News

The Top 6 Bestselling OkadaBooks Authors For The Year 2016. #4 Is Quite Interesting #LiterallyWhatsHot

OkadaBooks

This year’s Top 6 bestselling okadabooks.com authors come from very diverse backgrounds.

The list includes a celebrity first time author, a fruit seller writing erotic romance stories in Hausa, an anonymous debut writer of fictional romance, a full time lawyer writing award winning novels, a blogger turned bestselling author and an international writer of passionate multicultural romance stories!

Their books have stimulated very interesting conversations across our platform this year and we are so excited not for what they have done but what they can and will do in 2017. We present the official Top 6 OkadaBooks Authors of The Year 2016.

#6 Umari Ayim

Lawyer, feminist and award winning writer Umari Ayim has been able to transform her umariayim.com blog writings into a series of powerful books that captivate audiences across Nigeria.

Her books range from the legal and powerful Gentlemen of the Bar to her award winning Twilight at Terracotta Indigo the ANA/NDDC Flora Nwapa Prize for women writing in 2011.

Her fan base is strong, her writing talent is undeniable and despite holding down a full time job as a lawyer, Umari Ayim is still killing it in the Nigerian publishing industry. Watch out for her 2017 release, the Guardian of The Fall published by Quramo Publishing.

Discover more Umari Ayim books here

#5 Naija Single Girl

Who is she? Nobody knows yet … that’s why we had to borrow a picture of Beyonce for her.

But the kick-ass funny but anonymous Naija Single Girl is no stranger when it comes to writing captivating content. Her blog, NaijaSingleGirl.com, is one of the most viewed in Nigeria. It’s where she shares her crazy experiences as a single babe surviving Nigeria. Check out her classic, My ‘Boyfriend Hunting’ Experience In COZA Church, and you will definitely be filled with spiritual laughter … it is that same enthusiasm and humor that she brought to her debut novel 29, Single and Nigerian which in a way is a fictional exaggeration of her life in Nigeria (although she might deny it).

We still don’t know who she is or what she looks like, and we are willing to offer N1,000,000 to anyone that can reveal her true identity … but knowing her hustling spirit, she might just end up revealing herself and collecting all the money. But with her book sales rising like crazy, we are pretty sure her identity will be hidden for a long time.

Read her debut novel 29, Single and Nigerian here

#4 Musa Ajayi

Musa is a testament of what happens, when you remove the middle man from the publishing process.

A fruit sales man from Nasarawa state, Musa Ajayi writes Erotic Romance novels in Hausa. His marketing strength is his ability to organize and turn his community of fans into voracious readers of his books.

So successful is Musa Ajayi, that he has introduced a brand new market of Hausa readers to the OkadaBooks platform. We even we recently hired a Hausa speaker to assist us with engaging his growing fan base. If you told me that a fruit seller in Nasarawa state writing erotic romance novels in Hausa would sell, I would have said “impossible.” But Musa Ajayi at #4 is proving it is possible! According to a 2016 article by the BBC, there is a growing population of Romance Novels writers emerging from the North and Musa Ajayi is one such author giving a strong digital voice to that movement.

Read Musa Ajayi’s erotic Hausa novels here

#3 Kiru Taye

The first time I came across a Kiru Taye book, I assumed it was one of those regular Mills and Boon romance novels I used to see scattered around my older cousin’s bedroom. Until I read it and realized that her book was not normal romance, but the 50 shades of Grey type romance.

For a very conservative nation like Nigeria that’s afraid to discuss sexuality and the pleasures of sex, Kiru Taye is a rebel whose writing challenges with no apologies the status quo of “silent” sex. And not to mention she is also a damn good writer … But her marketing? Her marketing is stellar, from beautifully designed book covers to cross platform marketing on several websites across the world. In a nutshell, Kiru Taye gets marketing/branding!

Think it’s a joke? Just google sex+romance+authors+Nigeria and her name would surely to pop-up in less than 0.043 seconds depending on your internet speed.

Read Kiru Taye’s sensual books here

#2 Sally Kenneth Dadzie

Sally was the first OkadaBooks, authors to crack N150,000 in sales in a single month. And since then she has not looked back. With the most books listed on the OkadaBooks Top 10 bestselling books of 2016, Sally has proved herself to be literary power house with hit after hit that leaves her fan base craving for more.

The most exciting thing about Sally’s success is that none of her books are printed, they are all e-books generated from her numerous and exciting moskedapages.com blog series. And her success is gradually showing that every day bloggers and authors like you and me can actually make a living from our writings.

But her success is not just in her content, but also in the community of readers she has been able to build and leverage to drive sales by rewarding them with engaging content consistently! She plans to debut some new novels in 2017 and we are sure she will crack yet another record!

Read Sally Kenneth Dadzie’s romance novels here

#1 Toke Makinwa

Unless you have been sitting under a rock, you would probably have heard about Toke Makinwa’s debut book On Becoming. It has been talked about here, here and here and even here and definitely over here. So much so that the fastest way to get abused on bellanaija.com in 2016 was to do a book review of On Becoming, like this one here by Sisi Yemmie, just read the savage comments!

But I think that’s what the bestselling authors are able to do, they find a way to be the center of our conversations whether we like it or not. While many might argue about the writing talents of Toke, what they can’t argue about is that her marketing has been epic. She has been able to package her controversy in a beautiful book and sell it for millions of Naira across the globe and that’s why she is the #1 top grossing author of 2016 on okadabooks.com

And please don’t stone us, but just in case you have not read On Becoming, you can do so here

PS: okadabooks.com would like to finally announce that after months and months of getting the question “Why is OkadaBooks not on the Apple App Store?” we have finally developed the OkadaBooks.com app for Apple and it looks very beautiful … so beautiful that you might sell your generator to buy an Iphone or Ipad!

Go to okadabooks.com/app to download the free IOS app today!

NOTE: They also have a flash light IOS app in case you sell your generator.

Thanks as always for riding rising with us in 2016 as we celebrated 100,000+ users!
Okechukwu Ofili
CEO, OkadaBooks

OkadaBooks is addicted to anything reading. Try it free! or join the conversation here.

1. Adaugo

January 4, 2017 at 11:49 am

NSG! That girl cracks me up. A well deserved list. I see my Tokstar baby. I got Sally’s book last night. Welldone guys. More ink to your pen

2. Tourpaline

January 4, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Well deserved!!!!

3. Funmi Adebayo

January 4, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Kudos to the authors and thanks to Okadabooks for making their good works readily available

4. Prime persona

January 4, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Welldone Naija SIngle GIrl. I follow your feed on Instagram after reading your post on IJGBs on BN a week ago. Is your book available on Kindle? I can’t seem to find the okadabooks app on my ipad

5. Tosin

January 4, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Well done writers. Sally of moskeda pages.com is my number 1 anyday, anytime. You guys need to check her blog. She’s a really great writer

6. Prime persona

January 4, 2017 at 12:11 pm

My bad I just saw it.

7. 4iiiis

January 4, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Kiru Taye writes the best romance novels. She is one of the reasons I love okada books app.❤❤❤❤❤❤

8. Felicia Denise

January 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Congratulations to Kiru Taye, and all the authors!

9. Jude

January 4, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Well deserved recognition for the authors of these books. Great books to read on okadabooks

10. Omolara

January 4, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Congratulations to the winners. I particularly love Kiru Tate. She is good. I am a huge fan of her work.
    Good job OkadaBooks.

• Omolara

January 4, 2017 at 12:47 pm

* Kiru Taye

11. derin

January 4, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Kudos the eh authors,espeically nsg…..i see you mami

12. Betty walamkolombo

January 4, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Great to hear that Okadabooks is now on Apple Store!

13. Agboola yusuf

January 4, 2017 at 1:02 pm

On becoming though, never thought toke makinwa was that popular. my friends were talking about it for weeks

14. Brenda

January 4, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Kiru and NSG fan here. Well done guys!!!

15. Suga

January 4, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Bellanija why did you people use Nyesom wikes picture for this writing? I was so sure he also wrote a book until I opened this page.. Make una take time this 2017 ooo!

16. Vee

January 4, 2017 at 1:33 pm

NSG!!! You’re definitely gonna make it big. God bless

17. Eunice

January 4, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Yea!!! Sally deserves it ooo. I love the way each of her characters have their flaws..it reminds me of the fact that nobody is perfect..no matter how good they seems to be….did I also tell you..Sally is always realistic…she inputs all current occurrences into her stories..? Ok..now you know. Sally Dadzie is B? A? E?

18. Chi

January 4, 2017 at 2:42 pm

I follow Bella Naija regularly it’s a part of my everyday life . My day isn’t well if I don’t visit the site. I’m quite angry I knew nothing of this . But yasssss my 2017 is about to get lit ! I’m joining now !!!!!

Well done ??????

19. Nnena

January 4, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Way to go NSG. You outdid yourself

20. Modupe

January 4, 2017 at 3:52 pm

And my sally dadzie is one awesome writer I can’t get over. Even my friends know that when I am glued to my phone or laptop screen , the next thing you hear is “you and that your writer, oo sally” they know the name already…And many more will know your name dear. You are on my no 1

21. The Fiksionist

January 4, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Saaaalllllllyyyyy!!!!!! Sally be dropping hits back to back! And i do not agree it is because of Fourth Finger. She has been killing it long time but now pepper be resting and she deserves more! Sally, the world hasn’t seen anything just yet!Congrats bawse!

Toke Makinwa, you turned your pain into gain o! Very well done.. Congrats!

22. Kemi Babalola

January 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Kiru taye is one of my favourite nigerian romance authors! Read all her books and love her work. So glad shes getting the recognisition she deserves!

23. Ollyfab

January 4, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Congratulations to Sally she is so so good, if u haven’t read her work pls do so

24. Ayabaodusote

January 4, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I am so happy that 2 of my favorite writers made the list Kiru TayeDiggs&utm_medium and Umari Ayim. I just downloaded Sally’s book. Thanks to okadabooks for making these books not only available but also affordable too.

25. adebayo

January 4, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Whoooo!!! That’s for Sally. I just love her ehn…her books her wow!. This is just the beginning..you aint read nothing yet.

26. Tosin

January 4, 2017 at 6:07 pm

sweet!

#Lovebirds

27. Simplygold

January 4, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Sally…way to go girl! Moskedapages is a site to be. A terrific hot writer, she is in touch with reality of Nigeria. As I would always write ‘ more ink to your pen’, bigger you in 2017.

28. MaryAnne Theodore

January 4, 2017 at 6:31 pm

The first time I came across NSG was on a site where her blog won ‘Humour blog of the year’ award and I decided to visit the blog and since then I have been following her up, am not surprise that her book is listed here. She deserves it

29. Lily

January 4, 2017 at 7:39 pm

I LOVE 29 SINGLE AND NIGERIA.

30. chinwe

January 4, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Kiru Taye is one writer I can never predict her story line. Have read a lot of her books and always look forward to her books. Kudos Okadabooks for recognising a rare talent.

31. Cherryðoc™

January 5, 2017 at 8:21 am

With lots of love from all of us at Naijasinglegirl.com
    Salud!
    Cherryðoc™

32. Cherryðoc™

January 5, 2017 at 8:31 am

Our own NSG made the list Yeaaaaaah! Dear NSG, I told you once, and I tell you again, you can only go up not down. You will never see a better yesterday! Keep doing you and the sky is yours for the taking. Grace is sufficient for you. And Pls, keep them wondering…remain anonymous for a long long time!
    With lots of love from all of us at Naijasinglegirl.com
    Salud!
    Cherryðoc™

33. Shama

January 5, 2017 at 9:41 am

I’m glad Kiri Taye’s work is being recognised. She’s going places and her novels are so captivating you want to read more! Nice job okadabooks.

34. Karo's Story Blog

January 5, 2017 at 9:43 am

Wow! Wonderful list. Weldone to all of them. They are all fantastic writers. Aunty Kiru, Aunty Sally, I see you o.

35. Oluwapelumi1

January 5, 2017 at 11:07 am

Yay!!!..Am not surprised by Madame Sally’s recognition cos I was hooked right from the first time I came across her write up @ 360nobs.com…though am one of ’em ghost readers.

36. Modus

January 5, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Wow all my favorite Authors, I discovered Kiru Taye by accident and boy was I blown away with their work! Sally is the gangsta story telling mama turned romance writer. Another interesting writer I have been following is Umari Ayim…Yeah I down loaded all 5books of apartment 7 before you made it one book ?. Tokes book was an eye opener. You do you babe!

37. Henza

January 5, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I’m not surprized Kiru Taye made the list. It’s epic reading her stories. Her story line is very original and chic.
    Congratulations y’all….!

38. Franc

January 6, 2017 at 12:31 am

NSG of life! Ain’t no stopping her.can’t wait to see her mount the stage to receive the Pulitzer Prize someday!!!!!!

39. rashidah