Events

Atoke presents Friday Night Banter! An Evening of Canapés, Connections & Conversations

Atoke

Flyer - Final Atoke

For three years, I wrote a weekly column called Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter. I didn’t really expect it to have any kind of traction; I just wrote for fun, and because writing gives me a lot of joy. Then, the column took on a life of its own and it became so much bigger than me. Yay! Banter…

Along with the thrill of writing, came the growth of the community of readers and the fantastic network in the comments section. Atoke’s Monday Morning became OUR thing on BellaNaija. I loved it, and even more fantastic for me was the fact that I was faceless. 🙂 I enjoyed the anonymity of it for two reasons: I could write and hide behind my computer, and secondly because I wanted my work to do talking – without any distractions.

However, a life without innovation and evolution is kinda boring you know? So, I’m going to bring Banter to life by hosting an evening with you guys in Lagos. We’re going to pick some of our favourite Banter pieces, talk about the issues raised and we’ll have a chance to network and generally have fun.

You get to choose which of the pieces I wrote in the course of three years. It seems like such a tedious task eh? I mean, this is not counting the things I wrote before October 2012, and then BN Hot Topic days. (Nobody should remind Uche that I dropped the ball on this!) Anyway, I’ve tried to choose a few that I think you guys might like to choose from, but you can always click on my profile to see old pieces.

So here’s some of the topic suggestions:

The one about the appropriate nomenclature for newly married friends/ new parents

The one about being a part of someone else’s wedding

The one about responsibility for your child’s upbringing

The one about your gender preference for you doctors

The one about office romance

The one about the nuances of illegitimacy of children

The one about consciously being in a relationship with a fraudster

The one about overly exposing children (yours & other people’s) on social media

The one about what YOU would do if you had a chance to rule Nigeria

The one about the freedom to come out of the closet

So, I’ve tried to narrow down 10 topics to choose from. Of course you can always tell me any one not on this list which you think will make for more interesting discourse.

I’ve shared this idea with a few people and they’ve graciously agreed to come on as partners for the evening. Special shout out to the BellaNaija Team. My amazing friends and colleagues who helped me beat this project into place.

Moremi Amuta of Euphorique PR who has done all the hard work and I’m just basically stepping in to take the shine of her hard work.

Gbubemi Fregene of Chef Fregz catering whose love and support for me is always unwavering.

Shola Aromokun of Konverge Media who offered us his services without flinching.

And of course my beloved cousin & his wife Goke and ‘Bimbo Balogun, the awesome duo behind SoFresh.  Family is everything!

I look forward to having a fun evening with you lovely people who read my work. However, we only have room for 20 people so you have to RSVP before the 10th of October.

If you wanna come and spend the evening with us, please send an email to atokeofficial(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Canapés. Connections. Conversations’ in the subject bar. In the body of the email, tell us three of your favourite articles, why you liked them and a confirmation that you’ll be available in Lagos on Friday the 14th of October, 2016.

You’ll be mailed an invite with details of the venue of the event.

Peace, Love & Celery sticks.

1. Glory Edozien

October 4, 2016 at 11:41 am

Yayyyyyy!!!! I am sooooooo there

Atoke

October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Lol… Girl!!! Like I expect anything less… Pfft!

2. Tayo

October 4, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Unfortunately, I won’t be in Lagos to attend this gtg. My favorite topic by Atoke is “If wishes were horses” posted on the 25th of March 2013, I responded by revealing my personal wish, people dragged me….but…. I got my wish….looking back now, I believe that particular post helped to shape how I saw myself, most importantly, it made me write down all I wanted and then, I worked towards them gradually….. God bless you Atoke.

Atoke

October 4, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Aww This really made me smile. Thanks so much for sharing this experience and I’m so happy that something I wrote helped you shape things for the better.

I hope to see you at the next event!

3. californiabawlar

October 4, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Yayyyy! I will definitely be attending when I enter Lagos!
    Congrats on your new project Atoke! I’m so excited…this is a very innovative way to finally have a BN meet-up!
    Three queshuuns: 1. Will Chef Fregz be catering? Will he be there? Apart from the food, I have the mightiest crush on him! He kinda reminds me of my dad…I’m disgusting, I know!…In fact we all know 😀
    2. More importantly, will you be writing about the hangout? You know like a feature with photos? Abeg carry the rest of Nigeria and the world along.
    3. Speaking of carrying along- Let me chime in for the Abuja and Port Harcourt peeps. Will you be taking the show on the road? You know body is always peppering them 😛

Atoke

October 4, 2016 at 3:02 pm

LOLLL @ Californiabawler!

1: Yes, he will be catering and he will be there. Lol @ the mightiest crush! LOL

2: Yes, I will be writing about the hangout… and yes there will be photos. Lol.. I think.

3: Hahaha the show will definitely go on the road when the book comes out later on in the year. 🙂

And yes, I look forward to seeing you.

Hey, we have to get name tags for everybody so we can properly network!

4. .....just saying

October 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Atoke, why Friday nah? Saturday would have been on point. Or even Sunday noon

Atoke

October 4, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Lol Sorry na! It’s a flying visit. I’m in a Lagos for a very short time ni. Oya don’t be mad. Okay?

5. Mr. Egghead

October 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Well done, Atoke
    Your boss moves are duly noted and approved

6. Fashionista

October 4, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Oh this is a fab idea! I definitely will try to attend. I was gonna suggest you consolidate all your beautiful articles into a book and then I saw your comment to Californiabawler ?.
    Well done Atoke ??

7. missfoodie

October 4, 2016 at 3:49 pm

I will be available on the 14th o,Atoke. I just sent you an epistle….lol. P.s: will there be wine? Good food, good wine and good company are my 3 favorite things in the world

Atoke

October 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I will bring a bottle to share with you. Your email had me rolling!!!!!

8. Moniker

October 4, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Atoke na!!! Na now wey I just come Abuja for course you decide to come around. We go manage pictures. I can’t wait to see what California brawler looks like. Please Ms SA should come o. I no wan hear story. All the best. ‘toke

• Mz Socially Awkward....

October 5, 2016 at 11:57 pm

I cometh not oh! *hot tears*

Perraps, Atoks will take this roadshow international and it’ll reach jand… Father, please look upon the endeavour begun by your daughter with Favour and show her more Grace by causing it to open wider doors for her, in Jesus Name.

Biko, you people should help me entreat C-Bawler not to kidnap chef fregz – some of us are still hoping to enjoy culinary offerings in his restaurant one day.

And awon BN Lagos peepu, wia iz you (in my Jenifa voice)?? My sisters Bobosteke and Bleedblue and Que and Ada Nnewi? Plus the brothers kwanu? Show ohhhhhhhh… Lerrus go & supportin’ awa own Toksy of life. 🙂 😉

(P.S: Atoke – I was incidentally eating a mango as I reminisced on https://www.bellanaija.com/2013/02/atokes-monday-morning-banter-show-some-respect-to-mommy-moyo/

‘E no reach those benue originals but ‘Twas a juicy next-best-alternative from LIDL 😀 )

9. Deevadoc

October 4, 2016 at 6:13 pm

The days when Atoke used to give us cupcakes and love. ?
    Fitfam changed it to celery sticks and carrots. ?

Life and all its evolving. Wish I were in Lagos, would have gatecrashed if I didn’t get an invite!
    Well done babess. You’ve come a mighty long way!

10. LemmeRant

October 4, 2016 at 6:42 pm

See how Atoke is only replying people she likes on the blog, You cannot reply Mr. Egghead abi? Miss Atoke?

• Linda

October 4, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Wait o I hope both of you aren’t the same person because you both say the same anti-women/riling/sexist/antifeminist/downright olodo stuff. That would just be so weird and hilarious. Daz nyz

11. Pipi

October 4, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Atoke don’t be doing portharcourt people like this oh! But then again I don’t flying down…. My best Atoke’s article was the ying to my yang! Chia I poured my heart out in the comment section! Years down the line I found the ying to my yang!

12. mama

October 4, 2016 at 7:31 pm

*crying* atoke it’s not fair. port harcourt nko? so because i don’t reside in lagos ehn