Scoop

Yagazie Emezi Asks ‘How Can an Introvert Enjoy Lagos?’ in her Latest Vlog! WATCH

BellaNaija.com

Yagazie EmeziIs it possible to be an introvert and still enjoy the ever-bustling streets of Lagos? Photographer and artist Yagazie Emezi thinks so … but she’s not quite sure how! In her opinion, introverts aren’t shy, they just need time alone.

• Do you hate ‘small talk’?
  • Do you need and enjoy alone time often? No talking, just music, or chilling?
  • Do you need a ‘break’ from talking to friends? Is once a week enough?

Those are her criteria for calling someone an introvert. Watch her latest vlog, asking how you cope!

Watch

1. thirdeyed

October 20, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Lolz…… funny enough i just had a convo with a friend few minutes ago on my introversion. He was of the opinion that i should make excuse for my introvert nature..
    I am the type that could stay indoor for weeks and wouldnt be bothered, i practically love solitude if not for my job.
    The truth is i can talk, discuss anything in writing but verbally not. In a social gathering(i dont attend much anyway), the few i had been, i was practically drag to tag along.). I was the guy who doesnt chatup in social circles,, i will simply hole up somewhere and just enjoy myself. not that i am shy or something i just cant place why people must always talk. I only seep in a sentences or two in a discussion.

• LouiseOsas

October 21, 2015 at 5:08 am

This is so me!! I honestly love being an introvert! & I love every single aspect of my life; however, I have been made to feel like I’m a weirdo and my behaviour is abnormal! It gets to the point that I cry myself to sleep because of the comments people make. I have been mistaken for being PAINFULLY SHY on so many occasions and it’s ANNOYS me when people ask “Why are you so quiet?” & my friends just but in & say “Oh, she’s just shy!”… I’m just like, WTF? WHO ASKED YOU!

I’m currently studying law so you can imagine the amount of times people have asked me “Are you sure you can be a lawyer? You don’t even like to talk”… ??? There are loads of things I can do with a law degree!

But truth be told, I love being an introvert & I’m learning not go care what people have to say about this character of mine that I absolutely love! 😀

• the f button

October 21, 2015 at 11:15 pm

You are not the only one and will never be. Love yourself. I wish I could get your number for us to talk sometime. I am an introvert and love been with introverts. Never be little yourself, never feel ordinary remember the great people this world who made a change are either leftists, introverts or geeks. Who were considered abrnomal.

2. Fafo

October 21, 2015 at 3:10 am

Lol, so ppl like me actually exist? Exactly, must we talk about every nonversation just for the sake of chitchat?? I will blame social media though, it got us all soo close that it has actually estranged many of us. You check out ur Facebook, twitter,whatsapp, bbm & instagram, and you realize you are friends with loads of ppl you don’t have a personal relationship with asides the occasional liking(Facebook), retweeting(twitter), pinging(bbm), whats apping, and loving(instagram) of posts. Ppl barely make the. effort anymore. Social media has made many antisocial and socially lazy & awkward.When you even make the effort to go out for events, everyone is facedown tapping into their androids, microsoft and iOS that makes you wonder why you didn’t just have a group chat? Remember the days of writing heartfelt letters and actually visiting friends & family??? Hanging out and actually communicating? Social media actually meant no harm, but it has estranged many. P.S: The vloggers strong Igbo accent though, admire the fact she didn’t find the need to westernize hers as many engage in.

• Cinderella Man

October 21, 2015 at 3:15 am

Guy!!, na sense you type so mehn, Almost like you read my thought. Was having this conversation with a colleague not long ago. You hit the nail on the head. Three gbosa! May God help our generation.

• blah blah

October 21, 2015 at 8:34 am

That is your definition of an igbo accent? Her accent sounded normal to me.

• #THE_RECLUSE

October 21, 2015 at 10:25 am

@Fafo I agree, in addition to all you’ve said, the one that hurts me the most is when the so-called friends and people in general believe sending you a mere ‘HBD, LLNP’ on your birthday is a justification.[Many don’t even take time to spell out the hbd llnp]…Recently, I simply private my posts to avoid all the charade and cliché. People don’t even give gifts anymore and he deh pain me well,(sorry to deviate) Even on wedding, them go carry them big heads to come chop basmati rice, no gift, there justification is a silly post on facebook, IG or BBM. {ain’t no1 got time for that fa} P:S: Pardon my rant, e just pain me ghan ni. Like Yagazie said, don’t ask me how I am doing, when we both know you don’t really…. caRe.. #The_Recluse

• Bleed Blue

October 21, 2015 at 3:07 pm

That “HBD LLNP GBU IJN” movement should be subjected to complete annihilation. It’s such a lazy approach to wishing someone well., and I will NEVER understand what time people have saved from not typing out Happy Birthday.

3. Phemmy

October 21, 2015 at 3:31 am

No makeup, impressive, she can do without the nose ring tho…

4. Smiley

October 21, 2015 at 4:57 am

Oh, My God, that’s the best defination of my habits… i very much relate…

5. californiabawlar

October 21, 2015 at 5:16 am

Two words. People watching.

6. ElessarisEllendil

October 21, 2015 at 6:26 am

Step 1. Get a PS4, keep your game titles up to date.

Step 2. Get a good Laptop. (Always make sure it has an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, Intel is shite!)

Step 3. Get an internet modem and subscription.

Step 4. Download Football Manager.

What else is needed in life? I mean, I can even order food from the comfort of my home these days. I’m grateful to be living in the 21st century. Its an introvert’s dream.

7. Tee

October 21, 2015 at 8:00 am

I chat whenever I have the chance, maybe in the office, but apart from that, I can’t keep more than a friend per time and I don’t hang out with any. I love, love, love my life. Thanx Yagazie, we exist too!

8. Fafo

October 21, 2015 at 8:07 am

Smirk, I see you are apparently an ogbologbo for the matter. Lol. interesting steps though…

9. Sisi

October 21, 2015 at 8:36 am

Hmmm, the story of my life. I recently moved back to Nigeria and was just wondering how an introvert like me can actually network and enjoy Lagos (responsibly). I don’t even have friends to hang out with (the one friend I’ve got is married and expecting).

• Sugar

October 21, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Lets be friends am an introvert too 🙂

• Sisi

October 22, 2015 at 11:02 am

Lol, lets be introverted friends 🙂

• Sugar

October 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

ok nice meeting you sisiiiiii send me a mail on [email protected] 🙂
      Lets become online pals

10. Mystique

October 21, 2015 at 8:50 am

I’m very introverted too….. I love people but would rather be by myself. If I have to talk, I take out a day, talk as much as I want then for the next month or two I don’t bother socializing. Parties, weddings, movies, even going to buy groceries is like a major task for me. When people come visiting (which they rarely do) after a few minutes, I’m praying for them to leave cos i get overwhelmed. It’s stressful making new friends. Thing is, I want to be in a healthy relationship and get married but how can I achieve that when I barely leave my house? What do I do?? Any pointers?

• miss Pynk

October 21, 2015 at 11:03 am

Go to the gym…many people have few expectations of socialising…but it’s actually a good place to meet people and watch people. You will easily identify the lousy people and you will be able to discern who many be serious people etc.

Don’t fo6 and join a gym with one treadmill oh- join a real gym with equipment etc…if you dont find a man- @ least you will make some friends and end up with an A plus body.

pynk360.com

• Mystique

October 21, 2015 at 11:28 am

Thanks darling….. Will consider it

11. Fresh cute mum

October 21, 2015 at 8:57 am

Introverts role the internet world, bbm, fb, twitter, blog visitors e.t.c you see most assuming/living the life they wish they had in real life on social media. Big and mighty in their make believe world but as tiny as an ant in real life. Smh. I remember when i finally met one “mr. I-have-right-vocabs in the world and i can Shuts Down anybody anytime” of nairaland and he couldn’t even talk to me, lets not even go to his looks phew! These are people that make you feel like nothing on social media.

Ehn! Please, if i want to send in an article to belle naira for discussion how do i go About it. Thanx

• Tosin

October 21, 2015 at 10:06 am

😉
      true. love ‘socializing’ with fellow dorks on the internet.

• Hmmm

October 21, 2015 at 10:08 am

tiny as an ant in real life???
      Abeg speak for the individual you met, rather than generalize that most introverts are “tiny as an ant in real life” Smh

12. Fresh cute mum

October 21, 2015 at 8:59 am

*article to bellanaija damn! auto correct has finished me

13. Gberie

October 21, 2015 at 10:44 am

sinzu

14. fafo

October 21, 2015 at 11:05 am

• #THE_RECLUSE

October 21, 2015 at 11:13 am

15. P

October 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Being an introvert can very difficult in Lagos, people would always want to make you talk especially in social gathering like church, work place and if you try to skip such activity in order to avoid their trouble, they would see you as some sort of wired person. They will never show a mercy to your predisposition.

16. see all of em

October 21, 2015 at 3:10 pm

see all of em, always trying to belong!

I have noticed majority of these so called introverts are the main ones on BN and online sites trying to look for friends, trying to look for dates online, always clogging BN sites with comments….as they dont have any real life friend.

Internet and BN is their friend. So you see them here every time.

You better go out there and get things done.

No one was born an introvert or extrovert. The experiences of life and socialization (from your family, school, church, environment, choice of friends)…shaped you into who you are today.

No con dey do JJC make agbero, bus conductor and drivers cheat you for road or for life.

Even the bible says the kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violent taketh it by force.

Nothing in life comes with ease my friend. Be doing introvert and be waiting for job to come meet you in your father house, husband to come meet you in your fathers house or contract/millions to come meet you where you dey. You berra go out there and get things done.

Life and its potentials is for people who are rugged and risk takers.

i talk my own jejely

• shawn

October 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Thank you. you’re right see all of em. I also think some people might retrieve into their corner if they’re suffering from depression and they don’t even know they’re depressed. So being alone sorta gives them that comfort and not venture out. I personally have my days when i want to be indoor and have my “me time”. But to stay indoor all the time and not explore nature and what life has to offer? nahh i can’t do that. I just can’t.

• [email protected]

October 21, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I find it odd that you understand that some people may suffer from depression, and yet you agree with the comment above. ‘See all of em’ is the kind of person that would tell you to “snap out of your depression, go out and be happy!” because you know, it’s that easy and “nobody is born depressed”. Smh.

• [email protected]

October 21, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Why can’t you just accept the fact that people have different personalities? It’s a lot more difficult for some people to socialize than others. Instead of putting them down and making fun of them, why not try to understand what makes them that way? People like you just makes things worse. If someone is an introvert or suffers from social anxiety and uses online dating playforms or tries to make friends via social media, what’s wrong with that? The world could use a lot more understanding and acceptance of those we consider ‘different’.

• [email protected]

October 21, 2015 at 8:56 pm

*platforms

17. Kemi

October 23, 2015 at 2:56 am

I can sure relate!
    There’s scientific test that helps determine if one is an extrovert or introvert…It’s called the lemon test. find it below:
    draft.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1206529748576874902#editor/target=post;postID=2616261862975603853;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

• Kemi

October 23, 2015 at 2:59 am

lovinglivingandblessing.blogspot.com/search/label/Personality

18. Lemibare

October 26, 2015 at 8:17 pm

am also an introvert and I don’t know how to get out of it, I always bite my tongue. pole do complain of my xter and always judge my gentility as a snake under d green grass. do I need to continue like dat?

19. onyii

October 31, 2015 at 10:40 am

I recently moved to lagos myself.work brought me to lagos and being an introvert I havnt been able to social much with people around here.everyone I know is either a colleague or a neighbour. …no friend and I don’t even know how to change that…most times I am holed up in my dark room with my phone or laptop after work and weekends.would like to meet people, maybe people who share my interest or are like me too. P.S it’s nice reading that I am not alone….that they are people like me.

20. Ufuoma

December 2, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Its nice to know than i’m not the only one. Why must people always expect you to talk in all social situations. Well i’m happy with my life. If u say i’m too quiet the you’re too noisy