homosexuality in Africa dosent mean we HATE homosexuals… We hate
        the act of homosexually and refuse to accept it to be a normality
        thereby influencing our children and corrupting our society. If you
        are, keep it private kappish!!!

• John January 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Bukky, if I was gay I would be on the streets and fighting back like a roaring lion so keep that opinion of if I was gay I should keep it to myself. I don’t think anyone in life needs your approval to be who they really are live their lives. Your refusal to accept people’s freedom and forcing them to denounce who they are, is an outright hate. Please don’t coat your Hatred with the old school saying “we don’t hate the people, we hate the act”. It really is sad to hear you say no homosexuality in Africa, it just goes around to show your level of ignorance on the matter and until you can prove how homosexuals are influencing your kids and corrupting your society, or prove that heterosexuals have not or would not have anal sex with their girlfriends or wives, then you really have no point. Research has really proven that lots of homophobic people on this earth are internalized homophobia, I would think for the girls, maybe a gay man stole their boyfriends or it’s just outright jealousy. I love girls and very pretty one at that and no one on this earth can make me sleep with another man or give up my girlfriend for a fellow man but my watchword is “Live and let Live” as it’s not in our place to decide how others use their body, who they fall in love with or who choose to be with as partners….Kappish

• Franfan January 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Referring to gay people as “homobastard” is not hate? What if a white person says they will stop supporting a club if a black man joined circa 1985? Or a white person referred to a black people as “niggerbastard”?

• Ikido January 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

GBAM!!!!
          This says it all

• looters January 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Thank you. I do not understand this culture they have been singing out. So much hate it’s sickening. My heart goes out to the gay community in Africa especially Nigeria

• i no send January 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM

@ John …standing ovation..that was an epic come back

• Iyke January 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM

You are no better that the GAY men and women who are working everyday to contribute to the socio – economic development of their respective area codes. So sad at the level of ignorance and lack of objective analysis of the issue at hand…Most folks have not yet discovered through the well regarded process of living life…the art and empowerment of discernment…Wow….I don’t imagine these folks to be more than the gathered, if not borrowed sum of what they’ve assembled and intended…arranged and now display of themselves…..hoping to captivate and arrest my unwilling embrace and attention… Thank you!

• sis eko January 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Nigerians are so ignorant its frustrating. What is this culture we talk about?? We use culture as a defense only when it suits our evil agenda. How does a players sexual orientation hinder his performance or skills as a player ???? We also scream religion and “we are a religious people” maybe that is our problem we have taken religion to be something else. I’m a proud African and I love the great things (culture wise) that separates us from the Western world but people please educate yourself and stop this African mentality.

• Iris January 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I wish there was a Like button for this

• Ada Nnewi January 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM

me too

• FJD January 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM

LMAAOOOO!!!! @LAST CALLER HE GOAT sleeping with all goatsssss…..The end of your career the day you come out as homobastards

• dapo Osuntuyi January 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Manchester United already has one gay player Lindergard

• Ade O January 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

SIGH….Africans and their ‘African’ way of thinking. So it is acceptable as part of our culture for a 60 year old to marry a 15 year old but 2 adults can’t practice same sex marriage? Personally I would not do it BUT if someone who is old enough to make his or her own choice decides to, I don’t see what the problem is. The real question no one seems to be able to answer is, what is the AFRICAN culture? Do we still have one?

• Poison Ivy January 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Nigerians and there quest to fit in(really,supporting gay right)I don’t understand the justification at all……its absolutely disgusting & against God(If u consider yourself a Christian then you ought to stand for his laws)I just pity all d westernized nigerians#Godiswatchingyouall#FOR THE LORD KNOWETH THEM THAT ARE HIS!!
      P.S;If you don’t see any wrong in this act then your are closet gay john kappish!!

• tobenna January 22, 2014 at 8:42 AM

You must be a closeted lesbian to know that John is a closeted homosexual…

• Abiola January 22, 2014 at 9:17 AM

To people like you screaming ‘it is against God’….is it not the same God that asked you to leave judgement up to HIM?
        Let’s stop using religion especially the bible as an excuse to promote hate, please.
        So, stealing, lying, adultery and all the rest are not ‘against God’ , let’s ask Goodluck Jonathan to criminalize those as well. Since, we have embarked on the journey of criminalizing ‘sins’.

• Ada Nnewi January 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Aunty poison ivy, if you lie, steal, fornicate, gossip, if you are envious of your neighbour, disrespectful to people, selfish, mean or rude, you are not allowed to call yourself a Child of God so please take several seats at National Stadium and shove your self righteous attitude up your a##!

• Nneoma January 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM

The only question I have to ask is if your parents were gay, how would you have been?

• Franfan January 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I wouldn’t have been here. However, my parents are STRAIGHT. I wouldn’t be happy if I found out my dad is a closeted gay.

• olori Tari January 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Brilliant comeback !

• Leye January 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Nigerians and their forced accents ALL The time. Geesh.

• ZDA January 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I am indifferent about this gay right/ law palaver. My only concern is this: In the West, they always seem to have a way of managing things like this, people wear chains, rings or signs that shows their state of health (diebetic, astmatic etc) so when in crisis all you need is to check for a sign on the body for a recurring illness. Now, in Nigeria, we are not that exposed. People with this conditions dont carry any helpful information on them, maybe cos they dont want to be treated with stigma, maybe not. My point is, if we allow these homosexuals, i am sure, they will start toasting every tom dick and harry they see, not minding that, they might not be gays. Loads of people have been toasted and attempted rape based on the silence on this matter before now. and yes, i will know, i have witnessed several. Even when it was clear that this victim liked girls too much to be gay, this gay man just kept on persisting and disturbing him, harrassing and all. when the staright guy who was just a teenager got fed up, he told us and we went and beat mr gay up with a sound warning!! yes!! that is the problem we will face if there is no law to caution this. Nigerian borrow laws from the west and even do more than the originators them selves. Religion is an example!!!

• Bella January 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM

The guy is a former – key word former … former German footballer Thomas Hitzlsperger – so my own is why didn’t he come out as gay when he is /was still actively playing. Nawa for dis gayism o. chai. Personally we do are not allowed to judge, as this has been said before is dis, don’t affect me or my space and don’t try to push it down my throat with your choice of sexuality. This is too much o.

• ThatCalmGuy January 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM

@Ade O- tnx 4 asking dat question. None of our dear fellow africans are attemptin to ans it tho.
      What is d african culture and do we still av 1?

• eyong March 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

What is this thing people keep talking about Culture and Religion?

Christianity is NOT an African religion, let’s just get that straight. Secondly, culture changes. It has always done so, and will forever do so… So, I’m trying to understand where that falls in the conversation.