Sweet Spot

Amaechi Okobi shares Heartwarming Story about a Woman selling Secondhand Clothes with BIG Aspirations for her Daughter

BellaNaija.com

‎Group Head, Communications & External Affairs at Access Bank, Amaechi Okobi shared an inspiring post on his Instagram page about a woman he met at Kotangora Market who, with her trade in second-hand clothes, sponsored her daughter’s university education in Covenant University and the daughter is currently in the U.S to further her education.

He said he and his colleagues had visited the market to discuss the benefits of saving with the traders. There he met Stella whose 21-year old daughter, Omo lives and works in California.

Stella said she had “hustled for her daughter to go to Covenant University because the girls that went there did not have two heads.”

See the heartwarming post below:

View this post on Instagram

This tee shirt has a helicopter on it and I just got it at Katangowa Market – a popular market where they sell Okrika aka Bend Down Select aka Secondhand clothing. But that's not the story. My Access Bank colleagues and I are out again today talking to Nigerians about the importance of saving to ensure a secure tomorrow. Stella (Mama Omo) has a shop in this market and sells baby clothes. We spoke for about 45 minutes about Nigeria, politics, fluctuating exchange rates, the importance of education and the power of God. Turns out Stella has a 21 year old daughter, Omo, who lives and works in California. She shared pictures and videos of her daughter on the plane, in her office, and in her flat. She told me of how she hustled for her daughter to go to Covenant University because the girls that went there did not have two heads. She said her husband did not help much because he never believed Omo would get in. Omo graduated and through a school program got a visa to go to the US for further education. She said she missed her but told me that she chatted with her daily via WhatsApp. The whole time she did not stop talking about how wonderful God has been. "I did not know where the money would come from, but I knew God would do it for me." Moved, I decided to help her market by picking up a shirt. This woman said she would not take money from me and insisted I take another shirt. Of course I wasn't about to do that. I asked for her number so i could send credit to ensure she stayed in touch with Omo. She said no. I asked to take a picture with her and she refused. Several times. She said that my wife would get jealous, as no woman is so understanding that she would tolerate a picture of her husband and another woman. I launched a charm offensive, telling her that I wanted share the picture of a beautiful Nigerian with a heart of gold. A Nigerian who believed that with hard work and the power of God, nothing is impossible. She wasn't having it. No picture. So, this is a boring picture of me and a second hand tee shirt Stella gave me. Shout out to @edi_gurl who was there and took the picture. @myaccessbank #randomactsofkindness #savetoday #ilovenigeria #luke137

A post shared by Amaechi Okobi (@amaechiokobi) on

Photo Credit: Amaechi Okobi

1. Ranyinudo

June 15, 2017 at 12:07 am

Wow! Very impressive. With God all things are possible

2. Gerry

June 15, 2017 at 7:55 am

I’m sorry to be a killjoy but is there anything wrong with living within your standard? I want good education for my children but will I overdo myself because I want to keep up with the Joneses? No! While Federal universities might be considered not the best, some of us graduated from there and are doing very well. I do not think going to Covenant makes one a better person. This is just my opinion. I salute her courage though

• Mawi

June 15, 2017 at 8:46 am

I don’t think her intention is to keep up with the Joneses. I say this because no one who is trying to live such a life will sell okrika at a market. She would have been trying to do something more fanciful,like the Joneses. She wanted her daughter to go through school without the hassles of government universities. What is wrong in that? As long as her source of income is legit, please what is wrong in investing in your own child if u can afford it? You say she’s overdoing herself? How do u know that? She never said so. Do u know the amount in her account ni?
      I know it’s your opinion, but you are being too presumptuous and judgemental. You don’t know her nor her story nor her life.

• Lovelyn

June 15, 2017 at 10:24 am

bad belle, carry go
      is it your money or did she beg you

3. oooooooops

June 15, 2017 at 8:42 am

@Gerry yes you are killjoy and hey!thats what you are! lol. Everyone has a right to their aspirations, and if hers was to send her daughter to that school, Heyyyyyy Bro/Sis, you have to take several seats and watch her !

• Ayo

June 15, 2017 at 8:51 am

Thanks jare…my thoughts exactly!

4. Ayo

June 15, 2017 at 8:48 am

@Gerry,we are nt the same and even as parents,our perspectives differ.. Have u heard of sacrificial parents? They are not your everyday parent.They give their children more than they can afford,not because they want to keep up with the joneses but because that is what they desire for their children..I know one or two of such parents.As long as they do not commit crime to pay or “keep up with the joneses”…I think its totally fine.

• Toughlove

June 17, 2017 at 11:07 am

This right here is wordonmarble. I have such a parent…[email protected], s/he doesn’t know what love is all about. My brother’s secondary school fees was about 4x my mum’s monthly salary yet how she paid those fees alongside ours and other responsibilities was a miracle…. yes I know it has affected her in a way cos if you like buy her anything her expensive. She can’t tell the difference cos she never used them.
      Every day I keep parying for God to bless me so I can give her the best of everything she desires.
      They don’t have 2 heads sounds familiar in my house