It is time to put an end to the wait as the short fashion film for the Spring/Summer 2010  “Control” Collection from Obsidian is finally here!!!

Synopsis: Three friends are on their way to a party when they hear a noise coming from a room in the house. They go to investigate and what they find changes the course of the rest of their night.

The 2.33 minute clip written and directed by Bolaji Kereke-Ekun lives up to my expectations. There is that  air of mystery and the element of surprise with the transformation at the end! It artistically depicts the “Control” Collection and what it promises to offer a woman. I applaud the innovative concept of the fashion film, and its ability to generate interest in the Collection and the brand.

I definitely will be peeking through those doors for more from Obsidian.  Will you?
Check out the video below.

85 Comments on In “Control”: Obsidian releases innovative fashion film for Spring/Summer 2010 Collection
  • Support local design May 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

The video really brought the clothes to life. Pieces that I originally thought “meh” suddenly seemed “hmmm”. I also appreciate the effort that must have gone into producing that, in order to give us fashion fans something different to look at. I never really paid any notice to obsidian, but they’ve definitely got my attention now. More grease to your elbow!

• DU May 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

it artistically depicts the “Control” Collection and what it promises to offer a woman. I applaud the innovative concept of the fashion film, and its ability to generate interest in the Collection and the brand.

• Bolaji Animashaun May 18, 2010 at 11:38 am

We HEART Obsidian……..:)

• tpop May 18, 2010 at 11:54 am

The clothes are lovely but the video was illogical and made no sense!
    the theme of control wasn’t emphasized or accurately portrayed through anything
    Artistic people arent all about being pretencious, the theme comes out through
    the art form. What in this video depicts control?

• honeybunbun May 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I love it! Brought the clothes to life for sure. A bit creepy in that psych thriller way. Tpop. Please explain what you are the greatest filmmaker would have done different to show control? Afterall laymen always have their opinions on the creation of professionals.

• dyi May 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

ooooh! thats different! i like, like it or not. its a very innovative way to showcase the designers clothes. obsidian has really been crawling but now she just might be jumping to the top. yes her clothes might not be the best, but she shows creativity and innovation to have taken this step. the film is fabulouuuusss! good work! i felt intrigued and curious as to what was going on. those girls in the room truely had control ;) keep up… nigerian designers on the come up! meanwhile lola maja….do better…

• Editrix May 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Really?!?! With all the hype in various fashion blogs and on twitter, this is mediocre at best. Let’ us be honest here-the only refreshing thing (as per Nigerian standard) here is Obsidan made a video. That’s all, c’est tout! Now to call this exciting, artistic or even innovative is to abuse the intelligence of your readers. The cutting and finishing is okay (and that is an improvement compared to the first collection) but that is where the ‘growth’ of Obsidan ends.

Go back to the drawing room, darling. You have talent there is no doubt about that but I don’t think you are ready to unveil your work to the world, yet. Draw, draw and perfect you’re your cutting and finishing touchings. And while you are at it, find a new videographer, models and then come up with refreshing ideas that draws your clients because the film did not reflect the film noir genre you clearly stated in the press release nor Rita Hayworth. Subtlety does not work in fashion film (see Karl Largerfield, Tom Ford). Without any doubt, you are the one to watch in the nascent Nigerian fashion industry but until then, you need to horn your talent/craft. Goodluck!

• Ebinehita November 19, 2010 at 4:41 pm

and what was the need for that comment? Id like to see you do better.

• j90 October 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm

you are soooooo right! exactly what i was thinking

• Efe May 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Wow! Very impressive…I love it.

@tpop – If u have thoroughly searched ur mind and have found nothing +ve to say about this video, then u should have jst kept ur mouth shut. This video has definitely taken this a step futher.

I really like it!

• omolewa May 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm

@ Editrix

I’d like to see where you’ll be in the next couple of years, when Obsidan will be a force to be reckoned with, while you’ll be in the corner still squeezing your face and mouth with so much venom and bitterness. Nonsense! (KAMT- kissing all my teeth!)

Come on! I dare say Tom Ford and Largerfield started great! Everyone has to start from somewhere.

Don’t belittle the (very obvious) effort that has been put into this work. I’m sure its a great feeling to have, to have to sit your behind down in your rather comfortable chair and dish out opinion and “criticism” like its something everyone cares about.

In future, if you have nothing positive to say, please steer clear of websites like Bella Naija that play their part in helping entrepreneurs and people with vision. Something I’m sure you’ll no nothing about! Ugh!

P.S , I guess I can say something positive may be gained from your comment, because it’s people like you who make others strive to succeed and do better. Hater!!

• tola May 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Shay she has the same budget as karl LAGERFELD? Besides Remember Now was a snorey something. I was so bored! 12 minute waste of time. He was criticised that it was 2literal and obvious for a cruise collection theme. Plix abeg. Not everything Chanel does is amazing. Allow the babe

• suri May 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Nicedresses

Hot models

• ehn May 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone’s got one!

I’m sure editrix is a fashion maven – like the rest of Nigeria. *yawn*

• nino May 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm

@ Editrix….doesnt your name just same it all…
    we ought to “edit” the hell out of you on bella naija…
    i dont know who made you an authority on creativity…
    so you know a few fashion names and your drop them about…yet you do not understand the concept of creativity! hiss
    It begins with little innovations and this my friend is how it starts….
    u better not be running your mouth again here cos i am now officially on your case!!!
    Olodo

• Isoken May 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the comments! It’s all feedback. :)

Isoken

• woookid May 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Editrix! Mama! Papa! Lay off that hater juice! Pleaseeeee! Its staining your soul. Did isoken tell you that she was gucci or chanel yet? She is a rising star. When you reach the bottom of her heels then you can mis yarn and we too can make ugly comments about your own work. Meanwhile, while you are hating and spewing venom. How about you try using spell check oh wait. Its not even spell check its just lack of knowledge on grammer rules. Babylove its HONE not horn her talents. Ciao xoxo

• car May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm

good job guys, proud of all of you. Signs of even greater things to come.
    special shout out to the producer and director–YOU DID IT!
    x

• ola May 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm

To be honest, I didn’t get the storyline of the video but I thought it was quite
    an interesting way of showcasing the clothes. I would have liked the lighting
    to be better because I couldn’t see the details of the clothes.
    That said, it’s a good line and I wish the designer all the best.

• Ada Owerri May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Welldone Isoken, the only way from here is up.

• Reen May 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I argee with Editrix, it is mediocre but i think Isoken would be able to improve over time, there is creativity but it doesnt transpire in the outfits. The designs are not fresh. Could and should do better.

• AB May 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Love the effort and idea!!
    Although the make-up was a tad shoddy.

• anon May 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Ijeoma’s reviews are becoming too over-the-top for my liking these days. A touch of criticism can only help.
    Good effort, Obsidian. Didn’t match the hype but it’s a start. And I don’t think the “Control”
    them came out all too well, if at all.

More grease!

• anon May 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

*theme

• Amaka May 18, 2010 at 7:38 pm

To all of you attacking Editrix and co

Fashion industry is a fiercely competitive industry. It is okay to criticize, really cause that is the way Obsidan can grow. A lot of established designers will tell that and even Anna Wintour criticizes Oscar de la Renta (and we all know how HUGE he is) so who is Obsidan that he/she is beyond criticism?

To Obsidan,
    I generally agree with Editrix and like she said YOU ARE THE ONE TO WATCH, so don’t despair or listen to people that you your work is perfect. It is not. You have talent so continue to practice and when you eventually showcase your work at Bryan Park (and I know you will), you will thank those that criticized you today cause they pushed you to be better than you are.

• tt May 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm

maximum creativity!!!

• madam d madam May 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm

u ppl on bella naija have come again o lol, omolewa i dnt think editrix said anything wrong her
    her comment was rather constructive in my opinion cus she highlighted at she
    didnt like and suggested ways to improve now thats wat u call constructive

on to the next, i really liked it, obsidian has got us talking and thats good
    well done babes, d sky is d limit

• Sugabelly May 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm

So I think it was cool that they made a video, and that’s innovative in the sense that most Nigerian fashion lines don’t make videos like that to promote their line.

On the other hand, it was also completely uninspiring because it was so European. I mean what was up with the cupcakes? I felt like they just had the cupcakes there because that is something that in America and Europe is associated with 1950s/Fairy Kei/ Modern Lolita/Alice in Wonderland/Tea Party class. i.e. the cupcakes are a VERY WHITE aesthetic and they are not at all representative of Nigeria or Nigerians or Nigerian women (who I am assuming are their target market). Cupcakes are not something Nigerians fetishize so to have them there in an attempt to hint at old world glamour/class/frivolity/whatever was really really misguided and it looked like they just copied what the general European aesthetic is in that sense.

The way it seemed to me, the only thing that really said Nigerian style in the whole video were some of the clothes and maybe the door, and it’s okay if that’s not what they were going for I get that, but as far as creativity goes, this was not exactly a tour de force. In other words, it could have been so much better and so much more creative so I’ll have to pass on the ‘innovation’ here.

That being said it doesn’t mean Obsidian isn’t a good line or that they don’t have great clothes, and it also doesn’t mean that their video wasn’t nice. It was, but that’s the problem… it was …just nice.

• O.L.O May 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm

OMG….Not it…not it at all…

I’m sorry, but its not werking for me. The designs, the video…all of it aint right.
    Obsidian…food for thought, u need to spend a lil more time designing. as far as i’m concerned these are knock offs of a rihanna dress and blah…no originality whatsoever.

spend a lil more time working on the designs.

my thoughts

• moi May 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

i was so lyk bored, as in i didnt get the concept of the movie, i am lyk wassup,
    i didnt get to see the clothes, so am presently nt anticipating anything. I like expected more with all the hype, nw i am sorely disappointed. It was all bad

• phunshots May 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Flawlessly Innovative, didnt know what to expect, Liked what i found.

• woookid May 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm

What should they have put there instead of cupcakes? Amala or eba? Pick ur choice.

• TooLegit May 18, 2010 at 11:50 pm

1) @Editrix you CANNOT possibly expect to be taken seriously on any level. You’re an “Editrix” but your post is rife with grammatical and syntactical errors. Ironically, You “abused the intelligence” of those of us who had to read your post. If you actually were saying anything “constructive”, I was distracted. What publication employs you again?

2) @Sugabelly you win for stupidest, most nonsensical, and just-plain-retarded post. You gave us a thesis on…. CUPCAKES. Nigerians don’t eat/bake/enjoy-the-hell-out-of cupcakes? I’m Nigerian and I know I sure as hell do lol. I didn’t know baked goods (which are enjoyed WORLDWIDE) could be race-related. Wish I could say you taught me something, but haha deep down even you know you didn’t. LOL You Fail, Do Not Pass Go, Please Try Again.

3) Please don’t get me wrong, not everyone has to like something, and there is NOTHING wrong with constructive criticism– keyword: Constructive. A lot of you people that frequent this site just like to talk, complain, “hate” for the sake of it, without even giving any thought to what you are putting out there. It’s a sickening aspect of Nigerian mentality in general. Learn the difference between constructive criticism and hating, use a little brainpower when analyzing and interpreting things you see before you. It will take you a long way.

Oh, MY opinion? Wish I didn’t have to say that the concept may be beyond a “Nigerian Level” of understanding, meaning I wish Nigerians could step out of their stifling boxes and Not have a hard time dealing with things that are Progressive. It’s hard for me to believe Obsidian would want her designs to be confined to the borders of Nigeria. If that was the case then this would have been a Nollywood-esque film. I doubt her target demographics are limited to a single race of woman. The designs AND the film have aspects of European, American, AND Nigerian aesthetics, which is a Good thing. It is a SOLID, Classy effort by Obsidian- the designs are nice, well-executed, and it makes me want to see more from this designer. The film is artistic, innovative, and a very appropriate marketing tool that compliments the designer’s vision and brand. And bottom-line, it’s great to see my generation of Nigerians producing great things. Can we get a part 2?

• oohoo May 19, 2010 at 1:02 am

@Editrix fashion film expert. Wt r three main aspects of a noir? A. Element of Danger b. Femme Fatale/detective type c. Mystery

U ddnt get any of dat in the whole 2 mins? Abi we no dey watch d same film?

Abeg read d ladybrille review, go and see someone dat knows wat she is talking about

@ Amaka

Very good points! Criticism is vital. Assumg d babe kias sha. But you know … Odlr + Anna Wintour … Obsidian + … Who u be again?

I’m sure you see my point. If she listens to EVERYONE, baby no go sell cloth

@O.L.O Rihanna ? Really

@ Sugabelly lol. Lol and LOooolll abi they should quaff eba and egusi abi?
    I reserve my comments

@obsidan babe do you. I’m sure you know what you want from life, and hw u need to improve . All dese ones re just yaning

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 1:12 am

@TooLegit: Obviously reading is becoming difficult. I NEVER said that Nigerians do not eat cupcakes.

I DID say that Nigerians do not FETISHIZE cupcakes nor are cupcakes REPRESENTATIVE of the Nigerian Experience.

Ode! Learn to read.

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 1:14 am

And you know what? For someone who claims to be touting “constructive criticism” perhaps you should take your own advice.

Seriously, if you did not read and understand my comment, DO NOT talk to me.

• DrealMimi May 19, 2010 at 1:40 am

Nigerians sef! What I dont understand is, its a free world and every one is entitled to their opinions. We all dont have to like the video or the clothes and as long as the designer wants to be public then she should expect that there are people that will not like what she has to offer. No need to insult others bcos they dont like what they see. Being in the spotlight has its down sides as well, not every1 will like u. BTW I thot d vid was cool.xx

• DrealMimi May 19, 2010 at 1:44 am

@TooLegit : why r you taking it too personal? writing all these essays and insulting others,seems 2 me lyk ur d designer. LMAO! tk a chill pill hun.

• oohoo May 19, 2010 at 2:01 am

@dreal mimi you have come oh! Drama. D designer has alrdi commented as haself

@Sugabelly u knw d designer before? Representative of th nigerian experience? Dd dey say its an advert for proudly nigerian?

U neva answer me oh! Na tuwo and talking drum you want abi?

All ds over racialising, must represent alack in urself. Always fighting racial causes even where there are none! I hope to God say u no go just box your own eye wt dis ur fight. you dey even live for Nigeria? Just dey yan dey go dey go

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 2:16 am

@oohoo: I didn’t say what they should put there because at the end of the day it’s THEIR video. I was just pointing out that the cupcakes were an awkward choice.

I find it fascinating when people assume that just because someone either does not like something or mentions something less than flattering then automatically “they have issues”.

My living in Nigeria or not does not change the fact that I’m Nigerian so I think I have the right to comment as I wish on issues related to Nigerians. And if I talk about racial issues it’s because I want to talk about them. If you don’t want to talk about them, then don’t.

• ediri May 19, 2010 at 2:16 am

Guys chill out! If you don’t like it don’t watch it

• anon May 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

Don’t watch it if you don’t like it!

• tari May 19, 2010 at 2:28 am

Na wa sha. Sugabelly, there’s a diff btw subtly referncing your roots and banging and bashing the point. With a name like Isoken Ogiewonyi I doubt that anyone will doubt her african-ness. Have you thought that maybe evryone doesn’t have to bang on abt a point for it to be legit? I’ll have you know that cupcakes r very popular n Lagos, bt I knw u’ll just make some long winded europeanisation point. *drops mic*

• TooLegit May 19, 2010 at 2:33 am

@Sugabelly LMAO! I touched a nerve?! “Ode”?? I’m offended! Obviously I read your comment, so there is no need to take snippets of your post out of context and repeat them back to me. Your whole explanation of what cupcakes represent is not smart nor sophisticated, its just plain erroneous, nonsensical, and what was the word you used? Oh yea, “misguided”. Lol did YOU read your post (and all of mine)?
    But maybe as others above suggested if it was Eba instead, or maybe even puff puff, you would be satisfied. But so much time spent on cupcakes and their 3-second cameo, you didn’t wanna address anything else I said? Oh we’re not talking? Oh okay. :)

@Drealmini your interpretation was that I took it personally? I guess maybe because I wrote so much (oops LOL), but that’s interesting. I didn’t take it personally though, just gave my thoughts on several things- I touched on more than just the designs and the video in my comment. I’m def. not the designer though. I just appreciate nice work, and fed up with peoples trifling comments. :)

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 2:38 am

@Tari: Read my comment again. I never said people in Nigeria don’t eat cupcakes. I said Nigerians do not FETISHIZE cupcakes.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!

• Ibo Omoge May 19, 2010 at 2:42 am

LOL@ tari…..

• tade May 19, 2010 at 6:32 am

@sugabelly i understand what you mean about the cupcakes but i dont quite agree. your associating cupcakes with the caucasian race is flawed! so only white people are obsessed with cupcakes? there are a lot of nigerian women who like cupcakes. NOTE -cupcakes are sold in the streets of obalende in those white clear glass containers, they are just not as decorated as the ones in the video.
    you can get standard cupcakes at any bakery in nigeria, be it ojuelegba.
    you said they are not representative if the african experience? would you have preferred puff puff or mosa in the video?
    it seems from your comment that you are too quick to jump onto any symbol pertaining to racial issues.
    i thought the video was innovative for an african but wouldnt stand out on the international market.]
    the video quality, makeup, dresses are mediocre at best
    i would really love to see more from the designer.

• tade May 19, 2010 at 6:37 am

oh yeah, i loved the quirkiness and suspense of the video. but i still cant get over the fact that the model’s faces were oily! smh!

• princessella May 19, 2010 at 11:02 am

Great video. I like it. It entertained me. You didn’t like it. No need to get all worked up and passionate hating it. Gawsssh! But art does invoke strong reaction so hey! This is ART.

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm

@Tade: I believe you misunderstood my comment. LIKING cupcakes, and EATING cupcakes is not the same as FETISHIZING cupcakes.

In Nigeria, the height of the significance of cupcakes is that they are eaten and enjoyed for the food that they are. That is fine.

In Europe however, where cupcakes originated, and in America, they (cupcakes) have achieved almost cult like status and have transcended mere food and become almost an iconic symbol (of many things, including some of the ones I mentioned – Alice in Wonderland fashion, Fairy Kei, etc)

My point is: Cupcakes do not represent anything like this in Nigeria. In Nigeria, cupcakes are nothing more but food and not even an important food at that. They have NO SIGNIFICANCE beyond their caloric value for Nigerians and that is why I said that by putting cupcakes in that video and using them for the purpose they were used in the video it represented a very European aesthetic because cupcakes are only used that way for that kind of symbolism in America, Europe and their followers (ee.g. Japan – who we all know are just copying Europeans, notably Victorian or Gothic English fashion, totems, symbols, etc)

Everyone that has responded to my comment so far seems to have made the assumption that I am saying that Nigerians don’t eat cupcakes or that Nigerans don’t like cupcakes. Yes, Nigerians eat cupcakes and probably like them, but they still aren’t REPRESENTATIVE of the Nigerian Experience. Just because we might occasionally eat them does not make them representative of us. After all I’m sure that there must be at least one good sushi place in Lagos if not more. Does that now mean that Sushi is a food representative of Nigerians? No. Just as Indian food, Chinese food, or whatever individual random foods we consume occasionally and even occasionally seek out are not representative of Nigerians, so too are cupcakes.

Finally, I did not bash the video. Somebody accused me of being a hater just because I pointed out what was problematic with the video (surprise, surprise) but noone seems to realise that I said the video was nice although not particularly inspiring.

Either way, I hope you understand now what I was saying about the cupcakes.

• Dorah May 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Sugabelly is right. I fully agree with her and I truly believe her comments about the video and cupcakes were dead on. The video should have focused on the beauty of the Nigerian culture. The cupcakes shot takes away from the video, giving it an European feel that does not truly represent our culture. Is the video bad though, no it is not. Are the designers bad, no they are not, but we need to use symbols and artifacts in our films that are connected with our wonderful culture. The main problem that I have with Naija artists is that they somehow revert heavily back to American/European influences while still claiming to produce fully Nigerian work. Sugabelly is right and she is NOT hating.

• Oga O May 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

As in this sugabelly person is doing my head in mehn lol, d way she
    emphasises the ‘FETISHIZING’ as if it make a great diffrence, its just
    cupcakes for goodnes sake, so what they wernt trying to b all Nigerian
    so whattttttt??? geeeez get over it already ur ramblings about d cupcake was silly
    very silly *end off*

• LadyTee May 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm

@ Sugabelly, your analysis of the use of cupcakes is a bit of a stretch. There were many things that you you could have used in your deconstruction of the video. The cupcakes are a small
    component of the video so I’m not sure that your analysis of the “cupcakes” actually
    contributes anything to the points you’re trying to make.

I see you’re trying to defend your analysis regarding the “cupcakes”. Everyone makes unfounded
    and silly comments at times; it’s no big deal. You made a comment that really doesn’t make sense.

No need to write multiple dissertations sha.

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

@LadyTee: The intent of my original comment was not to deconstruct the video. I only wanted to comment on a few components of the video. My comment was not silly and I’m not trying to “defend” it. If you don’t like my comment then say so. Either way it doesn’t change the fact that I think the cupcakes were unnecessary. And as for my comments regarding the cupcakes being “a bit of a stretch” I’m not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. What I said about cupcakes being fetishized, iconic, and occupying almost cult status in Europe, Japan, and mostly caucasian America is FACT. What I said about supcakes not having such status in Nigeria and not being a pop cult object in Nigeria is ALSO FACT.

So… I don’t really understand how my comment is silly or unfounded. I never said you should take what I said at face value any way. If you don’t believe me, then fine, go do your own research. The evidence is EVERYWHERE.

And just because cupcakes are a small inconsequential food item does not make my wish to discuss them ridiculous.

My comment DOES make sense but I can’t guarantee that everyone will understand it.

• Sugabelly May 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

@Oga O: The word DOES make a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.

• anon May 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm

@ #49: “The video should have focused on the beauty of the Nigerian culture.”

What the f*#% is this nonsense?????? Do Nigerians have an obligation to only
    rep Nigeria? They can’t give nods to their other influences??????? African designers
    must only use African models in their collections? You people on BellaNaija make me
    SICK. Please stop prescribing the boundaries of “art”. It makes you sound like a complete idiot.

@ sugabelly: “the cupcakes are a VERY WHITE aesthetic and they are not at all representative of Nigeria or Nigerians or Nigerian women (who I am assuming are their target market).”

WHAT? WHAAAAAAT? This is bullshit. The Nigerian women she’s targeting are probably fairly well-off, went to school abroad, wear weaves, and love cupcakes :-) She knows her market, sugabelly!

That said, this video didn’t match the hype and certainly didn’t make me more inclined to buy her clothes. Oh well. #ontothenextone

• sarah May 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I’m sorry but the video was rubbish I didn’t notice the clothes it could have
    been better. It’s good to think out of the box but the idea was to sell the clothes
    and I’m just not sold

• JEN May 19, 2010 at 9:51 pm

lets give it to her its the first of its kind in the fashion industry in Nigeria and for that sole resason obsidan deserves kudos….
    welldone isoken. stay focused and the sky is definitely just the beginning

• sholly babe May 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Lol….obsidan is not the first tailor to make a fashion video. The last time I checked, the cranberry girls made a fashion video for their latest cranberry africa video weeks and weeks ago. Check it out at cookiecaven.blogspot.com
    I think the video is cute, the styling is on point but the clothing wasn’t showcased properly…it looks more like an ad for a nightclub/lounge. Kudos to her though but a long way to go.

• xuxu May 20, 2010 at 1:24 am

I LOVED IT! quite quirky fun and fresh. i havent seen anything like it before. luv that black dress! keep it up! i hope more designers make films now! quite exciting!!!

• tade May 20, 2010 at 4:35 am

@sugabelly this issue of ‘cupcakes’ will be settled if we knew the designers reason for placing the cupcakes in the video. as u said, ‘not everything should be taken at face value’, do not jump to the assumption that the designer/director meant the cupcakes to refer the white’s fetishization of the object. maybe the director/designer thought ‘hey, wouldnt cupcakes look cool, i saw it in a lady gaga video’ or maybe it reminded her of 1940 tea parties, scones and high glamour.
    do not readily jump to racial conclusions and misrepresentation of the ‘african experience’

ahan! shooo! all this one just for cupcakes?!
    oh p.s i love your blog.

• Dorah May 20, 2010 at 5:23 am

anon…
    it’s not that serious. i just stated my opinion.

• Oga o May 20, 2010 at 7:16 am

Na wa o, Sugarbelly, I’ve come again with your wahala. That’s how you went on and on and on on Solomonsydelle’s blog. You don’t have to reply everyone and get into an argument. Just say your piece one time and go. I’m sure you’re a lovely person, but you seem like you like wahala too much. Not a very attractive quality. Please chill oh my sister, cos in sure these people replying you enjoying winding you up and you fall for the bait. xoxo :-)

• Oga o May 20, 2010 at 7:20 am

P.s, I’m sorry I meant “you’ve come again with your wahala” :-)

• JOy May 20, 2010 at 7:21 am

Thought the video’s concept was amazing and appreciate that it didn’t lose site of the garments’ details in telling such an eeeerie story, totally Dark & Lovely…only qualm was the winker, but as I don’t have a cute wink myself I’ll hold my tongue ;-)

• haha May 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm

people this video is good!! and the message is control, taking control over the cupcakes…
    the bitter person who has been complaining about cupcakes all day, please can you tell me
    a nigerian food item that we need “control” to overcome eating ehn? i didnt think so, so please
    stop being a hater! well done obsidian the talent speaks for itself!!
    bye haterz!

• bebelube May 21, 2010 at 12:31 am

@haha ur such a mumu. ‘control over the cupcakes”? lolololololol
    the video is one youl either love or hate. i hate it. but its good how isoken
    is takin the criticism. not everybody can love your work.

• ppicturelady May 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

oi, you going on about cupcakes, will yo common and sharrap!!!…. Love the vid, good job Isoken

• bli May 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I saw a higher quality version of this film on vimeo and i liked it better! Also i liked that they added the extra layer of meaning with the Janet Jackson voice-over from her control song.

• Modupe Olukoya May 21, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hmmmm sugabelly, you need to calm down. You really do overflog (if that is a word) an issue. We get the point, we might not agree with you, but we can read. Personally I get turned of when you go on an on and it is somewhat insulting so people tend to lash out at you. Can we just agree to disagree or can you just accept the fact that you came across a little differently from what you intended….

Why do we have to insult each other over liking or not liking something. People do not have to agree on something, one mans meat is another mans poison…. even criticism that is constructive to one person might not be constructive to another. Pls can we stop with all the bickering, “voltroning” and personal attacks, it is not necessary.

@ Obsidian, this is clearly an improvement from your last collection. I was not crazy about the clothes, what got my attention were the jewelry, especially the earrings (don’t know why) That is what stood out to me. I love the film. In my opinion it did what it was supposed to do.

I am especially proud that my Naija Gen Y’ers are doing it big. It is really inspiring. Lets not diminish it with bickering and personal attacks in the guise of “constructive criticism” .

• beautiful iris May 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Is it me or this site is turning into a HATER’S HAVEN?

I don’t even know where to start…seriously guys, this is a video for a collection.
    Did you see the clothes?did you like them??yes?Good!..no?then jump into the
    Lagoon o.There’s something called constructive criticism and i keep hammering
    on this..CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM…seriously,how would you feel if for every
    time you go to work,get a job done,show your boss and he/she is like dumb-ass this
    is crap..wouldn’t you feel better if your boss said”you didn’t get it right this time,
    keep at it and i know you’ll do great.

No matter how bad you think this video is,time,energy and effort was put into it.
    Someone/people’s dreams were involved.Appreciate that and like a normal
    thinking human being lay your opinion.

I don’t know Isoken,but for this video i say kudos.Keep at it and may your
    dreams come alive.

@the “cupcakes”lady…na wa for you!..You just had to talk sha.Silence is golden.
    You had to single out the cupcake in the whole of the video.If that video was
    done by McQ for e.g,you’ll be full of praises right?

Nigerians,women in particular,may God help us.

• tpop May 21, 2010 at 9:53 pm

It is unfortunate that some people confuse being a hater, with good old fashioned constructive criticism.Someone even critisized me saying if i have nothing positive to say then i should keep my mouthshut meanwhile i started my comment saying “i think the clothes are lovely”
    i mean seriously??? I certainly didnt come here to randomnly start a fight or anything
    the fact of the matter is if you showed this video to Andre Leon Talley, Anna WIntour
    even Tyra Banks just anyone working as a professional in the fashion industry they wouldnt
    accept this as a finished fashion film piece so why should I. Can one firmly stand up and say any of THEM would see this applaud it and promote this or put their money behind this ??? Me i dont know
    how to make a film from scratch and neither does Anna Wintour but just because you dont know how TO DO something doesnt mean you cant recognise when someone isn’t doing it right! At the end of the day they should have released this until they could afford the right camera the perfect set etc. See the way people suffer to make movies abroad! AVATAR took more than 3 YEARS to make!!! when you live in a world where you see people doing things to utter perfection then i think its safe to harshly say that something is “quite crap” So because i am Nigerian i should be ok with a second rate version of a fashion movie??? I want people that i can boast about and try to show their movie in CANNES! can i take this to the Cannes film festival??? well that is why i dont make movies, whatever like to do i do it WELL something that can compare with international standards!! When I CANT DO IT then i let people know that look oh, i wont be doing this anymore or i will need more time or perhaps i need to go to a special school for this. Editrix two thumbs up you said it like the truth….everyone should aim hire and be honest!

• xuxu May 22, 2010 at 12:52 am

tpop if you do everything to international standards. why aint we seen none of your stuff on the internet? try again. womp womp.FAIL!

• beautiful iris May 22, 2010 at 11:48 am

Tpop……………..shush jo!

• tpop May 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Um because i am still in university and i dont work in the media. So why would
    I be on the internet?? So you honestly think this fashion video can be taken
    to somewhere like Cannes?

So everyone who does things by international standards in their ordinary life should
    be on the internet?? I dont work in film but if i did i would make sure it was up to global
    standards before releasing anything! just like everyone else in France, Italy or America
    So basically if some1 cant do something they cant critisize it? Just because i cant cook a delicious
    Okro soup doesnt mean i wont be able to taste a rubbish Okro soup and say it is disgusting

Even if Jamie Oliver one of the best cooks in the world made the Okro soup, there is a particular way to make it and if he cooks it wrong some1 should be able to tell him Jamie this Okro soup isnt that great. Everyone is behaving as if they havnt gone to the cinema and seen how FILMS ARE MADE.

So basically my comment is a fail because. 1)YOU honestly think that the 3 people i mentioned in fashion would accept this film as finished AND
    2) i can confidently take this to a film festival like Cannes??

Please before commenting on my comment i would like anyone to first answer these 2 questions honestly. as i said we arent here to fight and its good to learn from each other

• beautiful iris May 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm

tpop…………………get over your dumb analysis and go and study jo…

• tpop May 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm

yes im sorry it is quite dumb. Why should I even expect us to be competing in somewhere
    like Cannes. There is a difference between Nigerian Standards and International Standards
    and I guess I should just accept it.

Even politely asking for an honest converstion or civil response to my comment
    is obviously too much too ask of us.

As you can see through out my comments i have calmly stated my opinions and insulted
    no one…
    How sad :/

• Ibo Omoge May 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Na wah ooo….All these people bringing their thesis documents to Bellanaija….I tire oo

• Passerby May 22, 2010 at 6:46 pm

@Tpop did it ever occur to you that they might have done this video on a budget? The kinds of videos that get shown to the likes of Anna Wintour are done on 500,000 to million DOLLAR budgets. This is a budding designer and there is no reason why she should put her dream of making a fashion film on hold just because she doesn’t have the million dollars to bring it up to Cannes standards yet. It is a STARTING POINT, that is very clear.. there’s a reason she’s referred to as a “budding” designer.

• Mercury May 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Hmm…here we go again! Its not by force to like something o! People have their different opinions!
    Ok,here’s my take-i think it was a brilliant idea,but i’m not overly impressed with the finished product. That,coupled with the fact that there was lot of hype preceding the release of this film, makes it seem rather mediocre. As for the clothes,i’m not overly impressed either. The designer seems very creative and talented,so i expect she’d take the criticism in her stride and do much better next time.

Different strokes/different folks!

• Mercury May 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

…and there’s nothing wrong with the cupcakes.lol!

• chica May 23, 2010 at 4:05 am

tpop..thats your problem boo. you are still in school and arent living real life. still filled with naive dreams… dont worry young one. you shall grow. in the meantime take yourself back to your books and keep your nose outta grown folks business. besos chica.

• Lina May 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Guys…. wow lotsa comments… just a few words i cldn obviously read the 80 comments cos i have a life and better things to do unlike the ones that just come and diss people on here :p
    its a free world people can say what they want, freedom of speech..its then up to Isoken to take the good, the bad whatever. Spend a day with Anna wintour…what gives her the right to talk to people anyhow or decide whats right in the fashion world? but it is what it is.
    cldnt figure out the theme in the video…HOWEVER , i repeat HOWEVER the dresses were refreshing, different i still cant forget the orange aso oke trousers by isoken bunze…
    GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND STOP ACTING LIKE CHILDREN by attacking each other,,,,Nigerians una get issues lighten up !

• Lina May 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

pls BElla i begg u to bring replies to comment back…it makes the world go round….chai!

• Viola May 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I was intrigued by the video. I have never heard of Obsidian before now and i’m definitely a lot more curious about them. Look forward to seeing more from them and probably being a proud owner of an attire by them. The comments are quite interesting, got people talking at least, id say the objective of the video has been achieved. Kudos!